Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Is £250,000 your income from MS Steve Oh ?
Not quite - hers is probably only half of that
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I took out a new mortgage at the end if last year, and I was generating 5 figure bills across multiple cards each month. The mortgage company wrote it into my mortgage offer that I had to provide copies of zeroed CC statements before they'd release the funds.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:48 am

At the time we got our mortgage, and at the risk of getting a slating by you lot, we didn't have a credit card between us.

We were both young and naive, quite happy using a debit card for everything
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I took out a new mortgage at the end if last year, and I was generating 5 figure bills across multiple cards each month. The mortgage company wrote it into my mortgage offer that I had to provide copies of zeroed CC statements before they'd release the funds.
If those credit card statements were from MS rather than extravagance then, as a fellow midlander, maybe we need an FT MS "do" where I can try to get you drunk to tell me your methods.

Maybe Tesco is a good venue for an MS "do"...???
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:34 am

You'll need a lot of alcohol to get ALL the MS methods :P
Then again, with a few HH coupons, Tesco could well be the place to do it.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
You'll need a lot of alcohol to get ALL the MS methods :P
Sounds like a challenge!

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Then again, with a few HH coupons, Tesco could well be the place to do it.
Exactly! Sit in the Tesco cafe, getting rinsed on booze bought in Tesco that also earned some Clubcard points. Very much in the spirit of what most of us are on FT for.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a challenge!

Exactly! Sit in the Tesco cafe, getting rinsed on booze bought in Tesco that also earned some Clubcard points. Very much in the spirit of what most of us are on FT for.
Only if that café is in some airport in the middle of Asia reached by a deeply discounted First fare!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Only if that café is in some airport in the middle of Asia reached by a deeply discounted First fare!
...on a TP run...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by ThePlumber
I have always found Barclays to be the most accommodating with regard to £20 and £5 coins.
Tried my local Barclays and they were happy to take the £5 but refused to take the £20, said they'd never seen it before.

Is there some sort of master list of coinage Barclays are meant to refer to?

Are some branches better than others, say central London rather than provincial cities?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:23 am

The Royal Mint is down to the last 1% of £20 coins. See http://www.royalmint.com/shop/UK_201...and_the_Dragon. They're offering free UK delivery for 48 hours only.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
If those credit card statements were from MS rather than extravagance then, as a fellow midlander, maybe we need an FT MS "do" where I can try to get you drunk to tell me your methods.

Maybe Tesco is a good venue for an MS "do"...???
Sorry for the tardy response; I've been too busy ploughing £15k through MS and making sure it all comes back before my bill is generated

Actually being in the Midlands unfortunately makes me even less likely to share any current schemes, as the last thing I need is competition!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 am

Has anyone investigated the 'talk-home' prepaid card?

https://catcard.talk-home.co.uk

£5 set up fee, but £5 quidco for signing up to cancel that out.

As per the fee's section in the T&C's, you can:
- Top up using PayPoint for free (max load £249 per top up)
- Have a max balance of £5,000 on the card
- Redeem funds for £2.

i.e. £2 cost for every £5,000 spend

However, I'm not too familiar with PayPoint, can this be paid by Amex? or any Credit card for that matter?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club (Gold); BAEC (Blue)
Originally Posted by Richyo
Has anyone investigated the 'talk-home' prepaid card?
i.e. £2 cost for every £5,000 spend
My concern is that this is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Customer funds are held in a segregated account and I am not suggesting that they will bust in the near future, but I personally am not sure that I would want to risk £5k of my hard earned cash.

I suggest looking at their profile on Duedil or similar sites, before risking any cash.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, I'm not too familiar with PayPoint, can this be paid by Amex? or any Credit card for that matter?
Not officially. If you get a shop assistant who is not really bothered she/he might allow the transaction, but it is not going to be easy. Also the kind of places that have a PayPoint are also the kind of places that do not accept AmEx.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:26 am

I think it is cash or debit card only .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.