Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
This weekend I purchased two cards from my local CVS. No issues with paying with CC, but the clerk indicated that each card needs to be handled as a separate payment (with the same CC).

Didn't really matter to me as everything worked fine, I was just surprised that they wanted to charge is as separate transactions. Anyone else ran into a similar situation? Is this some new policy or just in this one location?
Did you load both with $500? I've had some clerks interpret the $1000 per transaction as including the $3.95 fee (which put me over $1k) - so I split the transaction into 2.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azcoyote
Did you load both with $500? I've had some clerks interpret the $1000 per transaction as including the $3.95 fee (which put me over $1k) - so I split the transaction into 2.
Yes, $500 each. There was no mention from the clerk that the reason for the separate transaction is due to the limit. He just said the he needs to run it separately and since I didn't particularly care I didn't inquire any further.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Just went into a different CVS tonight that I frequent occasionally not expecting to find any cards as I haven't had luck of late. Well I found the holy grail. Not only one little rack of cards but four racks full of cards. Must have been close to 75 cards! Now I know what its like to feel like a kid in the candy store again.
I love the way Washington, DC CVS stores have always had the best policy of accepting CCs for VRs and they are nearly always in stock. Just don't be too greedy and the golden goose will keep laying VR eggs.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:43 pm

Curious about all of your thoughts on this plan:

Until now, I've only been buying VRs for bills that cannot be paid with credit card. That has meant only 1-2 VRs per month. I'm thinking of increasing my VR use for points accumulation, but obviously I want to avoid too much suspicion from card issuers. I was thinking the best way to do this would be to buy 1-2 VRs per card issuer (i.e., 1-2 each on Chase, Amex, Citi, Barclay). My concern is that my Citi and Barclays cards are not highly used. I don't want VRs to be the only purchase on any given card - does anyone else force yourself to put a few other transactions on an account to make it less obvious? Has anyone been putting only VRs on their card, or close to it?

Curious what everyone else's plan, and mix of spending is.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost

Until now, I've only been buying VRs for bills that cannot be paid with credit card. That has meant only 1-2 VRs per month. I'm thinking of increasing my VR use for points accumulation, but obviously I want to avoid too much suspicion from card issuers. I was thinking the best way to do this would be to buy 1-2 VRs per card issuer (i.e., 1-2 each on Chase, Amex, Citi, Barclay). My concern is that my Citi and Barclays cards are not highly used. I don't want VRs to be the only purchase on any given card - does anyone else force yourself to put a few other transactions on an account to make it less obvious? Has anyone been putting only VRs on their card, or close to it?

From an opposing point of view, I'd like to have them see at least $3k-$4K on each of my cards each month as my typical spending. I do, however spread around my regular spend on several cards to show a mix.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite

I ONLY put VR cards on my card when I purchase them. Adding extra items is fine but has no effect whatsoever on approval. It's the total amount of the purchase that triggers a fraud alert (usually). The only card issuer that has given me any trouble trying to buy VR cards is Barclays. Stay away from using a Barclays card (US Dividend Miles MasterCard & Virgin America Visa) unless you enjoy being embarrassed at the checkout counter with a required call by the merchant to the issuer's fraud department. American Express has been the best issuer to use - never once questing my VR purchases!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:58 pm

Doesn't BB have PIN too? Or there is a difference between a debit card with pin and a pin enabled debit card?

Originally Posted by rdaven2003
You have to use a PIN enabled debt card at Winco. I use the NetSpend card and have no problems with it.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:34 pm

RDU-area people want VR?

Just found a CVS! Surprised Amex didn't block my first-time $1000 drugstore purchase.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
I ONLY put VR cards on my card when I purchase them. Adding extra items is fine but has no effect whatsoever on approval. It's the total amount of the purchase that triggers a fraud alert (usually). The only card issuer that has given me any trouble trying to buy VR cards is Barclays. Stay away from using a Barclays card (US Dividend Miles MasterCard & Virgin America Visa) unless you enjoy being embarrassed at the checkout counter with a required call by the merchant to the issuer's fraud department. American Express has been the best issuer to use - never once questing my VR purchases!
I didn't mean per transaction - I meant for the month. Ie, a card I don't use for everyday transactions.

Good to know that Barclays is more bothersome than others.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by azcoyote
From an opposing point of view, I'd like to have them see at least $3k-$4K on each of my cards each month as my typical spending. I do, however spread around my regular spend on several cards to show a mix.
You mean you put 3k-4k in total spend, relative to a couple of VR purchases, or 3-4k in VR each month so they think it is "normal" spend for you?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Sending money between BB accounts

I searched in this thread and checked Bluebird information, but I didn't see anything about the time frames associated with the "Send Money" functionality, which can be used to transfer money between two BB accounts. I also was a little surprised that the page to initiate sending money did not have an area to enter a BB account number. It seems like they use the email address to contact the recipient rather than doing anything automated or real-time. I was hoping that someone who has used this feature can provide information about the amount of time between initiating the request to send money and having the funds available in the recipient's account. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:37 pm

I've used "Send Money" between two different BB accounts two or three times and the transfer is pretty much instantaneous.

You enter the recipient's email that is linked to their BB account. Within a few seconds the recipient is emailed and said that they have been sent money.

The recipient then has to log into their own BB to claim the money that they were sent. The funds are posted and available immediately to the recipient.

This is one of the fastest and easiest functions of BB.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:38 pm

You mean you put 3k-4k in total spend, relative to a couple of VR purchases, or 3-4k in VR each month so they think it is "normal" spend for you?
I do 5k VR each month spread amongst a few cards, a little AP, and then my other spend. The VR is typically going on newer cards I'm meeting the minimum spending on.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by needtoescape
I searched in this thread and checked Bluebird information, but I didn't see anything about the time frames associated with the "Send Money" functionality, which can be used to transfer money between two BB accounts. I also was a little surprised that the page to initiate sending money did not have an area to enter a BB account number. It seems like they use the email address to contact the recipient rather than doing anything automated or real-time. I was hoping that someone who has used this feature can provide information about the amount of time between initiating the request to send money and having the funds available in the recipient's account. Thanks in advance!
I have not transferred BB to BB but, I regularly transfer Serve to BB via email and the transfer is instantaneous. Be aware the receiver has to accept the transfer.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by SGJazz
I have not transferred BB to BB but, I regularly transfer Serve to BB via email and the transfer is instantaneous. Be aware the receiver has to accept the transfer.
Yeah and don't mess up on making the transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.