FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

dingo Sep 2, 2015 5:38 am

Originally Posted by xiaoming1970 (Post 25364717)
I loaded my Server card at WM Kate today. The first $1,000 got "DEBIT NOT APPROVED HOST TIMEOUT" message on receipt. The second $999 transaction was fine without problem. I checked the debit card I used to load, both $1,000 and $999 were charged. Is my $1,000 in the account of ATM owner now? Should I visit WM money center, call the owner of ATM, or Serve for help?
Thanks.

reading back a bit, others have encountered this and report that the transaction reverses itself back out, usually within a short period of time (minutes). Please report back to us.

HGHUA Sep 2, 2015 5:48 am

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 25365664)
Seems alarmist, but I admit I haven't been following all of the postings.

Are all Serve cards being replaced? Are all Serve Softcards being replaced? Mine have expiry dates out to 2021.

I don't think so... i just pray for the heck of it. Can't hurt.

MisterEdF Sep 2, 2015 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25363904)
I don't know if there can be legal/criminal troubles for this as this is purely impersonating. They record all this information and you are falsifying when they ask you for your personal information. Granted in this case the family member is not complaining, otherwise it will clearly be a violation.

You are not "falsifying" anything. All the information is factual. If you aren't committing a crime you wouldn't be doing anything illegal. No one is being stolen from (assuming you have permission). I wouldn't think there is any law being broken if the "other person" (my wife) doesn't file a complaint for theft, forgery or whatever. You are not providing any forged physical ID's you are just giving correct and truthful verification information. They never ask if you are the person they only ask you to confirm and verify information. I'm not a cop (but I have a friend that is a detective) and he sees nothing "illegal". You MAY be violating the TOS of the card and MAYBE they could cancel it but you are only giving them what they ask for. WORSE case you put the "real" person on the line to OK the conversation which I have been doing with other things for 40+ years.

One time I did this (another bank's card) and I told them it was my wife's card and they had no problem with it. All they did was ask her to say "OK" on the phone that I have permission then we continued on.

Same thing with medical insurance. They are even worse than credit card companies. I said I was her and we had no problem.

I seriously don't believe anything ILLEGAL (as in breaking the law) is happening unless you do it to steal money or do something the other person doesn't want to happen.

Teddy Ruxpin Sep 2, 2015 3:58 pm

Just in case any one is wondering about Soft Serve. Barclay's Arrival+ sent me a new card # as they identified mine as susceptible to fraud though I've never had a fraudulent charge on it. I put off activating it so I could keep Serve loading, however was forced to make the switch this month. Was able to pull off the switch no problem and have done two loads so far. If they ask for me to verify the card I will update how that goes with the CSRs.

dingo Sep 2, 2015 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin (Post 25368602)
Just in case any one is wondering about Soft Serve. Barclay's Arrival+ sent me a new card # as they identified mine as susceptible to fraud though I've never had a fraudulent charge on it. I put off activating it so I could keep Serve loading, however was forced to make the switch this month. Was able to pull off the switch no problem and have done two loads so far. If they ask for me to verify the card I will update how that goes with the CSRs.

Thank you for this; please do keep us updated even if you do not encounter problems.

nfpa70e Sep 3, 2015 6:01 am

Originally Posted by MisterEdF (Post 25368485)
I seriously don't believe anything ILLEGAL (as in breaking the law) is happening unless you do it to steal money or do something the other person doesn't want to happen.

It's good to know it's not a fraud. Worst case, if they shut down any account, I don't care. The family accounts that you deal with, they are not going to complain and when asked they will always say, I'm fully authorized to operate on their behalf.

Anthony7929 Sep 3, 2015 8:58 am

I tried to buy a MO with my serve card yesterday at my local Walmart and Dierbergs. Both attempts were unsuccessful and here's what the system spit out:

Walmart - Debit not available appr code
Dierbergs - invalid share group code

Am I doing it wrong or is anyone else having a problem?

