Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fangtl
How many BB accounts do these people have? If this continues I can't see this gravy train staying alive for much longer.
BB not (necessarily) a part of the chain
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by DCBob
Drugstores is not a bonus category that is a constant feature of any rewards credit card (other than Amex HH), and I have done a ton of research on this question. There are a few cards with rotating bonus categories on a quarter-by-quarter or targeted basis, however, and sometimes drugstores are included.

Your best bet is to find a gas station that sells VR cards and take advantage of the gas station bonus category, which is a feature of several cards, including the United MileagePlus Select Visa card. Since you are lucky enough to live in Minnesota, you already know you can find them at SuperAmerica. Holiday also sells them, but limits CCs to $100 per load. Valero is also supposed to carry them, but they don't in my area (Washington, DC).
I do not live in Minnesota, so no superamerica gas stations here, and in fact no VRs available at all via credit card within hundreds of miles now that all nearby WGs have gone cash-only. For me, VRs are quite dead.

I do have SPG and some points there.

Will be jumping in to the major hotel cards soon, guess I'll just have to live without those golden eggs. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:32 am

I found an interesting pdf hosted by Incomm (the VR guys).
http://incommpartneralliance.com/Pre...ng_Program.pdf

Specifically, this quote on page 10.
"• What is Suspicious Activity?
– Transactions involving stored value of $2,000 or more, and
considered suspicious."
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rajin
I found an interesting pdf hosted by Incomm (the VR guys).
http://incommpartneralliance.com/Pre...ng_Program.pdf

Specifically, this quote on page 10.
"• What is Suspicious Activity?
– Transactions involving stored value of $2,000 or more, and
considered suspicious."
I can see the headline now-
"Office Depot gift card churner indicted for suspicious activity."
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:28 am

Put me in this group ..... I got some missing digitz as well. should we consider publishing the stores number/location so our FT member can avoid them? should we split these post into saparate thread so its easier for others to search and help.

I am waiting for resolution as well

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
I have received PMs from four people on FT that have also purchased fraudulent VRs at CVS stores in Atlanta. A couple folks were able to have the cards blocked before the thieves took the $$, but a couple others have been robbed, like I was.

I am not very optimistic about InComm's handling of this anymore since one person told me that InComm asked them to file a police report -- no way in hell am I doing this, since I consider the money stolen from InComm / CVS, not me. In addition, I am appalled that one FTer bought fraudulent VRs at the SAME CVS STORE IN ATLANTA TWO DAYS AFTER I filed my claim with InComm! I wrongly assumed that InComm would contact the store and have them pull the remaining cards. Apparently not. It sounds like they don't really care...

So far I have no resolution from InComm, but I plan on pressing them hard, beginning today. I'll report back when I get an update.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by koolr
I like One Vanilla as it does not say "Gift Card" on the card so no issues using it at the drug stores.
Just get the "Happy Birthday" card, like I do
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Artemk
Just get the "Happy Birthday" card, like I do
That is genius, thank you very much.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sparkzone
Put me in this group ..... I got some missing digitz as well. should we consider publishing the stores number/location so our FT member can avoid them? should we split these post into saparate thread so its easier for others to search and help.

Please start a stickied separate thread please, that would be great
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by sparkzone
Put me in this group ..... I got some missing digitz as well. should we consider publishing the stores number/location so our FT member can avoid them? should we split these post into separate thread so its easier for others to search and help.

Wow, that is crazy...not sure how they got past the scratch off. I know I'd like to know the store # so I can avoid it at all costs. (I sometimes travel in the ATL area) Worse case, I wonder if you can get reimbursed from your CC company due to thieft.

Let us know if you guys start a thread..would like to follow.

Last edited by stealph; Jan 16, 2013 at 9:42 am Reason: o
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by stealph
Wow, that is crazy...not sure how they got past the scratch off. I know I'd like to know the store # so I can avoid it at all costs. (I sometimes travel in the ATL area) Worse case, I wonder if you can get reimbursed from your CC company due to thieft.

Let us know if you guys start a thread..would like to follow.
Same here. I live and buy VRs in the Atlanta area, and would hate to fall victim to this scam. Was there any evidence visible on the card that it was a fraud and/or tampered with?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:50 am
Suspended

Moderator=
Please start a stickied thread posting locations where tampered VR were purchased.
thank you
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:01 am

That's insane. I'm surprised it hasn't happened in Miami where I am. We've got all kinds of fraud here.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by taliesin
A single $3k transaction is more likely to draw the notice of the store's manager, and if he's truly not aware of the economics of the VR cards, prompt him to consider shutting it down. Most likely, however, he already is aware so it makes no difference.
The thing that will be bugging the store manager is the endless number of folks coming in and asking "are the Vanilla Reloads back in stock"?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Isn't it a spectacular feeling when you find a store selling VR after spending a morning visiting all sorts of places? I thought the jig was up for me, but a certain drug store mere blocks from my office is fully stocked with beans... SCORE!!!

(sorry to brag here, but no one else understands me)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:12 am

My daughter asked me on the way to school "when we getting more beans"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.