Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
what's easiest way to cash out 3-4k from bluebird? I don't want to use amazon payments cuz no one i know has it. don't have any major checks to write. rent is $1000/mo so it'd take 3-4 months.
write check to yourself? pay bill to CC? do DD and take from ATM? come on its not hard, read the faq...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by DCBob
True. However, it has been reported elsewhere that the largest merchants (like Walmart) pay a flat 1% fee on each transaction. That would be $5 per $500 VR card. And they DO NOT get ANY discount on the actual cash that you load. If there is any breakage, it's kept by InComm. InComm ain't giving away cold, hard cash to anybody. I scoff at the idea that CVS is getting 1% of the load in addition to the $3.95 loading fee. VR cards are not like gift cards for a specific store (where the store is getting more business) or a debit card (where Amex/Visa/MasterCard generate revenue from transaction fees). So CVS does lose on every purchase over $395.00. Now, I assume they figured that the loss would be made up with other in-store purchases generated by the sale of VR cards. Maybe.
Got it.

CVS:
This potential "loss leader" situation could lead some zealous store managers to restrict access to the reload cards, I would imagine.

Vanilla:
Their main business. They take any GC breakage. They are happy to sell more.

BB:
Amex is making major push into the prepaid. Merchant discounts and keeping our money (without FDIC dues) interest free. Will get breakages on BB as well.

All seem to line up for this deal to go on for a while. Right?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jeckll
I have never heard this before. Can you elaborate? All my credit reports show perfect credit history and I pay on the due date every month, max 1 day early.
I honestly believe that was pure speculation. I do the same as you and have a very high credit score. How far before the due date the payment is received appears to be totally irrelevant.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Never mind.

Last edited by geclub1; Jan 16, 2013 at 9:32 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by jeckll:20063501
Originally Posted by Happy
preferable NOT on the due date but a week to 10 days earlier. That is how a good payment history is made.
I have never heard this before. Can you elaborate? All my credit reports show perfect credit history and I pay on the due date every month, max 1 day early.
I'd like to see a source on this too. I have never heard of this before.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stealph
I'd like to see a source on this too. I have never heard of this before.
I believe-and I am speculating-this is a coincidental conclusion re: the percentage of credit line usage is a part of your credit score, and by paying it early you cut down on the chance that your balance will be a high percentage of your available credit when the info is transmitted to the credit bureaus.
In other words, if you pay 10 days early that's 10 days of potential 0% credit usage vs. a potentially large percentage.

Last edited by member7777; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Had an interesting thing happen to me:

was buying $481.05 VR at CeeVeeeSS with $480 WM GC (I thought the GC is for $485). The register took the GC and instead of denying the transaction just asked for $5 additional payment. Never thought register would communicate with the GC issuer to the point of knowing the balance...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk
Had an interesting thing happen to me:

was buying $481.05 VR at CeeVeeeSS with $480 WM GC (I thought the GC is for $485). The register took the GC and instead of denying the transaction just asked for $5 additional payment. Never thought register would communicate with the GC issuer to the point of knowing the balance...
This happens at all big box stores and national chains. If you spend $100 at target, you can pay with 10 gift cards of $10 each and the cash register will deduct $10 after each swipe.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by jeckll
This happens at all big box stores and national chains. If you spend $100 at target, you can pay with 10 gift cards of $10 each and the cash register will deduct $10 after each swipe.
Right, paying at Target with Target GC... But this was a drug store and visa gift card ran as Credit...

Anyway, just thought this was interesting, plus I can still get VR with GC
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:11 pm

uh, what exactly is a breakage?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
uh, what exactly is a breakage?
I believe it is the amount on a GC that is never used. IMO, this is much more applicable to GC than it is to "loadable" cards such as VR as VR are meant to load a prepaid card that can be used just like a debit card. It's not hard to use up all the money on a prepaid card. Maybe InComm makes some "breakage" money in the form of small denomination VR (i.e. loading <100) that never gets loaded to some other card. It's hard for me to imagine this happening often enough for InComm to count on as a profit driver.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 pm

Could I fund my Vanguard IRA with Bluebird? I need to mail a check with my account number to:

The Vanguard Group
PO box 1110
valley Forge, PA
19482-1110

If yes, how? I tried navigating around BB website..

Cheers-
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by ual902
Could I fund my Vanguard IRA with Bluebird? I need to mail a check with my account number to:

The Vanguard Group
PO box 1110
valley Forge, PA
19482-1110

If yes, how? I tried navigating around BB website..

Cheers-
add payee manually
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk
Right, paying at Target with Target GC... But this was a drug store and visa gift card ran as Credit...

Anyway, just thought this was interesting, plus I can still get VR with GC
No, I was describing paying at Target with MC, VISA, AMEX gc. Same with Walmart, CVS, WG, grocery, etc. Nothing new.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by member7777
In other words, if you pay 10 days early that's 10 days of potential 0% credit usage vs. a potentially large percentage.
Except that most issuers report whatever is on the statement itself as the balance. (One notable exception is US Bank which apparently sends the balance from the 1st of the month, according to anecdotes on myfico)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.