FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

jcm55a Aug 16, 2015 8:18 pm

don't care about points but want to meet min

I saw the Wiki for Serve and it says if you want to load it using an AMEX card, it may count to meeting minimum spend but I wanted some clarification.

Does anyone know if SPG card does work with Serve to meet the min spend? I just signed up for Serve today (8.16.15) and never MS'ed before but would just like a quick way to meet the min spend by loading it online to pay rent. I don't have time to deal with WM with GCs like the pros, so that's not really an option right now.

I was looking to pick up a hotel card soon as well so would prefer to use that for regular spending to meet the min spend and hopefully the Serve + SPG to meet the latter's min spend.

Thoughts? I did read the Wiki thoroughly, so please don't just say go read it... the "may" isn't very helpful for this specific case. Thanks in advance.

craz Aug 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by jcm55a (Post 25280924)
I saw the Wiki for Serve and it says if you want to load it using an AMEX card, it may count to meeting minimum spend but I wanted some clarification.

Does anyone know if SPG card does work with Serve to meet the min spend? I just signed up for Serve today (8.16.15) and never MS'ed before but would just like a quick way to meet the min spend by loading it online to pay rent. I don't have time to deal with WM with GCs like the pros, so that's not really an option right now.

I was looking to pick up a hotel card soon as well so would prefer to use that for regular spending to meet the min spend and hopefully the Serve + SPG to meet the latter's min spend.

Thoughts? I did read the Wiki thoroughly, so please don't just say go read it... the "may" isn't very helpful for this specific case. Thanks in advance.

!- if you read the Serve Wiki why didnt you post this on that thread where it belongs , rather then start a new thread?

2- if I understand you you dont care about not earning any SPG pts when using the Amex SPG CC to load your Serve. But are only interested in getting the 30k for meeting the min spend on the SPG CC. Then you will continue to load your Serve via the SPG CC in order to pay your rent WHY? you might as well just give whomever a check (thats after meeting the min Spend).

That said the 3 months to meet the min Spend starts on the date you were accepted for the CC, so its < 3 months once the CC is in your hands, and if I recall correctly its a max of $1k per month that you can load to your Serve card. If it was me I wouldnt rely on Serve to met my min Spend and for sure once its met I wouldnt keep loading my Serve with any CC where I wouldnt be earning anything as I said already Id simply give a check its the exact samething

Phantom707 Aug 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 25281126)
!- if you read the Serve Wiki why didnt you post this on that thread where it belongs , rather then start a new thread?

2- if I understand you you dont care about not earning any SPG pts when using the Amex SPG CC to load your Serve. But are only interested in getting the 30k for meeting the min spend on the SPG CC. Then you will continue to load your Serve via the SPG CC in order to pay your rent WHY? you might as well just give whomever a check (thats after meeting the min Spend).

That said the 3 months to meet the min Spend starts on the date you were accepted for the CC, so its < 3 months once the CC is in your hands, and if I recall correctly its a max of $1k per month that you can load to your Serve card. If it was me I wouldnt rely on Serve to met my min Spend and for sure once its met I wouldnt keep loading my Serve with any CC where I wouldnt be earning anything as I said already Id simply give a check its the exact samething

I mean, to be fair, it could be useful to put the rent costs onto the SPG card for the purposes of either organization or giving oneself more time to pay the bill. That's basically what Serve was meant for to begin with, allowing people to organize their funds.

sechs Aug 17, 2015 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25279302)
Once we get some better feedback, the wiki could contain all the updated info to separate old blue, new blue, green, and silver serve accounts.

This is going to get confusing. And fast.

o815 Aug 17, 2015 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25279630)
BTW, anyone look at the ONE VIP version of serve?

https://serve.com/onevip/

Basically, it looks like a card that may be a little more difficult for them to impose higher fees on, but who knows. How many different types of serve cards are there? lol

This version is the closest to Old Blue Serve yet.

jcm55a Aug 17, 2015 9:06 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 25281126)

1. I tried to put it on the Wiki, but it was locked last night for some reason; could not post reply. I guess it must have been some website issue because I see it's open now.

