Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Yeah and don't mess up on making the transfer.
Indeed
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:01 pm

Safest way to transfer money between BB accounts is to "request money" where you enter the other user's email address. The transfer of funds is instant. I've been loading my wife's card after I hit my 5K deposit limit per month.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:51 pm

Has anyone found VR in the Chicago area? I am in the near north suburbs and have tried several locations with no luck. I would love a PM with any sucesses.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by DCBob
...American Express has been the best issuer to use - never once questing my VR purchases!
I've only used AMEX for purchases @ supermarket/pharmacies. One transaction (slightly over $500) got a blocked transaction. The cashier said it was blocked by the CC company and I knew what was happening. Within 10 seconds of the transaction failing, I got an email alert from AMEX Fraud department mentioning a questionable charge was made. Within 30 seconds, in the middle of me on hold with AMEX to clear it, I got an automated call asking if I can clear the hold.

Ironically, the charges that required my approval were minor ones like lunch/dinner or other small purchases; it missed the $1,000+ CVS transaction I made 24 hours before.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Safest way to transfer money between BB accounts is to "request money" where you enter the other user's email address. The transfer of funds is instant. I've been loading my wife's card after I hit my 5K deposit limit per month.
What is the purpose for this? You cannot load more even after you transfer money to your wife's card, no?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:30 pm

I've been loading my wife's BB account and transferring her balance into my account.

edit to clarify: after I max out my 5K VR loading in my BB account each month, I load my wife's BB account, then transfer funds back to my account to pay for bills, etc with my BB account.

Last edited by yOyOYoo; Feb 24, 2013 at 10:41 pm
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by rewardsgirl
Just found a CVS! Surprised Amex didn't block my first-time $1000 drugstore purchase.
Which cvs? I used to see a lot of vr's in every cvs stores in this area but now all of them were pulled apparently.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
after I max out my 5K VR loading in my BB account each month, I load my wife's BB account, then transfer funds back to my account to pay for bills, etc with my BB account.
Why go the extra step? You can just use her BB to pay the same bills etc. you're paying with your BB.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by punjabi2
Doesn't BB have PIN too? Or there is a difference between a debit card with pin and a pin enabled debit card?
BB comes up as a credit card with a pin. WINCO will only take debt cards.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Ironically, the charges that required my approval were minor ones like lunch/dinner or other small purchases; it missed the $1,000+ CVS transaction I made 24 hours before.
It might have been because of this that the transaction was flagged. Especially if you've had the card for a while and weren't making purchases like this.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
CVS said I need Cash

Went to a CVS on late last week bought VR with CC no issues. Went back yesterday to same CVS and they said it was cash only. I said, no, I bought this with a CC a few days ago. She called manager over, who said only can load with Cash. I proceeded to pound on the counter and ask her what logic does it serve to pay cash for a VR?! She was stunned. I then grabbed her stupid red vest lapels and got in her grill, and said "Sell me these VRs with my CC or I will post on FT!" She was dumbfounded, scared, will most likely have nightmares. I then stiffed arm the original cashier out of the way as I got onto the CVS red-line and spoke to HQ and demanded they issue a store wide policy to buy beans with CC no questions asked. The operator, stuttering out of fear, said she would put me through on a conference call with Jamie Dimon, Ken Chenault, and Lare (this is what I called him) Merlo. I told them my intentions with VR and BB. After berating them, and - after making fun of Jamie's girl name - told Jamie that the London Whale would be nothing more than a mouse fart after I get through JPM. They said they would get their best minds on the situation.

I kid.

I smiled, said no thanks to the VR and then visited another red paradise and got my fill.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by explorer84
Went to a CVS on late last week bought VR with CC no issues. Went back yesterday to same CVS and they said it was cash only. I said, no, I bought this with a CC a few days ago. She called manager over, who said only can load with Cash. I proceeded to pound on the counter and ask her what logic does it serve to pay cash for a VR?! She was stunned. I then grabbed her stupid red vest lapels and got in her grill, and said "Sell me these VRs with my CC or I will post on FT!" She was dumbfounded, scared, will most likely have nightmares. I then stiffed arm the original cashier out of the way as I got onto the CVS red-line and spoke to HQ and demanded they issue a store wide policy to buy beans with CC no questions asked. The operator, stuttering out of fear, said she would put me through on a conference call with Jamie Dimon, Ken Chenault, and Lare (this is what I called him) Merlo. I told them my intentions with VR and BB. After berating them, and - after making fun of Jamie's girl name - told Jamie that the London Whale would be nothing more than a mouse fart after I get through JPM. They said they would get their best minds on the situation.

I kid.

I smiled, said no thanks to the VR and then visited another red paradise and got my fill.

CVS/BB/VR fan fiction. I love it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by explorer84

I kid.

+1 made my day
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:26 am

My local Charlie Victor Sierra has no beans. They had a whole section of reloadable debit, with MyVanilla, greendot, amex.

Connecticut stinks.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Yeah and don't mess up on making the transfer.
I did. Sent it to my personal email instead of sending it to my daughter.

I send my daughter money weekly using the transfer feature. Then I go into her account and accept the funds so she will have them to pay for things on campus.

On this particular day, I sent the money to my own email address. When going in to accept the funds for her, the 'accepantance' notice did not show up, nor was an option. Waited a few minutes, still no show......then went back to my account and seen what I had done. I simply cancelled the payment (which occurred instantly) and then resent and all was fine.

This transfer feature is great. Works like a charm. Only downside I see, is that all places around her campus do not accept AMEX, so she still has to use her other card at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.