Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Thanks all for the delivery info. I think I may have stumbled upon the weekly delivery date at a couple of CVS. I will follow up and see if I can validate this.
I can't handle this anymore - GO ASK THE CLERK - it's not the launch codes for an ICBM, it's the day a big truck pulls up to the building and a bunch of totes are unloaded.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by mshah
Monday was not a business day for the banks
I know, thats why I wrote going on as it still hasn't posted today and I don't anticipate it will, just wondering others experience paying Chase (business) cards. Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:27 pm

Does anyone know the procedure to load a bluebird using a debit card at WM? Can I go to any of the cashiers?

What would be the easiest way to get cash out of BB w/o paying the ATM fees. Can I just withdraw it from bluebird straight into my checking account month after month?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aegt123
Does anyone know the procedure to load a bluebird using a debit card at WM? Can I go to any of the cashiers?

What would be the easiest way to get cash out of BB w/o paying the ATM fees. Can I just withdraw it from bluebird straight into my checking account month after month?
do you have any credit cards? you can use it to pay the balances off each month on nay of the miles earning credit cards you have, so you get miles when you charge the stuff and miles using the debit card to pay the bill
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mterr1
Hi All, just wondering for those with experience how long does it take for Chase credit card payment to post on Chase website? I made a payment to AMEX and that took about 2 business days. Going on 2 complete business days waiting for Chase Business Card to post.
Sometimes it takes 4 days for me, but it usually posts 2-3 days.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
do you have any credit cards? you can use it to pay the balances off each month on nay of the miles earning credit cards you have, so you get miles when you charge the stuff and miles using the debit card to pay the bill
I have 5 bluebirds in the family and there is no way I spend $25K a monht on credit cards.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:23 pm

Go to a cashier, say you want to reload your Bluebird card, they might give you a confused look but they'll figure it out, they'll swipe your bluebird and ask how much, you swipe your debit card and enter your pin, and you're done.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
2) Using other cards, in this case, the Club Carlson card for the same purchase a month - 5,000. Your cost is the $7.90 x 5 PLUS the $60.50 (opportunity cost) forfeited for a total of $100.
As long as I'm considering the purchase of VR, it is easier for me to leave the fee out of it, since the fee is the same either way.

Put another way, when you use a mileage or points earning card to buy VRs, the fee plus the opportunity cost (foregoing a 2 percent cash back card) is always $100, which of course is exactly the same as the cash back you get on the $5k purchase using a 2 percent card.

So, I simply leave the fee out of it. I ask: Am I getting better than $100 in value out of the $5,000 purchase on x card? It's simpler that way. If I am, then (1) the fee is justified, and (2) not using a 2 percent card is justified.

Let's say I use my Hilton card while it still gives 6x. To figure out whether this is better than a 2 percent cash back card, I simply ask: Do I value 30,000 Hilton points more than I value $100 cash now?

I don't disagree that the more accurate way to do it is to say:

1) A 2 percent cash back card yields me $100 on a $5,000 purchase, and then I deduct the $39.50, for a net cash back of $60.50.

2) The 30,000 Hilton points cost me $39.50, plus the $60.50 opportunity cost, or $100.

3) Do I value 30,000 Hilton points at $100?

But steps 1 and 2 are really unnecessary, so long as you're considering the opportunity cost of using a cash back card to purchase VRs making it an apples to apples comparison. You're just subtracting out the same amount you're adding back.

The only reason I'm really making the point is that when considering which card to use to buy VRs, I'm not just comparing against a cash back baseline, but also comparing card viz. card. It gets too complicated for me to start adding in the opportunity cost of not using the Hilton card to use the SPG card, etc., if I'm putting the fees in and then backing them out. I find it far easier to simply ask the basic question: Given my anticipated needs in the near future, at this moment, which do I value more: (1) 5,000 SPG. (2) 30,000 Hilton. (3) $100. So long as you have the cash back in there, the fee will always be justified (who wouldn't spend $39.50 for $100?) and you can just dispense with it because the opportunity cost plus fee issue is already built into how you have chosen to frame the question.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by TravelSummary
Go to a cashier, say you want to reload your Bluebird card, they might give you a confused look but they'll figure it out, they'll swipe your bluebird and ask how much, you swipe your debit card and enter your pin, and you're done.
What's the max you can do in one swipe? 5K?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:09 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I have 5 bluebirds in the family and there is no way I spend $25K a monht on credit cards.
Then why bother having 5 BB's?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:42 pm

What's the max you can do in one swipe? 5K?
Why not see for yourself: www.bluebird.com
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:17 pm

I'm sure I'll be chided for not searching hard enough, but I did try. And looked on the bluebird faq but couldn't figure it out. Hopefully someone could help me.

I know there is a 5k per month limit to loading BB via VR. Also, according to BB faq, you can load 1k per month via debit card (this is the part I've never tried before).

My question is if I've hit the 5k/month max via VR, can I still load another 1k via my debit card at Walmart? Or does a Walmart debit card load count as a Swipe Reload and is thus governed by the 5k/month rule associated with VRs?

I want to use the WF prepaid card to do this load, so if anyone knows this to be impossible I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:24 pm

According to MillionMileSecrets "There is a $1,000 daily limit & $5,000 monthly limit for loading your Bluebird card with a debit card at Wal-Mart stores. These limits are shared with the limits for Vanilla Reloads."
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MilesGator
My question is if I've hit the 5k/month max via VR, can I still load another 1k via my debit card at Walmart? Or does a Walmart debit card load count as a Swipe Reload and is thus governed by the 5k/month rule associated with VRs?
Since you read the BB FAQs, you must have glossed over the answers, because they are clearly explained there. But here goes anyway:

First question - NO.
Second question - YES
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Since you read the BB FAQs, you must have glossed over the answers, because they are clearly explained there. But here goes anyway:

First question - NO.
Second question - YES
Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.