Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
It's clear that compared to the US, the UK is pretty barren when it comes to outstanding MS opportunities. The fact that this thread doesn't appear to have any recognised, repeatable methods, is testimony to that.
Obviously there are more options in the states but really you only need one or two workable schemes.

There are two big differences. Firstly,over there, it is still possible to use air miles for genuinely 'free' flights ie negligible taxes and fuel surcharges. Secondly credit card bonuses tend to be bigger - so the reward for any given level of ms is greater.

So in the US manufactured spend schemes are still viable even if they incur some costs - and most of the schemes DO incur costs.

In the UK a scheme need to be free, or nearly free, to be worthwhile.For people who can 'do the math' anything more than 0.5p per mile is a definate no.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by luckyjim

In the UK a scheme need to be free, or nearly free, to be worthwhile.For people who can 'do the math' anything more than 0.5p per mile is a definate no.
I'll agree with that, although 0.5p would be a terrible day - you should be getting at least at least 10 miles for that. 0.001p (100 miles per penny) is what you should be aiming for.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club (Gold); BAEC (Blue)
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
I'll agree with that, although 0.5p would be a terrible day - you should be getting at least at least 10 miles for that. 0.001p (100 miles per penny) is what you should be aiming for.
You're being had mate! On a bad day, I wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than 0.0001p (1,000 miles per new pence).
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:23 am

Who said anything about getting out of bed?

Last edited by Steve Oh; Apr 10, 2014 at 1:25 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Some of the earnings expectations mentioned are probably beyond me right now, but I wondered if anyone had experience of this product:

https://skypark.gcencurrencycards.com/terms.html

I've used them for airport parking a couple of times now and got an e-mail today offering the above card. The sterling one can be loaded by debit or credit card and the ** only suggests a charge for forex (but I guess you need to be careful of cash advance fees from your credit card provider). Can load upto £5000, can redeem for £5.

Anyone tried this or similar cards? I'd take 5000+ Avios/FC miles (depending on card loaded with) for £5 outlay. Thoughts?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:54 am

Looks interesting, although the conditions under Sec.4 would be of concern to me. Not even RPPMC has that clause.

Last edited by Steve Oh; Apr 10, 2014 at 3:41 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:02 am

oops.
Here, let me fix that for you.

---Quote (Originally by ankomonkey)---
Some of the earnings expectations mentioned are probably beyond me right now, but I wondered if anyone had experience of this product:
---End Quote---
Looks interesting, although the conditions under Sec.4 would be of concern to me. Not even RPPMC has that clause.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Here, let me fix that for you.

---Quote (Originally by ankomonkey)---
---End Quote---
Lovely, thanks
I was unable to put link in where I wanted - done now

FYI, this is the same info as per the Sticky up the top, which I wrote more than a year ago, and last edited in Jan.

Last edited by Steve Oh; Apr 10, 2014 at 3:49 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
How about castor beans...
Grandmother was rather fond of a teaspoon of that daily.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
Grandmother was rather fond of a teaspoon of that daily.
Not my cup of tea to be honest.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Not my cup of tea to be honest.
Before any pedant picks up on it, I obviously meant the oil, rather than a teaspoon of beans
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
Before any pedant picks up on it, I obviously meant the oil, rather than a teaspoon of beans
and Lord knows this place is full of them
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Obviously there are more options in the states but really you only need one or two workable schemes.

There are two big differences. Firstly,over there, it is still possible to use air miles for genuinely 'free' flights ie negligible taxes and fuel surcharges. Secondly credit card bonuses tend to be bigger - so the reward for any given level of ms is greater.

So in the US manufactured spend schemes are still viable even if they incur some costs - and most of the schemes DO incur costs.

Agree regarding the sign-up bonuses. However, there are plenty of outlets for award miles that offer flights that have reduced taxes. Just not BA into/out of UK.

A search a few days ago confirmed that BA wasn't charging any fuel surcharge on USairway award flights out of the UK.

You can book return flights within US on AA using Avios for £3 of taxes.

Similarly, AA flights out of Dublin can be had for almost no taxes. i.e. as per the following link, 20K of AA miles plus £27.40 gets you 1-way DUB-LAS via JFK. And those 20K of AA miles can be achieved for a £36 outlay.

http://www.goingonrewards.com/2014/0...-american.html
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
Agree regarding the sign-up bonuses. However, there are plenty of outlets for award miles that offer flights that have reduced taxes. Just not BA into/out of UK.

A search a few days ago confirmed that BA wasn't charging any fuel surcharge on USairway award flights out of the UK.

You can book return flights within US on AA using Avios for £3 of taxes.

Similarly, AA flights out of Dublin can be had for almost no taxes. i.e. as per the following link, 20K of AA miles plus £27.40 gets you 1-way DUB-LAS via JFK. And those 20K of AA miles can be achieved for a £36 outlay.

http://www.goingonrewards.com/2014/0...-american.html
Yes, there are workarounds, but that does not change the fact that air miles in the UK are less valuable than they were a few years ago and that the pence per mile breakeven point for MS is much lower as a result.

The whole point of collecting air miles is to be able to travel the world more often and in greater comfort than you could otherwise afford.

LHR-DUB-JFK-LAS? What's that? 20 hours? Half of it spent queuing or sitting around lounges? Not exactly traveling the world in comfort.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:35 pm

LHR-DUB-JFK-LAS? What's that? 20 hours? Half of it spent queuing or sitting around lounges? Not exactly traveling the world in comfort.
True, but when you're traveling in First/Upper you should be intoxicated enough not to care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.