Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Chase Gift Cards:
GAME OVER

We’re sorry, but we no longer offer Chase Gift Cards.

We will continue to honor current Chase Gift Cards. If you have a Chase Gift Card, you may continue to use it until the funds are depleted or upon card expiration.
If your existing Chase Gift Card has been damaged, lost or stolen, you can redeem the balance or get a replacement Card by calling us at
1-866-466-0079, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Use that number if you have questions about your existing Chase Gift Card.

www.chasewebgiftpurchase.com/index.cfm - [No longer working]

https://www.chase.com/online/Checking/gift-card.htm/ [No longer working as of 9/20/13]

$500 max value per card

Can be used as debit
Call # on card to set pin

There are some limitations to using gift cards as opposed to debit cards, but these are functioning very well as debit cards. So please follow the number one rule of manufactured spend: DON"T CALL THE BANKS.
Print Wikipost

Chase Gift Cards [Ending: 9.22.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
That would mean he's leaving a balance in his credit cards...
I don't get why people do that. If you had the money to pay the student loan off in the first place, why go the extra step and use the money from the gift card to pay off the loan? Why not just use it to pay back the credit card you used to buy the gift card?
Just to clarify, what I'm doing is $xx available > Chase CC > Chase GC > MO > Loan Provider. I think I understand your question. Suppose I have $1,000 in my bank account, why don't I send the loan provider a check in that amount and then just use the GC funds to pay off my CC? It's mostly just a precautionary measure. I would rather not make a circle with the GC's/MO's and return the funds where they originated.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Either way there are two bills to pay (CC and student loan). Either way you need to extract the cash value from the GCs (via BB or MO) to pay one of those bills. There is absolutely no difference which bill gets paid with which funds.
That's true. What I meant by "extra step" was having to wait for the gift card ordered in order to pay the loan off.

Originally Posted by tnm5041
Well, I would most certainly be shaming my college's business school if I was leaving a CC balance so no worries there. In fact, I'm living very frugally right now (not as crazy as some of those stories you hear http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1522534.html but you get the picture) in an effort to minimize that 6.8% Federal interest loan rate . Unfortunately, I'm often leaving "free" miles on the table, as I don't have BB or someone trustworthy to deposit the MO's and return the $ to me, so I only purchase what I can afford that particular month.
That's good to hear ^

Just to clarify, what I'm doing is $xx available > Chase CC > Chase GC > MO > Loan Provider. I think I understand your question. Suppose I have $1,000 in my bank account, why don't I send the loan provider a check in that amount and then just use the GC funds to pay off my CC? It's mostly just a precautionary measure. I would rather not make a circle with the GC's/MO's and return the funds where they originated.
I just assumed you were indirectly paying your loans off with a credit card and leaving the balance on your credit card. That's good to hear. As many here say as you are doing, do with what you're comfortable with.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Does anyone put more than 2.6K/month on one of their ink ACCOUNTS? I have the ability for 7.8K, that makes me nervous
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Does anyone put more than 2.6K/month on one of their ink ACCOUNTS? I have the ability for 7.8K, that makes me nervous
How? I've used up $2.5k and was shot down for another $500 gift card on my Ink card. Do you have more than one Ink card or authorized user?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:07 am

Few posts ago, someone mentioned putting more as an AU to their spouses Ink.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:53 am

That's true. What I meant by "extra step" was having to wait for the gift card ordered in order to pay the loan off.

Gammachu, you make a solid point here. From the time the gift card purchase is made to the moment it is processed by the loan providers, about $15 - $20 of interest has accrued (11-15 days), thus negating the benefits of obtaining the miles.

Most recently, I received my bill on August 18th with a due date of September 7th. To minimize interest, I start the GC process on the 10th of every month so they have the MO's by the 21st - 25th, 3-7 days after the bill was released. Because I'm well ahead on my payments, no money is technically due so I pay what I can afford.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Few posts ago, someone mentioned putting more as an AU to their spouses Ink.
Yes it appears each AU user can get the $2600 GC's per month too. @:-)
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Yes it appears each AU user can get the $2600 GC's per month too. @:-)
I'm fully aware of this, but I was inquiring whether anyone has experimented with this
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:45 am

Gammachu, you make a solid point here. From the time the gift card purchase is made to the moment it is processed by the loan providers, about $15 - $20 of interest has accrued (11-15 days), thus negating the benefits of obtaining the miles.

Most recently, I received my bill on August 18th with a due date of September 7th. To minimize interest, I start the GC process on the 10th of every month so they have the MO's by the 21st - 25th, 3-7 days after the bill was released. Because I'm well ahead on my payments, no money is technically due so I pay what I can afford.
What kind of crazy loans do you have that charge 96%-480% interest (depending on whether you're buying $500-$2500 in gift cards)? I suspect you've made a mistake here.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:18 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I'm fully aware of this, but I was inquiring whether anyone has experimented with this
I have done 2K on my card and both of my AU cards for a total of 6K. Not on a regular basis but 2 or 3 times now and have not had any problems.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by beltim
What kind of crazy loans do you have that charge 96%-480% interest (depending on whether you're buying $500-$2500 in gift cards)? I suspect you've made a mistake here.
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to my student debt. The interest rates vary for those but its roughly $20K of student debt currently @ 5%. It comes out to about $2.74 in interest/day.

The point I tried to make is the timing of my loan payment, but I realized I'm wrong. If I paid $1K immediately and was charged 5% for 15 days on $19K of debt rather than $20K, I'd pay approx. $39.04 in interest during that time, rather than $41.09 + MO and stamp costs, a savings of about $3.00. Obviously the value of the miles > $3.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:39 pm

Yes, I have done this. I have 2 AU's on one account(one of which is DH). I am an AU on DH's account. But I only started last month - late to the game. And I have a very high credit limit. If your CL is $7800..I wouldn't chance it. This is based on content from the Perk Abuse thread.

This month I am being much more cautious.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:50 pm

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to my student debt. The interest rates vary for those but its roughly $20K of student debt currently @ 5%. It comes out to about $2.74 in interest/day.

The point I tried to make is the timing of my loan payment, but I realized I'm wrong. If I paid $1K immediately and was charged 5% for 15 days on $19K of debt rather than $20K, I'd pay approx. $39.04 in interest during that time, rather than $41.09 + MO and stamp costs, a savings of about $3.00. Obviously the value of the miles > $3.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.
No problem! Also worth considering is that you may be able to reduce that cost by ordering the gift cards sufficiently ahead of when you get paid (and are able to pay the credit card bell) so that you cut down on that 15 days.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA silver
Has anyone accidentally bill payed a credit card that has a zero balance?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by wmonty67
Has anyone accidentally bill payed a credit card that has a zero balance?
I've done that many times. You'll get a check in the mail for the amount which you overpay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.