Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
I have made massive Federal income tax payments using the ST debit card (one was $41K) and have never had an issue.
I guess when the Federal Reserve Bank of Delta devalues SkyPesos, it's not so bad if you have a printing press
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:44 pm

Possibly a dumb question, but, is CVS the type of organization that would file an SAR?

I was on vacation and tried to purchase two VRs at CVS. Store manager rang me up (or tried to). Two different cards declined by the issuer. When I tried the second one, he took my card and ID and went to the phone to call something in. When he came back he told me the card was declined by the issuer.

That was just a straight-up card decline, right?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Possibly a dumb question, but, is CVS the type of organization that would file an SAR?

I was on vacation and tried to purchase two VRs at CVS. Store manager rang me up (or tried to). Two different cards declined by the issuer. When I tried the second one, he took my card and ID and went to the phone to call something in. When he came back he told me the card was declined by the issuer.

That was just a straight-up card decline, right?
sound like it was a fraud alert on your CC.

you may need to call them before you use that CC again.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
sound like it was a fraud alert on your CC.

you may need to call them before you use that CC again.
Yeah. It was a fraud alert. But, I was just reading another thread about SARs for Money Orders, so I got a bit nervous that perhaps they had filled out an SAR for a failed VR transaction. Has that ever happened to anyone?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/florid...122604401.html

People filing fraudulent tax returns to get refunds loaded to, you guessed it, reloadable prepaid cards. Somehow I doubt these folks were getting 5x with Ink or 6x with Hilton AmEx. Just some evidence to show that there is definitely massive fraud involved with prepaid cards...
Do you know who loads up the refunds to the reloadable prepaid cards?

It is your government, the Treasury of United States, i.e. IRS loads the tax refunds to the reloadable prepaid cards if the filers opt to get their refunds via this means.

Do you know who authorized such mechanism to get the tax refund? Your esteemed Congress which passed the laws to force IRS to process refunds first, verified tax returns later.

The fraudster do not buy these cards, they receive these cards from IRS.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah. It was a fraud alert. But, I was just reading another thread about SARs for Money Orders, so I got a bit nervous that perhaps they had filled out an SAR for a failed VR transaction. Has that ever happened to anyone?
May be you want to google what SAR means and know under what scenarios a SAR would be filed before you get nervous for no reason.

You said you are on vacation. Your cards are used "out of area" where you normally would be, for an unusual large amount spent in drug stores. Your cards are declined by the issuers. The first one is auto declined, while the second one probably has "called for authorization" message, but the manager called, it was declined by the fraud dept of the 2nd issuer. That is all.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:30 pm

I know this forum isn't exactly the right place, but google sent me your way and I need some help. We got a bunch of Target visa gc for our wedding. They thought we could use them on our honeymoon...but we can't because they can't be used out of the country. I bought a Vanilla card at CVS and loaded it with $20 using one of the gc. No problems. I want to load the rest on to it to get the cash out to use on our honeymoon. Walgreens didn't work (had the reload cards and tried $100)...would only let me pay $3.95 with the card. If anyone can help me out where I can reload with these visa gc I got I would be so appreciative!! Or if there is a better option for a reloadable!! Thanks gang!! Stephanie
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
You just did it. That's your answer. Welcome.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:01 pm

Thank you I read that some stores can reload the card directly? Or just better off buying reload cards? Sorry to sound dumb but even with the fees, I would rather have cash for our Dominican honeymoon than all these visa gc!! Google was right, you are a great first choice in the search!!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:00 pm

BTW, after reading backwards to page 477...I think I like the BB idea with my rewards cards good luck and happy shopping to all of you earning points and miles!!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:11 pm
umc

Originally Posted by Matysgirl
I know this forum isn't exactly the right place, but google sent me your way and I need some help. We got a bunch of Target visa gc for our wedding. They thought we could use them on our honeymoon...but we can't because they can't be used out of the country. I bought a Vanilla card at CVS and loaded it with $20 using one of the gc. No problems. I want to load the rest on to it to get the cash out to use on our honeymoon. Walgreens didn't work (had the reload cards and tried $100)...would only let me pay $3.95 with the card. If anyone can help me out where I can reload with these visa gc I got I would be so appreciative!! Or if there is a better option for a reloadable!! Thanks gang!! Stephanie
You can use Amazon Payment to liquidate these Target Visa GC.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:17 am

Has anyone purchased beans with a Club Carlson card and had their Gold Points post? I ask because I just received a CC card and its card member agreement states: "We will not award Gold Points for ... certain prepaid card products ... or transactions to purchase cash convertible items...." I don't think beans would apply but would like to check.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:34 am
umc

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Has anyone purchased beans with a Club Carlson card and had their Gold Points post? I ask because I just received a CC card and its card member agreement states: "We will not award Gold Points for ... certain prepaid card products ... or transactions to purchase cash convertible items...." I don't think beans would apply but would like to check.
My wife and I have purchased beans with our Club Carlson cards, and the points do post. Points did not post when we used it to fund US Bank Visa Buxx card.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:23 am

Is this option still available?

While the purchase of vanilla reloads with credit cards at CVS & WG has largely been closed...does anyone know if you can still meet minimum spend by purchasing prepaid amex gift cards (from the Amex site, or somewhere better?), and then using those prepaid gift cards to purchase vanilla reload cards at walgreens?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 am
umc

Originally Posted by frankiwa
While the purchase of vanilla reloads with credit cards at CVS & WG has largely been closed...does anyone know if you can still meet minimum spend by purchasing prepaid amex gift cards (from the Amex site, or somewhere better?), and then using those prepaid gift cards to purchase vanilla reload cards at walgreens?
You can't use prepaid gift cards to purchase VR at Walgreens. It's cash only. CVS seem to work fine for most of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.