Carl Sep 3, 2015 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Anthony7929 (Post 25371647)
I tried to buy a MO with my serve card yesterday at my local Walmart and Dierbergs. Both attempts were unsuccessful and here's what the system spit out:

Serve is not a debit card. WMT doesn't accept credit cards for MOs.

craz Sep 3, 2015 9:15 am

I'll never understand why some folks refuse to read a WiKi and then put their $$ into something they know nothing about working

In the past I read everything then sent a PM to whomever asking them if they would be so kind as to let me know if I got it correct. Then when told Yes Id go out and purchase whatever. By PMing all the steps and info it shows I did my homework and most people would answer you, PMing asking how to do something w/o listing everything you learnt , is saying IM a lazy person spoon feed me and will probably result in no reply at all

cdancer20 Sep 3, 2015 10:03 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 25371723)
I'll never understand why some folks refuse to read a WiKi and then put their $$ into something they know nothing about working

In the past I read everything then sent a PM to whomever asking them if they would be so kind as to let me know if I got it correct. Then when told Yes Id go out and purchase whatever. By PMing all the steps and info it shows I did my homework and most people would answer you, PMing asking how to do something w/o listing everything you learnt , is saying IM a lazy person spoon feed me and will probably result in no reply at all

This! Plus read the thread. I know there's a lot to read, but at a MINIMUM the last 5-10 pages. People come here and ask the same question that was LITERALLY just asked 3-4 posts above.

Anthony7929 Sep 3, 2015 11:28 am

I do apologize for missing the debt card remark in the wiki. However, I did look at the previous pages to see if anyone asked this same question.

It's interesting to note that last week, I was able to buy a MO at Dierbergs (supermarket chain in STL).

kenme1 Sep 3, 2015 11:39 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...-face-palm.jpg

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...350-really.png

Mamibear Sep 3, 2015 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Anthony7929 (Post 25372436)
It's interesting to note that last week, I was able to buy a MO at Dierbergs (supermarket chain in STL).

are you saying your Serve card run as credit went through as payment for MO? I know it's possible, I've been to stores that accepted CC for buying MO, but if that's the case for you, you'd be better off using other CCs with greater rewards in miles/points/CB since you don't earn anything from using Serve unless there's a specific am3x sync offer on that particular Serve card.

Otherwise, IME buying MOs when registers are hardcoded to accept cash and/or debit cards only, CCs are rejected once swiped.

craz Sep 3, 2015 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Anthony7929 (Post 25372436)
I do apologize for missing the debt card remark in the wiki. However, I did look at the previous pages to see if anyone asked this same question.

I never tried using my BBs or Serve to buy a MO, why would I it costs money, while there are options that doesnt cost anything that unloads the funds from the cards. Its sort of like you used a CC to buy a Vanilla GC and then used that Vanilla GC to buy a Meta GC and then loaded that, when you could have skipped the 1st step.

Im still trying to figure out why the heck youd want to use your Serve to get MOs

1 word of advice, STOP everything take a deep breath and start reading the Wikis and threads from get-go. Hopefully you didnt load your Serve using ca$h. You dont understand how MS works and you stand to be some wolfs lunch at the rate you are going

That said Ive gone into a supermkt 1 morn got a MO with my 3rd party DC and when I went back in the next day different shift, there were signs up all over Ca$h Only, so just keep in mind what works today may not tomorrow . And before proceeding any further STOP and fully understand everything since you got it all wrong thus far

Gimpyknee Sep 3, 2015 12:39 pm

I'll take a tip from craz and use this post to try to test my comprehension of my reading, and perhaps help Anthony7929 down the path to righteousness.

I am NEW at this.
I believe I understand the process to be...

Possess or apply for a rewards-related CC that is important to you (miles or nights or Starbucks, for all I care...)
Open a RB/BB/Serve account (if new Serve, better get the green one)
Use the rewards card for some regular spend, AND buy VGC (generally not vanilla).
Take the VGC to WM or FD, and use Kate or CSR or cashier to load the serve/RB/BB. If the cashier is stuck, suggest 70+action code (at WM)
Thank the cashier, and fade away.
Use a bill pay mechanism to pay from RB/BB/Serve to the reward card.
Rinse, repeat.

I've been reading for two+ weeks, and I think that's the system.

Advanced users may manage more than one RB/BB/Serve for consenting family members.
Advanced users may choose to purchase AMEX GCs through a cashback portal for more rewards, then proceed with using the AMEX GCs to purchase VGCs.

And don't buy the VGC in the same store/same visit/same cashier line as you're trying to load!!!

Hope I'm on the right track.