FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

NoonRadar Aug 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25267366)
Thanks. For some reason I was thinking that could get your cc accounts shutdown faster. I'd be curious to know what others use as their primary method to liquidate from serve.

I don't use Serve, use Redbird instead (3 of them) but being they're both prepaid Amex products and on the same platform, I'd assume for the purpose of your question its the same.

I almost exclusively unload via billpay, without regard of whether I'm paying the same cc from the same Redbird I loaded with that cc. I did follow the "do not do closed loop" advised for a bit then saw no data points of anyone getting in trouble so stopped caring, makes MS-ing much more convenient.

chaser123 Aug 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Newgene (Post 25268333)
I'm assuming that is always done over the phone, but I did find the ability to bill pay a few listed cc options as most common in my area. They include Citi Cards, American Express, Bank of America Credit Card, and Chase Credit Cards. I'm assuming you can bill pay and pay over the phone at Citi and maybe some of the others to spread the pay.

If Citi via phone is the only option for this, that's cool. I can divert some spend that way.

I don't know if Citi takes serve as its not a real debit card. But no issues bill paying them, even if you use it to fund the card online.

LoveTravellingFree Aug 14, 2015 2:48 pm

Serve customer service does not seem to know the difference in the new blue version and the green version. Finally, the 4th person was able to describe the difference.

They are referring to the new Blue card as the "free direct deposit version" as it has expedited direct deposit availability and is free with a 500+ monthly direct deposit. While the terms say "up to 3.95" and "fees vary by retailer," I was informed that all locations will charge 3.95 for a cash reload.

I promptly cancelled my wife's new blue card and going in search of a temporary card that is old enough to be under the old terms and conditions. New Blue cards start with 3727 42... old blue cards will start with 3727 41 per Steve's comment here: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...eloping-story/

compddd Aug 15, 2015 11:40 am

I have SoftServe. Is there any reason to switch to Green or Silver Serve for me?

canyoncar Aug 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 25275469)
I have SoftServe. Is there any reason to switch to Green or Silver Serve for me?

Not unless you like giving up something awesome :D

DaveInLA Aug 16, 2015 10:15 am

With the new Silver Serve giving 1% cash back, I wonder how we can leverage the "backup funding" to maximize this. I don't live in one of the states that waives the $5.95 monthly fee, but maybe the 1% cash back can make up for it, especially if linked to PPBDMC, which has PP credit card as backup funding. At the very minimum, wouldn't this be a 3-4% cash back card on all purchases?

Mamibear Aug 16, 2015 10:20 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25278994)
With the new Silver Serve giving 1% cash back, I wonder how we can leverage the "backup funding" to maximize this. I don't live in one of the states that waives the $5.95 monthly fee, but maybe the 1% cash back can make up for it, especially if linked to PPBDMC, which has PP credit card as backup funding. At the very minimum, wouldn't this be a 3-4% cash back card on all purchases?

afaik, the only CC allowed as back up for PPBDC is PayPal extras MC. And rewards of PPEMC are capped at 50K points roughly equivalent to $400/year with 2000 pts left since 6000 pts =$50

Newgene Aug 16, 2015 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25279007)
afaik, the only CC allowed as back up for PPBDC is PayPal extras MC. And rewards of PPEMC are capped at 50K points roughly equivalent to $400/year with 2000 pts left since 6000 pts =$50

That sucks. Silver Serve could have had some real potential. Could have basically been an extra 1% back on the all the daily stuff for a measly $6/month.

Still wouldn't want to give up my blue serve for something that now charges a fee to add a VGC. Would be nice to have both, though.

Red259 Aug 16, 2015 11:45 am

Since they have made changes to serve and my soft serve card got grandfathered in am I still able to change out the credit cards linked with it? I want to make sure I do not do anything that would cause my account to be converted to the new version.

Newgene Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am

Once we get some better feedback, the wiki could contain all the updated info to separate old blue, new blue, green, and silver serve accounts.

I like my "old blue serve" a lot.

Newgene Aug 16, 2015 11:59 am

Originally Posted by LoveTravellingFree (Post 25272158)
While the terms say "up to 3.95" and "fees vary by retailer," I was informed that all locations will charge 3.95 for a cash reload.

I assume "cash reload" fees will be the same as debit (VGC) reload fees. A $3.95 per load fee is deal-breaker for most.

Per Amex's site, "Cash Reloads Up to $3.95 (fee)."

So, I'll use my old blue serve for as long as they let me stay grandfathered with it. After that, I'll have to pony up the $5/month for the green serve to keep the VGC option open. Adding another redbird is not really a good option for me.

Newgene Aug 16, 2015 1:17 pm

BTW, anyone look at the ONE VIP version of serve?

https://serve.com/onevip/

Basically, it looks like a card that may be a little more difficult for them to impose higher fees on, but who knows. How many different types of serve cards are there? lol

DaveInLA Aug 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25279007)

I think you're either regarding PPEMC being the only way to backup PPBDMC, but I didn't know about the cap. If I don't go this direction, it might be a simple way to liquidate PP MC since they're cheaper than OV at drug stores.

Mamibear Aug 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25279685)
I think you're either regarding PPEMC being the only way to backup PPBDMC, but I didn't know about the cap. If I don't go this direction, it might be a simple way to liquidate PP MC since they're cheaper than OV at drug stores.

you must remember how sensitive PP is to MC funded PPDC spent on anything other than online purchases excluding Serve/BB since many have reported being warned doing those alone with funds coming from PPDC funded solely by MCs.

Newgene Aug 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Is there any disadvantage to sending a check to your spouse at your home address versus bill paying with a check to a different bill? I can drain to the limit easily that way, but I didn't know if that threw up more of a flag.