Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by dctech
I am working to move the majority of my cash recycling activities away from my normal bank. It makes it easier when it is all moving through accounts that I don't use for everyday spend.

It is annoying to try to figure out how much "real" money I have in my bank accounts when I am constantly making large deposits and holding on to $xx,000's of dollars of the CC companies cash. If it is all cycling between the CC > VR/AP > BB > CC, then I don't need to try and sort it out from my normal household budget.
I know the feeling. I dont even have "real" spend anymore that doesn't come from a gc or prepaid. My bank accounts never touch anything "real".
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: UR(ink bold; Freedom), Skymiles Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold)
Originally Posted by Hilbe
I think it has something to do with a per credit card limit in the CVS system. Since you're using OD pp cards, you have a different # on each purchase. After about 3 or 4 VR purchases on the same card, it *appears* to lock you out of using that card at CVS for some period of time. I have been using my AMEX and got about 4 in a month timeframe before CVS registers say "select another form of payment". I can however use another card while my AMEX is hosed. I will experiment more with this once my Citi Card 5% activates. There are *plenty* of VR cards here in the Indianapolis area. Every CVS I visit has 30+.
Shhhhhh, our little Indy secret! So far Im 2 out of 4 on SeeVeeEss' in our area that allow CC payment for beans
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:17 pm

Don't you also need to separate out your "real" CC expenses from the "other" expense? Using separate bank accounts is easy, but having separate CC exclusively for "other" expense is probably not a good idea unless you have very diversified "other" expenses.

Originally Posted by dctech
I am working to move the majority of my cash recycling activities away from my normal bank. It makes it easier when it is all moving through accounts that I don't use for everyday spend.

It is annoying to try to figure out how much "real" money I have in my bank accounts when I am constantly making large deposits and holding on to $xx,000's of dollars of the CC companies cash. If it is all cycling between the CC > VR/AP > BB > CC, then I don't need to try and sort it out from my normal household budget.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Went to a CVS today that had 1 VR left on the rack. When I tried to buy it, the cashier's register showed her a dialog box saying cash/debit only. Most Walgreen's has been doing this for a while, but this was my first time encountering it at a CVS.
I had that happen to me at my go-to location last night. Have bought several before then with GC's. Said thanks and left.

Went back this morning to try again with the morning shift at the same store and had no problem.

I have a feeling it's a matter of what keys the cashier presses as they are ringing you up. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that if they press a "Cash" key then that error will pop up.

I find it interesting that after I swipe the GC the screen asks for payment type. I always press Credit with a GC, and then hand the cashier my GC so that they can enter the last four digits. I then sign on the screen, ask for a bag, then go.

Today at a different store I actually had the manager ring me up. She was quite nice and said that she thought GC's could not be used. I said I have used them, so she said alright, let's do it. Rang them up nice and easy. Same dance: swipe, press credit, hand card to cashier, sign, bag, go.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:20 pm

Went into OD today and they have 20 reloads out for sale! Then I find out they put them out by accident
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
I had that happen to me at my go-to location last night. Have bought several before then with GC's. Said thanks and left.

Went back this morning to try again with the morning shift at the same store and had no problem.

I have a feeling it's a matter of what keys the cashier presses as they are ringing you up. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that if they press a "Cash" key then that error will pop up.

I find it interesting that after I swipe the GC the screen asks for payment type. I always press Credit with a GC, and then hand the cashier my GC so that they can enter the last four digits. I then sign on the screen, ask for a bag, then go.

Today at a different store I actually had the manager ring me up. She was quite nice and said that she thought GC's could not be used. I said I have used them, so she said alright, let's do it. Rang them up nice and easy. Same dance: swipe, press credit, hand card to cashier, sign, bag, go.
I was attempting to pay by credit, not GC, on this trip. I don't know if the computer would have let it through, because I couldn't get the cashier to try running it in spite of the dialog box. :/
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:46 pm

How long does it normally take for funds to be available on a Visa GC bought from OD? Back of the card package says "up to 24 hours" so I didn't even try them at and Wags by me yet.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by Superorb
How long does it normally take for funds to be available on a Visa GC bought from OD? Back of the card package says "up to 24 hours" so I didn't even try them at and Wags by me yet.
Your guess is just as good as anybody else.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Superorb
I've never had a problem buying a Vanilla Visa GC at OD, then driving 5 minutes to the CVS where my VRs are hided and cashing out right there - I try to do the entire deal in under 20 minutes if possible.

A couple curious CVS clerks aside, my biggest challenge to date has been getting out of the CVS without an armful of chocolates to munch while loading my cards into BB. I should probably buy the chocolates at OD, at least I'd earn 5x points on them.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've never had a problem buying a Vanilla Visa GC at OD, then driving 5 minutes to the CVS where my VRs are hided and cashing out right there - I try to do the entire deal in under 20 minutes if possible.

A couple curious CVS clerks aside, my biggest challenge to date has been getting out of the CVS without an armful of chocolates to munch while loading my cards into BB. I should probably buy the chocolates at OD, at least I'd earn 5x points on them.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by DCBob
Just remember your Bluebird account is NOT insured by the FDIC, unlike your normal bank's checking account. That's why Federal employees and retirees cannot set up direct deposit of their salary or retirement payments to a Bluebird account.
For me the money moves in and out of my BB accounts pretty darn fast. My balances there usually stay <$1000. - yes I know BB might not like the high throughput/low average balance from a profitability standpoint, but I would rather have happy CC companies with low utilization on my accounts.

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
Don't you also need to separate out your "real" CC expenses from the "other" expense? Using separate bank accounts is easy, but having separate CC exclusively for "other" expense is probably not a good idea unless you have very diversified "other" expenses.
It is pretty easy as long as your normal spend is kept on your (primary) and perhaps your SO's (authorized user) cards, and all of the "extra" stuff is done by all of your friends and family's AU cards. Most CC companies have the capability to sort transactions by card number, so that makes keeping an overview possible though not a seamless solution. Sometimes the only way to get this breakdown is to export to .csv or similar.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Went to a CVS today that had 1 VR left on the rack. When I tried to buy it, the cashier's register showed her a dialog box saying cash/debit only. Most Walgreen's has been doing this for a while, but this was my first time encountering it at a CVS.
Walgreens accepts DEBIT cards? That's news to me. I thought it was cash only at nearly all of them.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
unfortunately for me, i purchased the VR and then signed into my account and then saw the 5% offer, which requires an opt-in for it to take effect (in 2 business days).
Seems there might be another opportunity?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen

My guilty pleasure is the CVS licorice all sorts.

No problem with buying beans yesterday, every store I visited had lots on the rack.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tonyflyer
I keep the cash float separate at this point too.

I co-mingle credit card use. All of my CCs are autopay to pay in full on due date. A few days before the due date, I make a special payment from bb or the cash holding banking account for the appropriate amount (off by a little bit). My autopay debit is automatically reduced by the credit card company.

It all works pretty easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.