Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Happy
If you put it on a 2% cash rebate card. That is the 2% cash earning you give up when use other cards.
But these are manufactured purchases, you reload it onto BB to pay for cc bills. So I don't think you should calculate a loss of 2% cash rebate. The fee is only $3.95 each $500.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:38 pm

So I went around 4 cvs near my home last week and they were all out, even the one just had it the day before. I went back today to the one that normally stocks it and the shelves were still empty. Talked to the manager who normally let me use gc for purchasing and was told they decided to not carry them any more Now what am I going to do with my big batch of OD gc I got the day before they got pulled
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:42 pm

Do you guys pay your Chase Ink Bold with "Chase Credit Cards" payor or where do you send payment? I sent test $5 payment to Chase Credit Cards which was supposed to clear on 12th but as of right now, I don't see the payment posting.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DCBob
No, that's not EXACTLY what you said. You said "No harm in buying them at 7-11, but it's rare to find one that accepts CC to purchase VR's." Change "rare" to "impossible," then we are in agreement.
so, you are absolutely certain that there isn't a SINGLE 7-11 that will sell a VR with a credit card.. you must own every single 7-11 franchise to be that certain.. good for you!

anyways, last post from me on this topic.. sorry to the rest of you folks for taking this off-topic.

PS: what if I were to tell you that I found a 7-11 that sold me a VR which I paid for with my CC.. I guess I must be living in a parallel universe..
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
NoVa

I have bought VR's from at least 6 CVS in NoVa over the past 3 months, from Herndon to Arlington (although not from the Alexandria-King St one ). However, they are totally hit or miss. A store will have a good stock for a week or two, then nothing for two weeks, then re-stocked, repeat...

The only problem with a transaction I've had was at one in Fairfax City where the cashier and manager didn't know how to ring it up.

Let me know if you have a general region where you like to go and I will PM you if I've had success at a store in that area.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
PS: what if I were to tell you that I found a 7-11 that sold me a VR which I paid for with my CC.. I guess I must be living in a parallel universe..
I would be happy to be proven wrong. Just let us know where that 7-11 is. 7-11 stores are nationwide (unlike SuperAmerica gas stations). No one in this thread has ever reported successfully buying VR cards with a CC at 7-11 and that's meets the more likely than not standard.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by cronin85
Do you guys pay your Chase Ink Bold with "Chase Credit Cards" payor or where do you send payment? I sent test $5 payment to Chase Credit Cards which was supposed to clear on 12th but as of right now, I don't see the payment posting.
It should show up eventually unless you typed in the wrong credit card number. It's usually just the website not updating with the payment until a couple days later.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by echip
Originally Posted by Happy
If you put it on a 2% cash rebate card. That is the 2% cash earning you give up when use other cards.
But these are manufactured purchases, you reload it onto BB to pay for cc bills. So I don't think you should calculate a loss of 2% cash rebate. The fee is only $3.95 each $500.
Mintcilantro clarified in his follow up that this is NOT manufactured spend, he uses the BB to simplify his wife's spending. Kinda like that Wallaby service i signed up for and never heard back from, 8 months ago...

In this specific case he's right, since he could give his wife the 2% fido card, he's both giving that up and paying $3.95 per load. Everyone's situation is different, it's not for us to judge.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by sgideons
Mintcilantro clarified in his follow up that this is NOT manufactured spend, he uses the BB to simplify his wife's spending. Kinda like that Wallaby service i signed up for and never heard back from, 8 months ago...

In this specific case he's right, since he could give his wife the 2% fido card, he's both giving that up and paying $3.95 per load. Everyone's situation is different, it's not for us to judge.
Agreed everyone is different. But if you use it to pay your cc bills, then it's manufactured spendings. Mintcilantro did that b/c I don't think his wife would spend anywhere close to $60k, most likely probably are going to be recycled.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
It should show up eventually unless you typed in the wrong credit card number. It's usually just the website not updating with the payment until a couple days later.
I typed in the correct CC # and I'm sure it will show up eventually, but I was just a bit curious why is not posting on day after the post date. All of the other credit cards usually post by midnight next day.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:06 pm

If only you could buy VR credit online using a CC...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
got a nice laugh finding hidden beans behind the paypal cards at my local cvs tonight...and now they're gone don't hide em' buy em'

Last edited by kdinino; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:31 pm

Bad Luck??

Originally Posted by geight
I'll let you know if/when they come back in around NoVA. I've checked probably 15-20 and found 1 that's always had them and 1 sometimes.

Someone PM'd me previously and I let them know where I got mine...they might be the one to blame.

I live in NoVA and have never seen a store that does NOT have VRs....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdinino
got a nice laugh finding hidden beans behind the paypal cards at my local cvs tonight...and now their gone don't hide em' buy em'
hided not hidden
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
I would be happy to be proven wrong. Just let us know where that 7-11 is. 7-11 stores are nationwide (unlike SuperAmerica gas stations). No one in this thread has ever reported successfully buying VR cards with a CC at 7-11 and that's meets the more likely than not standard.
But the focus has been on OD and CVS for the bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.