Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
When paying my Citibank Dividend card, which payee do I chose: "Citibank Credit Card" or "Citicards" ?

I hate how you can't view the payment address of bluebird payees.
I used "Citibank Credit Card" for my Citibank Dividend Visa, Citibank World MC, and Citibank HHonors Visa.... and all 3 work fine.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Majikow
Had the exact same thing happen to me. Cashier said he wasn't sure why it was giving him that error, so I called up Chase and they said that they didn't see any charges come through from C V S. Ended up giving up.

Then, like 5 days later, I get a call from the fraud department about the $506 (VR and chapstick) charge I was trying to make at C V S. Not sure if it was because I was out of town for a trip to CA when I tried to buy it or what, but it was definitely the fraud alert, not C V S.
Hey Maj
Same thing happened to me when I was in CA. But it was with my 2 Citi HHonors cards. I did get the fraud alert text when I got back to the hotel and plugged my dead phone in. I had no problems with the Chase card. I gues I should not of been so lazy and tool some time to call the CCs and tell them the travel plans.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I got this also. Trying to enter the account number of my local light & power company (which was supposedly in their system). I tried removing dashes, spaces, etc. No luck. Figured I'd just pay it from my checking account. My local cable internet provider was in their system and I had no problem setting them up.
Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:20 pm

Just sent a payment off for my student loans to the US Dept of Ed/ FedLoan Servicing. It has 25 days to get there but I've got my fingers crossed that it makes it there okay and doesn't get lost somehow. I had no problem with my rent, Chase CC, or Florida Power and Light so it should be all good. Man if I can pay student loan payments with this thing it can be a gold mine for me. haha.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by stils
Just sent a payment off for my student loans to the US Dept of Ed/ FedLoan Servicing. It has 25 days to get there but I've got my fingers crossed that it makes it there okay and doesn't get lost somehow. I had no problem with my rent, Chase CC, or Florida Power and Light so it should be all good. Man if I can pay student loan payments with this thing it can be a gold mine for me. haha.
I've been paying my loans with this for months. If you send a payment before close of business on Day 1, you'll see it on myedaccount sometime around the afternoon of Day 3 with a payment post date of Day 2.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:36 pm

Can someone do me a favor and try to add a new bill payment for a credit card with USBank and see if it gives you the error message I receive:

"Sorry, it looks like the account number or the zip code you entered is incorrect (you may need to enter 5 or 9 zip code numbers). Please try again."

It only asks for an account number which I entered correctly and a nickname. So I'm wondering if the saved information is screwed up.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:52 pm

I had kind of a funny experience today.

I went to buy a VR at CVS, and it was pretty busy in the middle of the day. There was a decent line stacking up so sure enough just before I get to the front of the line the supervisor opens a register and takes me as her first transaction. I hand her the VRs, and she turns to the other (non supervisory) employee to ask 1) if it can be loaded as high as $500 and 2) if it can be purchased with CC. The employee answered in the affirmative for both, the supervisor thoroughly checked my ID, completed the transaction, and I was on my way.

Clearly, if there was any instruction to limit purchases to cash, debit, etc, the management at this location was not paying attention.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terpfan101
Can someone do me a favor and try to add a new bill payment for a credit card with USBank and see if it gives you the error message I receive:

"Sorry, it looks like the account number or the zip code you entered is incorrect (you may need to enter 5 or 9 zip code numbers). Please try again."

It only asks for an account number which I entered correctly and a nickname. So I'm wondering if the saved information is screwed up.
US Bank does not work. It has been reported multiple times in January already.

If you feel you can risk a paper check, then set it up manually as a check payment and pay a small amount paper check WAY AHEAD of your due date to see how it goes.

But I would suggest you to forget about using BB to pay US Bank as nobody has success setting it up as a Payee for electronic payment (much quicker and safer, no hassle no headache ACH versus a manual check which seems to have a hit or miss result.)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Just 5 1/2 hours until a new month starts and i got 4 new cards to meet spend on last week
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Me and the wife just each received a scary email:

During a recent review, we noticed unusual/irregular activity on your Bluebird Account.

