Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Dumb question, but when you use a gift card purchased from the paper clip store to buy ice cream, on the checkout screen do you select credit, gift card, or debit? Thus far my ice cream has been a normal CC purchase but looking to change that up.
The secret-coding train left the station several months ago...and never was doing any good anyway.

Are you asking about buying Vanilla Reload cards at CVS using gift cards bought from Office Depot? If so that question has come up in this thread at least a couple of times as I recall.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:07 pm

Dumb question, but when you use a gift card purchased from the paper clip store to buy ice cream, on the checkout screen do you select credit, gift card, or debit? Thus far my ice cream has been a normal CC purchase but looking to change that up.
Credit.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I appreciate the OP's efforts to code this stuff, but I think that's more for the Trick It thread

I think abbreviations have been more mainstream here.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
After ~10 days, InComm resolved my missing PIN VRs and gave me 2 fresh codes. I was able to load them to BB. for the experience but ^ for the resolution.

For anyone in ATL, practice caution buying VRs. If you see anything funky with the silver strip, anything out of the ordinary, don't bother buying it. If you do get burned by a faulty VR, feel free to PM me for any advice on how to proceed.

Last edited by amolkold; Feb 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:00 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I found 2 more CVS's that in the past did not have VRs and now have racks full of them. Was able to use 3 of the GCs I bought yesterday from OD to buy them.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
I found 2 more CVS's that in the past did not have VRs and now have racks full of them. Was able to use 3 of the GCs I bought yesterday from OD to buy them.
Just saying, posts like this are why this thread is so bloated with useless posts.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Just saying, posts like this are why this thread is so bloated with useless posts.
And let's not forget my perennial favorite: posts debating whether all of these products are profitable, and if so, for whom. Followed by DYKWIAM posts about people who claim to have inside information on these types of arrangements between retailers and financial services companies, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
And let's not forget my perennial favorite: posts debating whether all of these products are profitable, and if so, for whom. Followed by DYKWIAM posts about people who claim to have inside information on these types of arrangements between retailers and financial services companies, etc.
Then the thread would be like 40 posts long. Okay, I guess we are all guilty of some of these .

But seriously ... no need to post that you found a CVS with VRs and were able to buy. A CVS ran out and then restocked? Not really noteworthy, it's kind of how these retailers operate.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
And let's not forget my perennial favorite: posts debating whether all of these products are profitable, and if so, for whom.
Yup, I think some of that is folks not wanting something to end so they want to argue how profitable it must be as a reason why it won't end. The mint is getting rich off the coins. Office Depot must be making money off the VR cards. Office Depot is making money off of the gift cards. Why would a company stop doing something that makes them money?

So I would like to add:
CVS is making money hand over fist with these VR cards. They must be! Think of all the extra customers this is bringing in. I usually get a candy bar or chips with my 2K of VR. I never used to buy candy bars or chips at CVS. This will never end since it is so profitable for CVS.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Then the thread would be like 40 posts long. Okay, I guess we are all guilty of some of these .

But seriously ... no need to post that you found a CVS with VRs and were able to buy. A CVS ran out and then restocked? Not really noteworthy, it's kind of how these retailers operate.
I actually find this post to be rather helpful. It helps illustrate that CVS is continuing to expand the availability of VR. Now, I agree with you as to those posts merely saying "picked up 2 at CVS in X city," but Dad to GO's post was different than these posts in an important way.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:06 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
The secret-coding train left the station several months ago...and never was doing any good anyway.

Are you asking about buying Vanilla Reload cards at CVS using gift cards bought from Office Depot? If so that question has come up in this thread at least a couple of times as I recall.
It probably did, but I'm not one to ruin deals, so I prefer to code as much as possible. Then again, in a forum called "Manufactured Spending" that probably isn't really necessary anymore either. Looks like ddallas answered my question for me. I'm sure it has been asked before, and even though I tend to keep up with this thread I couldn't find it in a search. Thanks all for the help!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:12 am

Just want to add that I've recently experienced that most all CVS cashiers in my area (across multiple stores) are asking for ID. If you are using a regular CC this is no problem, but if the card doesn't have your name on it (like a GC) they will decline the sale.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA/CO, HHonors
Originally Posted by Happy
Check it tomorrow and you will see it is posted with the date being 2/4.
Same thing happened to me on a Citi payment. Posted the next day.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:24 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Maybe I should've been more specific... A CVS that has never sold them for the past 6 months (and had said they weren't going to carry them) now has them... I have no clue if it has to do with the District Manager at a location but it is the same person at both of these. It could just possibly be that it took them forever to get them. I was just pointing out that there are still plenty of VRs out there and they are still expanding the sale of them.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:36 pm

BlueBird is on my HITLIST for their bill pay feature. My mortgage payment is nowhere to be found!! BOA states they haven't received anything and BB states that everything has been receipted and cashed. The kicker is that BB CANNOT provide any proof on their system that this is the case. I've performed two other bill pays in the same manner as this one and they went through without a problem.

Anyone else have issues with the bill pay system and BOA? BB is now wanting me to dispute the charge which can take 6-8 weeks to process through.

What confuses me is that one rep (manager) stated that the payment was sent EFT which their Boss states is MUST be a check because I manually entered the address and account info. Which is what I did with the other two payments and they process within two days (what is stated when it is a confirm carrier).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.