Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by luckyjim
Yes, there are workarounds, but that does not change the fact that air miles in the UK are less valuable than they were a few years ago and that the pence per mile breakeven point for MS is much lower as a result.

The whole point of collecting air miles is to be able to travel the world more often and in greater comfort than you could otherwise afford.

LHR-DUB-JFK-LAS? What's that? 20 hours? Half of it spent queuing or sitting around lounges? Not exactly traveling the world in comfort.
I appreciate that BA is increasingly more accurately being described as London airways, but you comment is a very London centric viewpoint. And the routing was just as an example.

For those outside of London, they'll need a connection into LHR anyhow, or a possibly long /expensive train journey. Dial in the fact that that you land in the US without having to go thru immigration, and that mitigates things somewhat.

And for anyone in Northern Ireland, its the quickest way to Vegas.

But the above is off topic for this forum, suffice to say that for many, miles still have a significant pence value. It's "best use" scenarios that have changed.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by tangey
you comment is a very London centric viewpoint.

True. Shameful from a Fintona boy

Back on topic though, the worth of air miles varies from person to person. The cost of MS also varies from person to person. I think people are being over pessimistic about the options in the UK. I know people are dissapointed that the 3V to NSAI route has been blocked but I think I'm actually better off now. I was never able to find any 3V cards before.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I was never able to find any 3V cards before.
This raises an interesting point. It's nice to be able to get hold of 3V cards these days. Last year I was fortunate to find £1k a month of 3V, but now I can get hold of £1k a week easily and I'm leaving cards on the peg.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:24 am

isn't living i UK already free MS. lol..
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
I have to admit I'm glad that the 3V NSI route was shut down too - my monthly 3V spend is now easily doable in a week, still visiting the same stores.

I'm currently considering using my Amex MRs for a new iPad, which I would not have even considered before!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
I have to admit I'm glad that the 3V NSI route was shut down too - my monthly 3V spend is now easily doable in a week, still visiting the same stores.

I'm currently considering using my Amex MRs for a new iPad, which I would not have even considered before!
I need to put much more thought into my MS it seems
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG
Manufactured Spend UK

Are high credit card bills from manufactured spend, even if the balance is paid off in full, likely to have any negative affects on your credit rating?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by moonman85
Are high credit card bills from manufactured spend, even if the balance is paid off in full, likely to have any negative affects on your credit rating?
You'll only get negative markers if you do not pay your bill on time, either in part or full.

The fact that you spend £10k per month on your card and pay it off in full on time, every time, will only be positive.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:13 am

Not when they are paid off. The outstanding balance, the total amount of credit available and the number of applications for credit all have an impact.

The best thing to do is sign up with one of the agencies to check your score. I found I had an old virgin MBNA account which had not been closed down properly. I also found that switching broadband provider had a big negative effect. It took them four attempts to get my package correct and each time they corrected it it triggered another credit check.

TopCashBack has various free trials for Eqifax, Experian etc.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:16 am

Not when they are paid off. The outstanding balance, the total amount of credit available and the number of applications for credit all have an impact.

TopCashBack has various free trials for Eqifax, Experian etc.
https://www.noddle.co.uk is also free, and usually gives instant access.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG
Manufactured Spend UK

Interesting, I've got the data from experian before and seem to remember that it did have how much you were spending per month on your card as well as any outstanding balances etc. Didn't know quite how companies would then interpret this.

Presumably if you are doing manufactured spend to a high level you must have a high credit limit which is frowned upon?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:48 am

Interesting, I've got the data from experian before and seem to remember that it did have how much you were spending per month on your card as well as any outstanding balances etc. Didn't know quite how companies would then interpret this.

Presumably if you are doing manufactured spend to a high level you must have a high credit limit which is frowned upon?
Yes, so the thing to do is close down any credit lines you don't need and REDUCE your credit limits where they are too high. Credit card companies have a habit of increasing limits without asking. Your credit file gets updated at the start of the calendar month.

If you get refused credit once it can have a knock on effect for months. It is worth cleaning things up before applying for a new card.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:01 am

No, why should it?

If I had a an Amex card with a limit of £10,000 but my income was £250,000 a year, is it really going to be a concern to MBNA to give me another card with a £10,000 limit, bearing in mind that the most I can spend is £20,000, which isn't even a tenth of my income?

It states on your credit file how much of your available credit you are using.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:02 am

If you get refused credit once it can have a knock on effect for months. It is worth cleaning things up before applying for a new card.
I agree with this. If you apply for a card and get refused, you're pretty screwed for the following 6 months.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
If I had a an Amex card with a limit of £10,000 but my income was £250,000 a year,
Is £250,000 your income from MS Steve Oh ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.