Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:53 pm

Has anyone tried getting Ice Cream with AMEX gift card? I was just rejected by manager
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by cronin85
Has anyone tried getting Ice Cream with AMEX gift card? I was just rejected by manager
Not unusual. It is cashier, manager, and store dependent. All the stores in your area may have the same policy or they may not. The only way to know is to try.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cronin85
as other folks have pointed out in the past, you need to work the system. Find the right cashier and everything is a go. If you find the wrong person, nothing will work..

the main reason they don't accept gift cards is because they can't verify your identity.. a little bit of social engineering goes a long way in making the cashiers feel at ease
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar
as other folks have pointed out in the past, you need to work the system. Find the right cashier and everything is a go. If you find the wrong person, nothing will work..

the main reason they don't accept gift cards is because they can't verify your identity.. a little bit of social engineering goes a long way in making the cashiers feel at ease
Oh trust me, I'm very friendly with cashiers, but this one wasn't a regular cashier.. she was a photo tech and she seemed like a bi*#&... I'll try tonight with my favorite cashier at different location.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
I can't see anything suspect in the pictures, what is the tell?
It looks like the green portion bordering the silver has been tampered with. I think you can carefully remove the green border.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: ALL :)

Sometimes you need to train the cashiers, but don't argue and ruin it for everyone else at your store. We don't want a massive store training.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:14 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by steventravel
Sometimes you need to train the cashiers, but don't argue and ruin it for everyone else at your store. We don't want a massive store training.
I think one of the best things you can do is be friendly with the cashiers and even get to know them a little (from a customer standpoint)... I have my "go to" cashiers at 3 different CVS's and at my local Office Depot... R.I.P... It's great because they know what I'm buying before I even get up to the register and automatically apply that amount to the cards when they scan them.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:11 pm

Tried getting Vanilla Reloads at my local CVS, but they had none... not even a spot for them. All I saw were the MyVanilla and Vanilla Visas. None of those work would they? Is there any drawback to getting the VRs at 7-11, etc instead?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mastermind85
Tried getting Vanilla Reloads at my local CVS, but they had none... not even a spot for them. All I saw were the MyVanilla and Vanilla Visas. None of those work would they? Is there any drawback to getting the VRs at 7-11, etc instead?
not all CVS stores carry VR's. I know of a few of them in the bay area. No harm in buying them at 7-11, but it's rare to find one that accepts CC to purchase VR's.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:19 pm

MVD can work in other ways but go to that topic search the forums
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by distantarray
MVD can work in other ways but go to that topic search the forums
PM please? One way I knew was in OD, but that's dead since last week.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:55 am

.. a little bit of social engineering goes a long way in making the cashiers feel at ease
+1. Nicely said & couldn't agree more.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:44 am

Ok, finally found a stash of VR at my local CVS. Didn't try buying yet as I am still learning the trade-secrets, but hopefully soon, I will be up to the game. Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Not everyone is cut to play the miles and points game. It requires time, effort, $$$ and a sound knowledge of the programs.
You left out the psychological component. Clearly there are people playing this game that are teetering on the brink (e.g. bizarre threats/intimidation in the forum, confrontations with cashiers etc.). The stress of the game doesn't sit well with them.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I had the same situation and was resolved to walk out of the store empty handed but saw they kept them right by the checkout. Snagged 2. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.