Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
US Bank does not work. It has been reported multiple times in January already.
It works just fine for some of us.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
My wife never added a funding source.

After I hit the 5K VR load for this month, I continued to buy some VR, then I loaded my wife's account with them.

I had my wife send the funds from her BB account directly to my BB account afterwards, and I think this is what triggered the "unusual / irregular activity" on our accounts. Both our accounts were locked the next day. I'm glad BB was able to get both our accounts unlocked without too much hassle.

Next time I'm just going to leave her BB account alone and use her BB account to pay for our mutual bills, etc. Lesson learned.

You make a great point about bank account funding source matching BB account name.

I load BB and transfer to my daughter, who is on campus weekly (for her expenses) and never had an issue.

I really think it's your funding source 'since that's what they had to verify as well'.

It appears they locked both account because the bank account in her name was on your BB account. She could have linked her account to her BB account and withdrew to her own account. (just my opinion, but since they did not ask you why the transfer occurred from her account to yours, I would guess the non matching names is what threw the flag).

Transfers are offered, so a transfer should not be an issue.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Question - I set up BB online, have my account numbers and all, picked up a couple of VRs but haven't gotten my actual BB card yet. Is there any reason I can't go ahead and add the funds to my account?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Question - I set up BB online, have my account numbers and all, picked up a couple of VRs but haven't gotten my actual BB card yet. Is there any reason I can't go ahead and add the funds to my account?
I think you need the BB card itself so you can get the card number. When you go to add funds from the VR you need the card number. Not sure if you can get that number anywhere other than the card.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
I've been paying my loans with this for months. If you send a payment before close of business on Day 1, you'll see it on myedaccount sometime around the afternoon of Day 3 with a payment post date of Day 2.
Are you sending them a check? or are you able to find myedaccount through BB's pre-selected list?

My loans got transferred to a new 3rd party mgt company, they are in BB, but it doesnt recognize my acct $
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I had kind of a funny experience today.

I went to buy a VR at CVS, and it was pretty busy in the middle of the day. There was a decent line stacking up so sure enough just before I get to the front of the line the supervisor opens a register and takes me as her first transaction. I hand her the VRs, and she turns to the other (non supervisory) employee to ask 1) if it can be loaded as high as $500 and 2) if it can be purchased with CC. The employee answered in the affirmative for both, the supervisor thoroughly checked my ID, completed the transaction, and I was on my way.

Clearly, if there was any instruction to limit purchases to cash, debit, etc, the management at this location was not paying attention.
Wow that same thing happened to me yesterday. They have self checkout at my store and the guy who I usually buy from and never gives me a problem was directing people to them, they only had one person working the registers so a guy who was dressed in more casual clothes opened one up and I was like damn I don't want to go to him. Well he asked the guy next to me the same things your person asked. I was nervous for a bit but it was all fine. He definitely was confused though.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
It works just fine for some of us.
Originally Posted by TravelTexan
Must have missed the news on this one. Have paid both my US Bank bills (Carlson and Travel Rewards) with BB. No issues with payment not arriving.
Originally Posted by Happy
US Bank does not work. It has been reported multiple times in January already.

If you feel you can risk a paper check, then set it up manually as a check payment and pay a small amount paper check WAY AHEAD of your due date to see how it goes.

But I would suggest you to forget about using BB to pay US Bank as nobody has success setting it up as a Payee for electronic payment (much quicker and safer, no hassle no headache ACH versus a manual check which seems to have a hit or miss result.)
Interesting stuff. To UpgradeMe and TravelTexan...when did you set up USB as a payee and I'm assuming you use the electronic version? Maybe it's new that it won't work...
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:59 pm

CVS cashier: "Sir, are you trying to laundry money with these gift cards?"

Me: "Not if I'm paying them with credit card"

Cashier: "Credit card, please!"
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:29 pm

Successfully bought 2 vanilla beans at that pharmacy ( ) today (in one transaction) and immediately loaded to my BB card (in the store itself). No more mistakes on this one ))
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:06 pm

Is it March yet?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by DCBob
Yes, many times. BB charges a $2 ATM fee overseas. The foreign bank sometimes charges an ATM fee and sometimes does not. It is up to the laws of the foreign country and the policy of the foreign bank (St. George's Bank charges $2 and SunCorp Bank charges NO ATM fee in Australia). The foreign exchange rate is determined by BB, UNLESS the ATM gives you the option to have your withdrawal charged in US dollars (like ANZ Bank does in Australia). If you are asked to be charged in US dollars, DO NOT select YES - the foreign bank will charge you at a less advantageous rate than BB will.
I have used the BB for the first time over several weeks in Thailand and was very happy with it.

It was always $2 and 0%, never a local bank charge, and the conversion rate was "proper" (I checked several times within hours).

I never saw an option for the local bank to convert, but yeah, I would certainly decline.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
CVS cashier: "Sir, are you trying to laundry money with these gift cards?"

Me: "Not if I'm paying them with credit card"

Cashier: "Credit card, please!"
You best not be trying to hided you money laundry.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:31 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
I have not been having any luck finding VRs at CVS. When I was looking, I saw that Green Dot has a "Express Bill Pay" card that offers online bill pay. It looks like this:

Has anyone tried this? Pros/Cons? Couldn't find much info online about card fees & limits, but the bill pay service itself is free and looks like limits $1000 per payment and $2500 per day. Link to bill pay FAQ.

Last edited by c2d; Mar 1, 2013 at 8:32 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by c2d
I have not been having any luck finding VRs at CVS. When I was looking, I saw that Green Dot has a "Express Bill Pay" card that offers online bill pay. It looks like this:

Has anyone tried this? Pros/Cons? Couldn't find much info online about card fees & limits, but the bill pay service itself is free and looks like limits $1000 per payment and $2500 per day. Link to bill pay FAQ.
Here you go with the thread on the subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ebit-card.html
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:12 am
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by mshah
Here you go with the thread on the subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ebit-card.html
Thanks mshah! I guess the message is stay as far away from GD prepaid as possible. So, the only (relatively) safe thing with GD is the moneypak -> paypal route. Hopefully I can get my paypal debit card soon so I can use at WM to load my BB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.