Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: LOL, ROFL & ...
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Instead of simply giving another as I'd normally do (and still want to in truth, and I would do the same if I met you in person, so don't think I'm simply hiding behind a computer), I will attempt to explain why this community does not view that as a good idea.

You have told CVS, in effect, that you are buying VRs on multiple occasions weekly. On some of these occasions, your card is not being accepted. What you have done is gotten a human, someone in CVS corporate, involved. Everything of this nature is done with as little human involvement as possible from the party involved (in this case CVS). Human involvement, in the past, has not ended well. You have alerted CVS that you are buying multiple VRs weekly with a CC. CVS may not know that the same person is purchasing multiple VRs weekly, but now they know at least one person is attempting to do this, and have a record of a conversation with this person.

What they may decide is that this is not something they want to have happening. You've also caused a human, who gets paid money, to look at this issue. This increases the costs to CVS of selling VRs, and accepting CCs for said purchase. There is a point where accepting CC for VRs will not make sense for CVS; both its other large red pharmacy counterpart and Office Depot have decided that accepting CC for VRs does not make sense. In OD's case, they have stopped selling VRs completely, and have recently done away with all higher value gift cards.

You feel that the solution to your issue that CVS will give you is "fixing" whatever problem is preventing you from purchasing VRs in the rapid succession that you are. This community fears that the solution may instead be to stop carrying VRs or to limit CC purchase. This has happened in the past, and will happen in the future. Whether it will happen here is unsure as always until widespread reports come flowing in (as the first person to report here that OD stopped carrying VRs I know that all too well, and I found out the hard way by driving 25 miles to my closest OD).

With all of these, there will be problems that arise. The best course of action is to wait, be patient, and try again later. Calling risks blowing it up for everyone, most particularly yourself. We cannot prevent you from calling, so if you called, and it somehow led directly to this shutting down, we cannot have prevented that. However, you could have.
Very well done. ^ This should end up in a manufacturing spend FAQ/bible.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Hilbe
The lady in CS on the phone was immediately able to see my purchase history on my credit card after I gave her the #.

The problem is not my card. I use it everywhere without issues since it is my primary card. The problem is with CVS. I have about 5 or 6 CVS within 5 minutes of my house. All of them will "alternate tender" me on that card. As mentioned, other users in this thread have the exact issue with certain cards at CVS giving the "alternate tender" message. Nobody has posted a "I'm able to use it again" post that I recall.

I have probably bought 4 or 5 VR on this card total since November, mostly due to the message in their system. It's not going to set off any alarms since I have been using the Chase, Citi, etc. cards instead. However, it's my biggest reward card and tied to a lot of payments online, so I would prefer they get it fixed.
I understand they can "see" the history of your card use, but what good does that do as far as delving into the technical issues with either your card or their system? That would probably require a lot more time and effort than they're likely to expend for one caller.

In any case, sometimes certain plays in the game don't work, or don't always work - drawing attention to it by calling, even if it solves the particular issue at the moment, increases the risk of accelerating the demise. Win the battle, lose the war...hence, the adage to "never call".
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
bought a bean w/ spg amex no problem today--about 10-12 left in one of busier places in downtown area of san diego cvs. I have found my biggest issue being the amex people calling me/rejecting the charge due to what they think is fraud (its not). never have had a cvs issue w/ alt tender etc
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:54 pm

This is getting annoying. I've been to like 10 CVSs this past 3 weeks and the only VR I found was a rogue one that came out of nowhere at my local store. I purchased it and all was good, but what the hell, I've been going to that store daily for other things and always had my eye on the gift card rack, and suddenly there is only 1.

What is going on in NYC? None of the CVS have any VR, and why the hell was there only 1 card out of nowhere?

its annoying because the green beans are easy to get and everyone is saying the opposite...

or am I looking in the wrong spot? I dont see them by the cashiers, on the sides where they usually have nail clippers or lighters and stuff, do I need to ask the cashier and she pops it up from between her crotch or what?

PM me if anything...
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by killercut
This is getting annoying. I've been to like 10 CVSs this past 3 weeks and the only VR I found was a rogue one that came out of nowhere at my local store. I purchased it and all was good, but what the hell, I've been going to that store daily for other things and always had my eye on the gift card rack, and suddenly there is only 1.