For your security and protection, your Bluebird Account has been suspended while we conduct further investigation.

Please contact us immediately by calling Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454.

When I try to login at bluebird.com I get the notification:

Your account is locked.

As a security precaution we’ve locked your account. Please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990 to unlock your account.

My wife called, was put on hold for 20 minutes or so and they verified her phone number and then unlocked her account shortly afterwards. She can login to BB online without issue.

My BB experience: currently loading 5K on my account with VRs for the last 2 months.
- Pay my mortgage with BB
- Pay for regular expenses like Costco or groceries
- Have paid off one credit card which I did not use to make VR payments
- Yesterday I requested $1000 to be transferred to my linked bank account
- I have loaded my wife's BB with VR after hitting my 5K limit and had her transfer money to me 2 times.

I think either the money transfer from my wife or me requesting $1000 transfer into my linked bank account probably triggered some type of suspicious activity warning.

I am now on hold with customer service for the last 12 minutes. Will keep you guys updated. I'm feeling a bit nervous.

EDIT: OK just got off the phone with customer service. They checked out my "funding source" whom was my wife, everything checked out fine, and they released the hold on my account. I'm going to tread lightly with BB for now.

Interesting.

Was the funding source for both accounts (yours and your wifes) your wifes bank account? In your original post (before edit) you did not notate this issue, but this could certainly draw 'auto systems' attention.

This is a good datapoint for others that may have questions about linking their BB account to a bank account (or funding source) that is not in their name. I don't believe anyone has reported trying/testing this in the past.

It appears your funding source being in a name that did not match yours threw up a red flag.

Glad it worked out for you.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by particlemn
Just 5 1/2 hours until a new month starts and i got 4 new cards to meet spend on last week
I wish we could load more than $1k per day.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
Interesting.

Was the funding source for both accounts (yours and your wifes) your wifes bank account? In your original post (before edit) you did not notate this issue, but this could certainly draw 'auto systems' attention.

This is a good datapoint for others that may have questions about linking their BB account to a bank account (or funding source) that is not in their name. I don't believe anyone has reported trying/testing this in the past.

It appears your funding source being in a name that did not match yours threw up a red flag.

Glad it worked out for you.
My wife never added a funding source.

After I hit the 5K VR load for this month, I continued to buy some VR, then I loaded my wife's account with them.

I had my wife send the funds from her BB account directly to my BB account afterwards, and I think this is what triggered the "unusual / irregular activity" on our accounts. Both our accounts were locked the next day. I'm glad BB was able to get both our accounts unlocked without too much hassle.

Next time I'm just going to leave her BB account alone and use her BB account to pay for our mutual bills, etc. Lesson learned.

You make a great point about bank account funding source matching BB account name.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:45 pm

Wow, you guys are counting the time. I am just starting this thing, and hope I find VR's to load my BB. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Originally Posted by particlemn
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Must have missed the news on this one. Have paid both my US Bank bills (Carlson and Travel Rewards) with BB. No issues with payment not arriving.

Originally Posted by Happy
US Bank does not work. It has been reported multiple times in January already.

If you feel you can risk a paper check, then set it up manually as a check payment and pay a small amount paper check WAY AHEAD of your due date to see how it goes.

But I would suggest you to forget about using BB to pay US Bank as nobody has success setting it up as a Payee for electronic payment (much quicker and safer, no hassle no headache ACH versus a manual check which seems to have a hit or miss result.)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by punjabi2
Wow, you guys are counting the time. I am just starting this thing, and hope I find VR's to load my BB. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Depending on where you live it might not even be an issue. I live near PBI and I've never had a problem finding them, purchasing them, or anything else. (Yes I'm knocking on wood right now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.