FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Phantom707 Aug 31, 2015 1:23 am

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25353622)
Anyway, can you use amex network CC to link and load online, $200 per day, $1000 maximum per month? or even this shouldn't be attempted.

For the umpteenth time, yes, you can do that. Just make sure it's a real credit card and not an Amex gift card.

czech99 Aug 31, 2015 8:41 am

I'm probably going to answer my own question, but can I meet my min spend on my platinum card by loading it to my Serve account. Then either withdrawing they money at an ATM or depositing back into my bank account? I dont have any Walmarts with a Kate near me and unable to load simon visa gc's at my Walmart too. I dont really have any other bills to pay just small ones. It would take me 4-5 months to unload that from my Serve

Phantom707 Aug 31, 2015 9:29 am

Originally Posted by czech99 (Post 25355135)
I'm probably going to answer my own question, but can I meet my min spend on my platinum card by loading it to my Serve account. Then either withdrawing they money at an ATM or depositing back into my bank account? I dont have any Walmarts with a Kate near me and unable to load simon visa gc's at my Walmart too. I dont really have any other bills to pay just small ones. It would take me 4-5 months to unload that from my Serve

Yes, you can do that. You could also just withdraw straight from within the Serve online interface to your checking account (there's an option under settings). Or you could just directly bill pay the Platinum card from Serve. All carry some amount of risk. The least risky is the last option, believe it or not.

czech99 Aug 31, 2015 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25355412)
Yes, you can do that. You could also just withdraw straight from within the Serve online interface to your checking account (there's an option under settings). Or you could just directly bill pay the Platinum card from Serve. All carry some amount of risk. The least risky is the last option, believe it or not.

ok i dont need to do my entire min spend but i plan on doing at least 1.5-2k on it the rest i can do easily from daily things.

thanks ^

Red259 Aug 31, 2015 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25355412)

Where is the risk here? Is it a risk of serve getting upset or Amex? I just got the amex plat but will likely be hooking my new citi premier card up to serve and just using the amex plat on regular bills and paying it off from the serve.

cdancer20 Aug 31, 2015 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25355773)
Where is the risk here? Is it a risk of serve getting upset or Amex? I just got the amex plat but will likely be hooking my new citi premier card up to serve and just using the amex plat on regular bills and paying it off from the serve.

Unless you have the grandfathered SoftServe, you will not be able to connect you Citi Premier to Serve. It's a MasterCard, not Amex. The risk is from Amex. However many many of people around here, load to Serve with CC XYZ and then directly pay credit card XYZ from their Serve account with no AA. Very few cases of Serve shutdowns as compared to the number of users. (For now). However, if you feel better, you can pay ANY credit card from Serve.

Red259 Aug 31, 2015 11:35 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 25355890)
Unless you have the grandfathered SoftServe, you will not be able to connect you Citi Premier to Serve. It's a MasterCard, not Amex. The risk is from Amex. However many many of people around here, load to Serve with CC XYZ and then directly pay credit card XYZ from their Serve account with no AA. Very few cases of Serve shutdowns as compared to the number of users. (For now). However, if you feel better, you can pay ANY credit card from Serve.

I do have a grandfathered softserve card.

nfpa70e Aug 31, 2015 11:36 am

Went Window shopping to couple of nearby store before the new TYP CC arrives. FD did have non vanilla VGC in 500 denominations but told me you can not use CC to pay the VDC. ( did not actually try it, just asked the guy at the counter). Riteaid, Walgreens, tops have vanilla VGCs only. Staples, didn't have $500 VGC.

Vanilla or my Vanilla doesn't work at WM. Can it work in FD? Where are you people buying your VGC and what brand?

Phantom707 Aug 31, 2015 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25355773)

I'm almost always typing from my mobile, so I can rarely ever explain things in depth.

I meant that if you withdraw from an ATM or withdraw to your checking account, then Amex may see that as a way to get a free cash advance that they pay. There used to be reports of shutdowns for this behavior, but those have dwindled to basically no reports recently because basically no one does it anymore. Arguably, bill paying the card that you used to load Serve is less risky than withdrawing.

civicmon Aug 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25356076)
Went Window shopping to couple of nearby store before the new TYP CC arrives. FD did have non vanilla VGC in 500 denominations but told me you can not use CC to pay the VDC. ( did not actually try it, just asked the guy at the counter). Riteaid, Walgreens, tops have vanilla VGCs only. Staples, didn't have $500 VGC.

Vanilla or my Vanilla doesn't work at WM. Can it work in FD? Where are you people buying your VGC and what brand?

Vanilla works fine at FD. I've liquidated a few there as recently as yesterday.

A couple of local Walgreens has $500s and takes CCs for them.

nfpa70e Aug 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon (Post 25356583)
Vanilla works fine at FD. I've liquidated a few there as recently as yesterday.

A couple of local Walgreens has $500s and takes CCs for them.

At FD, do you grab VGC from the rack, walk up to the cashier and say you need to load serve? or first you buy the VGC with the CC and the load it to the serve?

or did you buy Vanilla GC at somewhere else and loaded it at FD?

What brand VGCs did you buy from Walgreens?

adobe Aug 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Something changed!!!

I was able to load serve at the Walmart cashier, but not longer. Initially everything was the same as before, after swiping the VGC, entered the PIN, the register showed "authorization" and then "approved", but the load was not successfully. I had to go to the money center in the same Walmart to load, which worked fine like before.

cdancer20 Aug 31, 2015 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25356891)
At FD, do you grab VGC from the rack, walk up to the cashier and say you need to load serve? or first you buy the VGC with the CC and the load it to the serve?

or did you buy Vanilla GC at somewhere else and loaded it at FD?

What brand VGCs did you buy from Walgreens?

Since you are new to this, you should take time to read the "New to Manufactured Spending" thread. It is the top thread in the "Manufactured Spending" forum. It answers a lot of these questions. This is especially true before you start spending real money and something doesn't go right. (It happens all the time.) Good luck!

Red259 Aug 31, 2015 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25356301)
I'm almost always typing from my mobile, so I can rarely ever explain things in depth.

I meant that if you withdraw from an ATM or withdraw to your checking account, then Amex may see that as a way to get a free cash advance that they pay. There used to be reports of shutdowns for this behavior, but those have dwindled to basically no reports recently because basically no one does it anymore. Arguably, bill paying the card that you used to load Serve is less risky than withdrawing.

Oh ok. I get that logic. I just use serve to pay other cards anyway.

nfpa70e Aug 31, 2015 4:30 pm

Since you are new to this, you should take time to read the "New to Manufactured Spending" thread.
Have you read the wiki and the forum? It appears to me you haven't or you don't really understand what was written, how many places you will find : Vanilla doesn't work

So when Civicmom said she was able to load Vanilla, I'm asking the follow up question. How hard is this to understand? Just because people ask questions, doesn't mean they don't know anything. If wiki has all the answer then this should be a locked thread. Come on people think a little!