What is going on in NYC? None of the CVS have any VR, and why the hell was there only 1 card out of nowhere?

its annoying because the green beans are easy to get and everyone is saying the opposite...
Keep looking. I found a stack of 50 VRs in plain sight in a Manhattan CVS last week. No, I won't say where. I did the legwork (it was the 5th one I checked that day).
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Keep looking. I found a stack of 50 VRs in plain sight in a Manhattan CVS last week. No, I won't say where. I did the legwork (it was the 5th one I checked that day).
Remember that NYC is filled with miles and points crazies. BOS, NYC, and SFO are likely the highest concentrations of crazies.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:47 pm

Remember that NYC is filled with miles and points crazies. BOS, NYC, and SFO are likely the highest concentrations of crazies.
Smaller towns are getting hit too. Buying one VR yesterday I was asked "why everyone is buying these things?". He went on to say he is sure there is some "money laundering" going on and he "called his district manager the day before to alert him to all the traffic".
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by TravelScrounger
Smaller towns are getting hit too. Buying one VR yesterday I was asked "why everyone is buying these things?". He went on to say he is sure there is some "money laundering" going on and he "called his district manager the day before to alert him to all the traffic".
Shouldn't he have called the police on you then?

Why do people have to be the hero, so annoying when a cashier tries to be a hero like that. "Look ma, I caught those money launderin fools!"
Everybody wants to be a Cardinal.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by killercut
This is getting annoying. I've been to like 10 CVSs this past 3 weeks and the only VR I found was a rogue one that came out of nowhere at my local store.
The demand is surpassing the supply chain in some areas. I'm running into empty racks for VR too. More folks in the game now.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
I have never used BB, so forgive if this is a bad question. We have 2 car loans at BoA. Would it be okay to load beans on BB and then walk into BoA and swipe my BB card for the loan payments (that way I'm sure no payment is lost)?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Shouldn't he have called the police on you then?

Why do people have to be the hero, so annoying when a cashier tries to be a hero like that. "Look ma, I caught those money launderin fools!"
Everybody wants to be a Cardinal.
That clerk probably figures he'll get the Employee of the Year award, which will totally impress the chicks in his trailer park.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:50 pm

Yes, it'd work if BoA takes debit card for payment.

You could also just use BB's bill payment feature to pay the car loans, it is quite reliable, you can test it out with a smaller amount, e.g. $5 to see how it works.

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
I have never used BB, so forgive if this is a bad question. We have 2 car loans at BoA. Would it be okay to load beans on BB and then walk into BoA and swipe my BB card for the loan payments (that way I'm sure no payment is lost)?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:06 pm

Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:30 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I'm surprised of all the reports of slow payments, admittedly mine is a small sample size, but I've paid four companies now, Franklin American Mortgage, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Macy's Charge Card, and Discover Card, and all four posted on the day promised, which was the second business day after I requested payment from BlueBird.

In the case of Pentage Federal I have two car loans, and I had set up the payee for the first manually before realizing they were on the list, and even the one I set manually was converted automatically to an electronic payment and was received by them on the second business day after I sent payment.

I guess my point is to those reading this thread to remember that sometimes what you read on the internet is heavily weighted towards bad outcomes, i.e., those having issues are much more likely to be posting than those who are having a smooth experience.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Beckles
I'm surprised of all the reports of slow payments, admittedly mine is a small sample size, but I've paid four companies now, Franklin American Mortgage, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Macy's Charge Card, and Discover Card, and all four posted on the day promised, which was the second business day after I requested payment from BlueBird.

In the case of Pentage Federal I have two car loans, and I had set up the payee for the first manually before realizing they were on the list, and even the one I set manually was converted automatically to an electronic payment and was received by them on the second business day after I sent payment.

I guess my point is to those reading this thread to remember that sometimes what you read on the internet is heavily weighted towards bad outcomes, i.e., those having issues are much more likely to be posting than those who are having a smooth experience.
+1. I use BB to pay my mortgage, car payment, gas and electric bills, and insurance premiums. No problems at all. If you use a bill pay feature through a bank or credit union, BB should not present any additional difficulties. But you must be precise in the information that you load into BB's payment database.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.