Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:53 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by distantarray
I never really understood why people would use bluebird to pay your mortgage... just use it to pay off your credit card bill it's all the same imo....

$1,008 credit card purchase = $1,000 credit card payment = 1008 points for $8

If you use it to pay your mortgage

$1,008 to pay $1,000 mortgage then to pay off your credit card you'll need to use a check or billpay option from your bank account to pay off your credit card.... in the end I don't really see how there's really much benefits by using ice cream to pay your mortgage.

It just creates more hassles like stated earlier, its much more straight forward with card > amex gift card > williamspaid imo
Paying mortgage using BB is to change the payment method from Check to Credit Card indirectly, which I am more comfortable with. Paying CC using BB (especially the bill that uses to buy VR) sounds like ... (I understand it is legal but I think that goes too far IMO)

BTW, I don't understand how much more hassle to use BB to pay mortgage. I have to use bill pay option to pay off my credit cards since I don't use it for VR only.

Slow and Gentle, and I believe this game can hang on a bit longer. (Well, it will be dead some time anyways)
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by pat_pat_tong
Paying mortgage using BB is to change the payment method from Check to Credit Card indirectly, which I am more comfortable with. Paying CC using BB (especially the bill that uses to buy VR) sounds like ... (I understand it is legal but I think that goes too far IMO)

BTW, I don't understand how much more hassle to use BB to pay mortgage. I have to use bill pay option to pay off my credit cards since I don't use it for VR only.

Slow and Gentle, and I believe this game can hang on a bit longer. (Well, it will be dead some time anyways)
Yeah, my thought has been that I have to pay both my mortgage and my credit card bill. It's just as easy to pay one than the other with BB. If I'm only going to do one, I'd rather it be the mortgage. For all we know, Amex/WM doesn't give a crap about either, but one definitely seems a bit safer. I would, for example, definitely pay my mortgage with BB bill pay before I'd ever pay an Amex credit card bill with it. That to me is a big no-no, for no reason other than it feels risky.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:00 pm

I was able to use my previous CVS "use alternate tender card" AMEX card for 1 VR $500 purchase on the 5th. I went today and got the "use alternate tender" message again on my AMEX. I called CVS Customer Care today to see what the deal is. Hoping they can tell me why they keep locking up my card. They said it could be a week to find the answer...
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Hilbe
I was able to use my previous CVS "use alternate tender card" AMEX card for 1 VR $500 purchase on the 5th. I went today and got the "use alternate tender" message again on my AMEX. I called CVS Customer Care today to see what the deal is. Hoping they can tell me why they keep locking up my card. They said it could be a week to find the answer...
NEVER CALL.

(where's the facepalm smiley when you need it?)
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Do not call. Ever. This is a rule, and there are no exceptions.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
People do not read, do they....
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:25 pm

How is CVS customer care going to help you? Why would you even call them? Call your card issuer !

If this is a AMEX GC bought at store (like OD), it takes an hour before they can be used. If it is normal AMEX, call them. They are rejecting your transaction.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:39 pm

What is the biggest payments you guys send with BB? I usually load up the account with $1,000, pay 1 or 2 regular bills ranging from $100 to $500 and then use rest to pay CC off. Max I've sent to pay CC is $700. Do any of you just straight up send $1000 or more to pay CC off without scheduling any regular bills?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cronin85
What is the biggest payments you guys send with BB? I usually load up the account with $1,000, pay 1 or 2 regular bills ranging from $100 to $500 and then use rest to pay CC off. Max I've sent to pay CC is $700. Do any of you just straight up send $1000 or more to pay CC off without scheduling any regular bills?
Way above $1K but always after testing the set up working by sending a $3 to $5 payment first.

Common sense tells you to test the mechanism first before sending any meaningful amount because even yourself could have made a typo when setting up the payee account... just sayin.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Way above $1K but always after testing the set up working by sending a $3 to $5 payment first.

Common sense tells you to test the mechanism first before sending any meaningful amount.
Yea, I usually send a low amount test payment to each credit card before I send any big payment.

I'll start sending more than my current $700 threshold then. Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:45 pm

I do. I usually just pay the entire bill for the card that was used to purchase the VR. No problems so far.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
People do not read, do they....
They don't read because they're too busy calling.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
Originally Posted by Alobi
I do. I usually just pay the entire bill for the card that was used to purchase the VR. No problems so far.
I DID 1300 and it was received by citi in 3 days
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
just pennies under 4k it posted as usual
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
even the bloggers who post circles and arrows dont call to have the program looked into

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.