Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Has anyone tried to track what day/date VR's are delivered to their local CVS'? If you have, would you be willing to share any frequency data - do VR's arrive weekly/every-other-week/once-a-month?

I stumbled upon some data, purely by accident, that gave me a couple of leads. These may be a coincidence but I figure I can invest a little time to try and figure this out. If the deliveries are at random or irregular intervals, this "project" will go nowhere, but we'll see.
I've tried to keep a mental note of my favorite CVS's VR availability.

This is only based on the previous 3 weeks. My favorite CVS only puts out ~15-20 VRs as far as I can tell. The previous 3 weeks these have been put on the shelf either Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning. The truck for this CVS comes on Friday (as told to me by a very nice & pretty cashier) so this tells me 2 things: 1) sometimes CVS employees don't get around to putting all truck merchandise on the shelf until the day after the truck comes and 2) the VRs are coming on the truck not by an independent contractor (though it may have just been a crazy coincidence that the VRs get there the same day/day after as the truck). The past 3 weeks these VRs have been gone by Sunday evening/Monday (vultures I tell ya , only 2-4 are from me/my gf). The following Friday/Saturday morning they are back again.

I'm kind of thinking that this store manager has limited her VRs to protect herself from fraud. Just a guess though.

Additionally, the other 2 CVS near me have no rhyme or reason to their VR availability. One of the two, I have only seen VR in the store one time in the past 2 months yet they still have a place for them. The other one has them about every 2-3 weeks, but just this past weekend had gotten in ~40 (sweet!). However, when I bought 1 here the cashier very specifically said "you're using a regular credit card right?"
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Don't want to start a new thread and hence this question: Does anyone know what is coded for WalMart purchase i.e. does it classify as Grocery store? Also, same question for Walmart neighborhood stores. I saw Visa gift cards at my Wally and trying to diversify my credit card options.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MilesGator
However, when I bought 1 here the cashier very specifically said "you're using a regular credit card right?"
Crazy. I guess GCs are slightly riskier as anyone can acquire them (not directly linked to the consumer). Why else would they even care?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Has anyone tried to track what day/date VR's are delivered to their local CVS'? If you have, would you be willing to share any frequency data - do VR's arrive weekly/every-other-week/once-a-month?

I stumbled upon some data, purely by accident, that gave me a couple of leads. These may be a coincidence but I figure I can invest a little time to try and figure this out. If the deliveries are at random or irregular intervals, this "project" will go nowhere, but we'll see.
I was told they were delivered to my CVS once a week, on the same day. Wish I could say the day but availability sucks now because people are getting greedy.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSYnola
I was told they were delivered to my CVS once a week, on the same day. Wish I could say the day but availability sucks now because people are getting greedy.
I wonder if the massive Hilton devaluation will make people more or less greedy.

It takes a long time to earn 95,000 for a single top-tier night, even at 6 pts/$...

As for me, I'll only buy VRs with a 2% cash back card to get a few bucks off of my mortgage.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Stoughton; Feb 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
I wonder if the massive Hilton devaluation will make people more or less greedy.

It takes a long time to earn 95,000 for a single top-tier night, even at 6 pts/$...

As for me, I'll only buy VRs with a 2% cash back card to get a few bucks off of my mortgage.
My thoughts also.

Currently I'm maxing out 5x UR on 2 (soon to be 3) Freedom cards, as well as 2 Citibank Dividend 5% category cards. After that I'm not sure what I should do. I don't have a 2% cash back card, but I do have a 1.5% cash back card.

It is nice to get some cash back and points off paying the mortgage every month.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Thanks all for the delivery info. I think I may have stumbled upon the weekly delivery date at a couple of CVS. I will follow up and see if I can validate this.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 pm

I'm using an Amex to by the VRs and paying off a chase bill (among other things). Think it's too "risky" to pay off the amex bill that I'm actually buying the VRs with? There was talk about abusing the OD with 5x and it being risky going back to pay off Chase with BB but not as much with paying off an Amex bill or even chase that you haven't bought the VR with.
Also I've noticed that the VRs at my CVS don't have the $20-$500 load marked in the upper right. Now it's right smack in the middle of the cards. It threw me off at first. Just letting others know.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by stils
I'm using an Amex to by the VRs and paying off a chase bill (among other things). Think it's too "risky" to pay off the amex bill that I'm actually buying the VRs with? There was talk about abusing the OD with 5x and it being risky going back to pay off Chase with BB but not as much with paying off an Amex bill or even chase that you haven't bought the VR with.
Also I've noticed that the VRs at my CVS don't have the $20-$500 load marked in the upper right. Now it's right smack in the middle of the cards. It threw me off at first. Just letting others know.
I just buy with Amex, transfer from BB to bank account 1, transfer from account 1 to account 2 (at a different bank), pay Amex bill from account 2.

I also don't run nearly as much though BB as other people do.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I just buy with Amex, transfer from BB to bank account 1, transfer from account 1 to account 2 (at a different bank), pay Amex bill from account 2.

I also don't run nearly as much though BB as other people do.
I pay off my Amex bill straight from Bluebird. I've been doing this for a month with no problem.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:49 pm

Thanks all for the delivery info. I think I may have stumbled upon the weekly delivery date at a couple of CVS. I will follow up and see if I can validate this.
How did you determine this? Just by scouting it out or asking? I haven't seen new ones in Northern VA in ages.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:04 pm

Hi All, just wondering for those with experience how long does it take for Chase credit card payment to post on Chase website? I made a payment to AMEX and that took about 2 business days. Going on 2 complete business days waiting for Chase Business Card to post.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by mterr1
Hi All, just wondering for those with experience how long does it take for Chase credit card payment to post on Chase website? I made a payment to AMEX and that took about 2 business days. Going on 2 complete business days waiting for Chase Business Card to post.
Monday was not a business day for the banks
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:17 pm

I spoke to someone at CVS and they said that the deliveries of more VRs are based on when the inventory in the system gets low. Its times like this that I am glad I live in such a rural, uneducated area. There's nobody else playing the frequent flyer game! However, I've noticed that CVS stores in bad neighborhoods get nervous when you pull out a credit card. They even check ID for regular purchases sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.