2. I never said I was going to continue to pay rent with it, I'm only using it to get a quick 2k min spend covered so that I don't have to go around trying to spend here and there to meet it. I meant that I don't care about trying to get a few thousand points from the start if it means I can just quickly cover the min-spend. Is that such a problem?

trumpet205 Aug 17, 2015 9:54 am

So what happen to those who have the old Blue serve card (one without reload fee)? Do we get grandfathered as of right now?

canyoncar Aug 17, 2015 10:37 am

Loving the new wiki.

Originally Posted by trumpet205 (Post 25283230)
So what happen to those who have the old Blue serve card (one without reload fee)? Do we get grandfathered as of right now?

Yes

craz Aug 17, 2015 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jcm55a (Post 25283017)
1. I tried to put it on the Wiki, but it was locked last night for some reason; could not post reply. I guess it must have been some website issue because I see it's open now.

2. I never said I was going to continue to pay rent with it, I'm only using it to get a quick 2k min spend covered so that I don't have to go around trying to spend here and there to meet it. I meant that I don't care about trying to get a few thousand points from the start if it means I can just quickly cover the min-spend. Is that such a problem?

I didnt say to put it on the WiKi where it doesnt belong, but the main thread where there happens to be the WiKi that you said you read. The pt is moot since it was moved there by a MOD.

It wont be free but you can always buy some cheap VGCs and then over time little by little use it up as you use those GCs to pay for anything and everything in place of using a CC. So if you have a spare $2k youre set, max it will cost $23.80 or as little as $15.80. Or if you can find certain DCs for $0 fee then $1.40 for 2 MOs and no need to play with Serve or RC or BB. Which I wouldnt do unless I planned on MSing beyond the $2k. But 30k SPG for $24 is a great deal

BrownHP800 Aug 17, 2015 3:03 pm

I stopped at my old reliable FD to unload a Visa Buxx card to my serve. The Visa Buxx card is in my son's name. After I swiped and entered my pin the clerk asked to see my ID and the card I swiped with. I said sure but the card is in my son's name. He didn't seem to have a problem with it and let it go through but this is the first time I have ever been asked to show ID or the card I swiped with.

I wonder if they might be starting to crack down on loading with a VGC with no name on it. I hope not.

I usually go visit KATE but she was sick today.

craz Aug 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by BrownHP800 (Post 25284915)
I stopped at my old reliable FD to unload a Visa Buxx card to my serve. The Visa Buxx card is in my son's name. After I swiped and entered my pin the clerk asked to see my ID and the card I swiped with. I said sure but the card is in my son's name. He didn't seem to have a problem with it and let it go through but this is the first time I have ever been asked to show ID or the card I swiped with.

I wonder if they might be starting to crack down on loading with a VGC with no name on it. I hope not.

I got hit with that several times recently, I have 2 DCs in 2 different names 1 is a friends but its my funds. So usually they ask to see the DC from get go and I show them the one with my name along with my DL. Then I switch and use the one in my friends name, since the only difference is the name on the card when they lok they see Im swiping the card I showed them.

A few months ago they started at times letting me swipe and then before allowing it to go forward on their end ask for the DC and DL too late to switch anything as they are looking at my hands holding the card. Most of those places that did that are closing down now that A&P company is history.

I just hope other chains dont take to doing it that way as well

Newgene Aug 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by BrownHP800 (Post 25284915)

Just curious, have you been able to get visa buxx (I have NW buxx) to work on Kate to load serve?

BrownHP800 Aug 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25285742)
Just curious, have you been able to get visa buxx (I have NW buxx) to work on Kate to load serve?

Yes. I have NW Buxx too. Works fine.

Newgene Aug 18, 2015 4:40 am

Originally Posted by BrownHP800 (Post 25285746)
Yes. I have NW Buxx too. Works fine.

I wonder if I somehow have a cash advance limit in place on all 3 of my NW buxx cards. I simply cannot get them to load with kate. I also can't find an ATM that doesn't prompt me to pay a merchant fee in addition to the bank fee. I may just try it to see, but I'm pretty sure I'll pay a fee. I don't think buxx is in the cards for me.

canyoncar Aug 18, 2015 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25287458)
I wonder if I somehow have a cash advance limit in place on all 3 of my NW buxx cards. I simply cannot get them to load with kate. I also can't find an ATM that doesn't prompt me to pay a merchant fee in addition to the bank fee. I may just try it to see, but I'm pretty sure I'll pay a fee. I don't think buxx is in the cards for me.

The limit is $800/week