Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Anyone can find VR at IAD area?

I have been to many stores in IAD area and its been running dry for the last 3 weeks now.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: A few
Still going nicely here in NC. The $5k limit is the official line regardless of what individual stores may say, and it works just fine here. I don't care about scanning DL. The thread title should be updated to reflect the correct load amount
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Still going nicely here in NC. The $5k limit is the official line regardless of what individual stores may say, and it works just fine here. I don't care about scanning DL. The thread title should be updated to reflect the correct load amount
I just bought 14K in two days, each at $500 transactions, so the 1K and 5K limits seem to a store to store thing...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I just bought 14K in two days, each at $500 transactions, .....
From how many stores? 500 at one store then 500 at another, or just each bean in separate transaction at the same store?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:56 pm

I just bought 14K in two days, each at $500 transactions, so the 1K and 5K limits seem to a store to store thing...
no the official cvs policy is clearly 5k per day... just because individual stores implement it incorrectly doesn't make it any less correct. if you are running around store 28 times the way you describer that is your choice but official policy is you can buy $5k per day with dl scan
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by silverfalls
I have been to many stores in IAD area and its been running dry for the last 3 weeks now.
Give it time. We went dry in closer-in parts of NoVA about 4-6 weeks ago. During that time, nothing. Found some old style VR way out in VA, in the mountains. However in the last week we've repopulated with new style VR. Seen them in Frederick, MD area too. So they're coming. You might just be further down the schedule of delivery. There was a definite dry gap after they exhausted all the old style cards and before they took shipment of the new ones.

One thing also of note is that it seems the new VR are selling out quicker than ever. I think people are gun-shy after that long dry spell, thinking either that there's going to be another supply interruption or the gravy train will run out for good. So they buy like mad. Most places near me run dry in a business day.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
Originally Posted by silverfalls
No. I do see a lot of Serve cards though.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pier11
From how many stores? 500 at one store then 500 at another, or just each bean in separate transaction at the same store?
I did $500 on each transactions I refuse to do the $1K to have my DL scanned. I'm back in PHX tomorrow and will hit my fave CVS for more beans. I'll report if I can buy more then 5K.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
no the official cvs policy is clearly 5k per day... just because individual stores implement it incorrectly doesn't make it any less correct. if you are running around store 28 times the way you describer that is your choice but official policy is you can buy $5k per day with dl scan
Not too sure were I describe I was running around 28 times, but I went to ONE CVS and walked up to counter with 8 beans, came back about an hour later (I brought other FTers) and bought 8 more (same day) then the following day the same FTers and I went back and then I bought the rest of my load as well as the other FTers.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:36 pm

Not too sure were I describe I was running around 28 times, but I went to ONE CVS and walked up to counter with 8 beans, came back about an hour later (I brought other FTers) and bought 8 more (same day) then the following day the same FTers and I went back and then I bought the rest of my load as well as the other FTers.
You said you bought them $500 at a time. The 5K limit is enforced via the DL scan. No DL scan, no limit, unless a cashier wants to stop you.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by cashback
You said you bought them $500 at a time. The 5K limit is enforced via the DL scan. No DL scan, no limit, unless a cashier wants to stop you.
Exactly. $14k by $500 means 28 transactions. If you have a cashier willing to let you ring up 8 individual cards to avoid the DL scan more power to you though at some point that cashier will get fired and you will need to find another sucker.

Doesn't change the fact the thread title is wrong. Should read something like CVS now up to $999 per transaction without DL scan, up to $5k per day with scan. $1k/day is just no longer relevant
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Is the $5k limit inclusive of the $3.95 purchase fee per card, or is it just the total load amount that is capped at $5k?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Albany, NY

I am heading to Albany for business. Will report back the bean situation over there. Of course if someone could share info, that is more than welcome!

Cheers
@ORD
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cashback
Agreed. Also, if we can buy the 5k we need per bird, why go through the extra steps that cause additional scrutiny. We have a unique situation here since the gravy train took a turn for our favor. I'm not sure why we would ask cashiers to do things contrary to the policy. If the policy doesn't work the way CVS wants it to, they are likely to change it again and make it more strict.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by rjs11
anyone have luck buying the beans in the yonkers/bronx area? 0 for 6 so far, and only one had them in stock (but didn't allow credit cards to be used)
I've had a lot of luck. I think the time of the month has an effect. I've been dry for a week then find a ton of them available. The only one that gives me trouble about Purchasing with CC is on Tremont Ave in Throggs Neck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.