Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Loading BB at WM

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but pardon me, since the thread is over 500 pages now.

Can I load a BB card at WM fee-free from a debit card?

If I understand correctly, I could get a card each for my wife and I, then load up to $1000/day and $5000/month on each card, and if done at the Walmart register with a debit card, there is no fee?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:52 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by redtop43
I'm sure this has been covered in this thread, but pardon me, since the thread is over 500 pages now.

Can I load a BB card at WM fee-free from a debit card?

If I understand correctly, I could get a card each for my wife and I, then load up to $1000/day and $5000/month on each card, and if done at the Walmart register with a debit card, there is no fee?
Yes, you can.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:42 pm

Is anyone else having difficulties adding a new bill payment? I get the following error:
Sorry, it looks like the account number or the zip code you entered is incorrect (you may need to enter 5 or 9 zip code numbers). Please try again.
This occurred when I tried US Bank, Citi, Chase, Verizon, etc. I already have some Chase ones saved and paying bills with existing ones works fine. Very frustrating!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
Is anyone else having difficulties adding a new bill payment? I get the following error:

This occurred when I tried US Bank, Citi, Chase, Verizon, etc. I already have some Chase ones saved and paying bills with existing ones works fine. Very frustrating!
Did you try to enter the billing zip code of the company without dashes?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:01 pm

Me and the wife just each received a scary email:

During a recent review, we noticed unusual/irregular activity on your Bluebird Account.

For your security and protection, your Bluebird Account has been suspended while we conduct further investigation.

Please contact us immediately by calling Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454.

When I try to login at bluebird.com I get the notification:

Your account is locked.

As a security precaution we’ve locked your account. Please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990 to unlock your account.

My wife called, was put on hold for 20 minutes or so and they verified her phone number and then unlocked her account shortly afterwards. She can login to BB online without issue.

My BB experience: currently loading 5K on my account with VRs for the last 2 months.
- Pay my mortgage with BB
- Pay for regular expenses like Costco or groceries
- Have paid off one credit card which I did not use to make VR payments
- Yesterday I requested $1000 to be transferred to my linked bank account
- I have loaded my wife's BB with VR after hitting my 5K limit and had her transfer money to me 2 times.

I think either the money transfer from my wife or me requesting $1000 transfer into my linked bank account probably triggered some type of suspicious activity warning.

I am now on hold with customer service for the last 12 minutes. Will keep you guys updated. I'm feeling a bit nervous.

EDIT: OK just got off the phone with customer service. They checked out my "funding source" whom was my wife, everything checked out fine, and they released the hold on my account. I'm going to tread lightly with BB for now.

Last edited by yOyOYoo; Feb 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm Reason: updating information
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:20 pm

Thanks for sharing, YoYoYoo.

Looks like there is a silver lining in your report: notably, that the account was quickly reopened, funds were not locked up for long periods of time, etc. It also appears that you were using BB about as aggressively as you can (by that I mean hitting the 5k limit, etc).

I transfered $650 to my linked bank account a few weeks ago, and $480 today, both without incident, so to me this says that best practice may be to transfer in amounts < $1000.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
No as there wasn't a box to enter any address info. The only things it asks for are "nickname for payee" and account # since all of those payees are ones that Bluebird already has saved in the system.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:30 pm

If I had to guess it was the wife's BB transfers to you that triggered it since both of you got locked at same time, and I've transferred > $1000 to my bank account a couple times w/o incident. But who knows...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
When paying my Citibank Dividend card, which payee do I chose: "Citibank Credit Card" or "Citicards" ?

I hate how you can't view the payment address of bluebird payees.
I paid my Citi Dividend card to one called "Citi Cards."
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
i have often paid my wife's cc bill, the bill pay does not ask for name, it just asks for account number
Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
No as there wasn't a box to enter any address info. The only things it asks for are "nickname for payee" and account # since all of those payees are ones that Bluebird already has saved in the system.
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Thanks.
I got this also. Trying to enter the account number of my local light & power company (which was supposedly in their system). I tried removing dashes, spaces, etc. No luck. Figured I'd just pay it from my checking account. My local cable internet provider was in their system and I had no problem setting them up.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
small data point here, been using BB for 2-3K VR loads and some day to day spending on groceries, dinner out, etc. paid small payments to my spg amex no problems as well but not getting crazy ...I really enjoy this card and even the random bill pays have arrived in a 4-5 business day period. Its not amazing but I am happy using it for fee free atm pulls and paying my rent etc. I know people freak about paying amex w/ it but amex is a big card provider and its not out of ordinary for me to own a bb and have an amex cc. moderation always the key much like anything
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by dedkends
Originally Posted by samnc0
no problem getting 2 VR at CVS via two $500 visa cards I purchased at OD with the Ink CC.
I've had success with VISA GCs also, but it was about a month ago. Oddly, I couldn't get an AMEX GC to work for a VR at CVS two days ago. Machine keep saying "another form of payment is required."
The quote above was the only hit in this thread for my search of "another form of payment is required."

This morning (for the first time after experiencing no previous problems at this exact C V S), I received the "another form of payment is required" error that prevents the transaction from going through on 2 different credit cards (after which I politely thanked the cashier and left). After leaving, I received a call from the fraud department on the first card I tried. So, if you get the "another form of payment is required" error using a credit card at C V S, it is likely simply a fraud alert associated with your credit card.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdinino
small data point here, been using BB for 2-3K VR loads and some day to day spending on groceries, dinner out, etc. paid small payments to my spg amex no problems as well but not getting crazy ...I really enjoy this card and even the random bill pays have arrived in a 4-5 business day period. Its not amazing but I am happy using it for fee free atm pulls and paying my rent etc. I know people freak about paying amex w/ it but amex is a big card provider and its not out of ordinary for me to own a bb and have an amex cc. moderation always the key much like anything
Umm, sure. Moderation. No one has reported this card being shut down, or any warnings, ever. And plenty of people pound all $5k in 5 days in and 1 day out to the credit card they buy other instruments to load it with.
So keep on moderating.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FindAWay
The quote above was the only hit in this thread for my search of "another form of payment is required."

This morning (for the first time after experiencing no previous problems at this exact C V S), I received the "another form of payment is required" error that prevents the transaction from going through on 2 different credit cards (after which I politely thanked the cashier and left). After leaving, I received a call from the fraud department on the first card I tried. So, if you get the "another form of payment is required" error using a credit card at C V S, it is likely simply a fraud alert associated with your credit card.
Had the exact same thing happen to me. Cashier said he wasn't sure why it was giving him that error, so I called up Chase and they said that they didn't see any charges come through from C V S. Ended up giving up.

Then, like 5 days later, I get a call from the fraud department about the $506 (VR and chapstick) charge I was trying to make at C V S. Not sure if it was because I was out of town for a trip to CA when I tried to buy it or what, but it was definitely the fraud alert, not C V S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.