Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by TravelWonk
Anyone read today's Travel Summary post? Apparently CVS will require additional info when buying $1K+ in gift cards at a time. The end is near.
I'm shocked, SHOCKED to discover that people going in and buying tens of thousands of dollars of VRs at a pop might result in the vendors taking action to restrict such abuse.

Who could have ever imagined they would do such a thing?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: SQ
Right, why can some people just be so naive and lazy.

At least buy two $495 cards in 2 separate transactions - that works fine
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Anyone read today's Travel Summary post? Apparently CVS will require additional info when buying $1K+ in gift cards at a time. The end is near.

http://travel-summary.com/the-vanilla-sky-is-falling/
Not for me. Just bought 2 @ $500. Clerk said need to run this as two transactions, took the extra 10 seconds for two swipes and two signatures. Not even a request for an ID check. Didn't ask why the two transactions, could be related to new limit but this store and/or clerk don't care and just will work around it.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by strummerjones
I've tried about 10 different CVS stores in the LA area over the past couple of weeks and found no rhyme or reason with respect to the acceptance of CCs. It varies from cashier to cashier, store to store, hour to hour.
Been like that since the beginning. You can either tase the clerk vault over the counter and ring it up yourself, or roll on to the next store.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:46 pm

After reading this, I couldn't wait to try so I went to CVS and got 3 beans in 2 transactions. No problem. They even stock a lot more than a few days ago.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:07 pm

Same here, just went to my regular cvs and got 2 beans. Loaded on BB in store itself

Originally Posted by jrey
After reading this, I couldn't wait to try so I went to CVS and got 3 beans in 2 transactions. No problem. They even stock a lot more than a few days ago.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
That manager should be promoted...
And the cashier fired for arguing with the manager in front of a client...
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite

I believe a Mr. Chicken Little wrote that story about the sky falling.. Ain't happening - if anything CVS stores are stocking more VR cards in my area.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Right, why can some people just be so naive and lazy.

At least buy two $495 cards in 2 separate transactions - that works fine
The max limit is $500 per card. You're a fool wasting money if you don't spend the full $500 (plus $3.95 fee) per card.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I bought multiples at several stores over the last few days. Not a hint of an issue at any point.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Blogger claims form is required for "all gift card transactions over $1,000", yet most CVS now state that you can't buy more than $1k/day, thus rendering this form pointless.

Someone's full of crap here
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
The max limit is $500 per card. You're a fool wasting money if you don't spend the full $500 (plus $3.95 fee) per card.
I'm guessing he's using $500 pre-paid cards to pay for it.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I'm guessing he's using $500 pre-paid cards to pay for it.
OK, but then pay the rest on a credit card. CVS allows you to split a transaction between two payment cards.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCBob
OK, but then pay the rest on a credit card. CVS allows you to split a transaction between two payment cards.
A few CVS near me don't allow it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:11 am

This morning a local clerk informed me that they don't take checks for beans. Not a problem!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.