Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by thisisyourlife
This infamous CVS store in Atlanta was completely out of beans today except for two cards conveniently located at eye level. I was on my way to the register but thought to check the back of the cards. It is probably hard to tell from the pictures, but in person, one can easily see that someone had tampered with the pin cover. I left without a purchase.

What store was that? I generally buy 4 cards at a time but when they tell me I can only get 2 I put the other 2 back on any empty slot. Usually this is around eye level.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:06 pm

I had a nice long chat today with the Amex FR Rep. I brought it on myself by taking my brand new Surpass card out for a tour of the area CVS locations. After the 3rd stop, the card was rejected and I got a message at my house from the Fraud department. Upon calling back, I was redirected to a very polite financial review rep.

I verified my job, income (same as what I reported on the application) and the amount of purchasing. I explained that I was buying some gift cards to accelerate my gas and grocery expenses to meet the minimum spend for the card bonuses as soon as possible, and he seemed happy with that. He then looked at the spending on my other Amex cards and has some more questions, basically saying that my spending seemed high for my income, so I had to repeat the story about accelerating expenses.

In the end, he said he didn't need any more documentation at this time, and unlocked my account. Then I had to deal with the fraud department, but that's easy stuff after the FR guys.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
not all CVS stores carry VR's. I know of a few of them in the bay area. No harm in buying them at 7-11, but it's rare to find one that accepts CC to purchase VR's.
If it were easy to find them at 7-11's that accept CCs, everyone would be buying them there.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by rajin
I had a nice long chat today with the Amex FR Rep. I brought it on myself by taking my brand new Surpass card out for a tour of the area CVS locations. After the 3rd stop, the card was rejected and I got a message at my house from the Fraud department. Upon calling back, I was redirected to a very polite financial review rep.

I verified my job, income (same as what I reported on the application) and the amount of purchasing. I explained that I was buying some gift cards to accelerate my gas and grocery expenses to meet the minimum spend for the card bonuses as soon as possible, and he seemed happy with that. He then looked at the spending on my other Amex cards and has some more questions, basically saying that my spending seemed high for my income, so I had to repeat the story about accelerating expenses.

In the end, he said he didn't need any more documentation at this time, and unlocked my account. Then I had to deal with the fraud department, but that's easy stuff after the FR guys.
I'm curious how much you were spending relative to your stated income. Also, do you have any AUs on your account that increase your spending relative to income? Were you paying Amex from BB? This is something I get nervous about as I've started to scale up spend with things like VR.

Also, I know amex does their FR, and Citi will frquently send out the same tax form - but I don't hear much about Chase in this regard. Anyone with more insight?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:46 am

FYI, I stopped at my usual CVS, and was told by the cashier I couldn't use a credit card. This is the first time this has happened to me at any CVS . I'll stop by another one that usually is stocked, and see what they do.

I get the feeling this will become more and more common.

She said it wasn't a new policy, they are just going to start enforcing it. Not sure if that is BS or not.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beckkl
FYI, I stopped at my usual CVS, and was told by the cashier I couldn't use a credit card. This is the first time this has happened to me at any CVS . I'll stop by another one that usually is stocked, and see what they do.

I get the feeling this will become more and more common.

She said it wasn't a new policy, they are just going to start enforcing it. Not sure if that is BS or not.
Wait a week and when you try again they will tell you you can't pay cash for them or some other bs. They change like the wind.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I'm curious how much you were spending relative to your stated income. Also, do you have any AUs on your account that increase your spending relative to income? Were you paying Amex from BB? This is something I get nervous about as I've started to scale up spend with things like VR.

Also, I know amex does their FR, and Citi will frquently send out the same tax form - but I don't hear much about Chase in this regard. Anyone with more insight?
Average spend over the last 3 months was about 2/3 of my stated monthly income. No AUs, almost all spending was in the form of CVS charges for $1007.90.

Amex was always paid from my checking account. The FR analyst definitely didn't see the bluebird activity, so they aren't that integrated yet.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ia9561
I had the same situation and was resolved to walk out of the store empty handed but saw they kept them right by the checkout. Snagged 2. ^
Where near the checkout specifically? Ive checked three CVS's and no dice at any of them :\.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Where near the checkout specifically? Ive checked three CVS's and no dice at any of them :\.
Some CVS have a few GC's hanging next to the register (rack usually holds 3 different GC's and some candy/gum) and some do not. All depends on store layout
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DCBob
If it were easy to find them at 7-11's that accept CCs, everyone would be buying them there.
umm.. isn't that exactly what I said?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by rajin
Average spend over the last 3 months was about 2/3 of my stated monthly income. No AUs, almost all spending was in the form of CVS charges for $1007.90.

Amex was always paid from my checking account. The FR analyst definitely didn't see the bluebird activity, so they aren't that integrated yet.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Since I have two AU's, both of whom reimburse me for their charges, sometimes my activity comes pretty close to my stated income. I get the impression that in your situation what initially triggered the review department was that almost all spending was $1000+ charges at CVS. Then, a smart CSR noticed the ratio of spend to income.

Either way, glad you escaped a full FR, and thanks for the info.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going for a quick trip to Maui. Has anyone found VRs there? Or Honolulu?

Thx
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Just a thought on the missing PIN digits issue.

Suppose that what they are doing is damaging the card in order to force you to call in? Once calling in, you provide the serial number and 6 digits of a PIN to a CSR. At that point it seams the CSR is able to pull the entire PIN.

An inside job, with a few CSRs in on the deal? You call in, they take the card data and pass it off to somebody?

Just had one come up. On my first call, the agent took the info and hung me out to dry. On the second call, the card had already been loaded. Suspicious? [I did just fax this in to the guys].

This also explains the ATL issue, Whoever is hitting the cards must work with a CSR (presumably in Atlanta) for it to work.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Just a thought on the missing PIN digits issue.

Suppose that what they are doing is damaging the card in order to force you to call in? Once calling in, you provide the serial number and 6 digits of a PIN to a CSR. At that point it seams the CSR is able to pull the entire PIN.

An inside job, with a few CSRs in on the deal? You call in, they take the card data and pass it off to somebody?

Just had one come up. On my first call, the agent took the info and hung me out to dry. On the second call, the card had already been loaded. Suspicious? [I did just fax this in to the guys].

This also explains the ATL issue, Whoever is hitting the cards must work with a CSR (presumably in Atlanta) for it to work.
With all these fraudulent cards, I am at a loss on 2 things:

1) Why is it such a secrecy not to post the problematic stores locations?

2) Why folks in ATL area not get together to share such info and avoid such bad apples? Or better, report such frauds to the law enforcement?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're just so happy to actually find the cards!

Sure, they won't work and they're a nightmare, but they're the VRs!

I'd be pretty happy if I found some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.