Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Down in Tampa this week, plenty of beans down here.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
This is going to be ymmv, I just did 14 VRs tonight using pp cards from OD in OH. Was the 2nd CVS I tried, first was wiped out. I'm assuming that they allowed it too since I doubt cash buyers got them all.
I think it has something to do with a per credit card limit in the CVS system. Since you're using OD pp cards, you have a different # on each purchase. After about 3 or 4 VR purchases on the same card, it *appears* to lock you out of using that card at CVS for some period of time. I have been using my AMEX and got about 4 in a month timeframe before CVS registers say "select another form of payment". I can however use another card while my AMEX is hosed. I will experiment more with this once my Citi Card 5% activates. There are *plenty* of VR cards here in the Indianapolis area. Every CVS I visit has 30+.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Hilbe
After about 3 or 4 VR purchases on the same card, it *appears* to lock you out of using that card at CVS for some period of time.
Is this per unique pharmacy or on a national level? I've only done 2 last month and 1 this month, but all of them at different stores.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by vacaloca
Is this per unique pharmacy or on a national level? I've only done 2 last month and 1 this month, but all of them at different stores.
At least regional, probably national. I have 4 CVS within 5 minutes of me. Once I locked my AMEX card up at CVS, none of the CVS in the area would take it on different days.

I looked it up, I did 3 on my AMEX before the CVS stopped taking it. However, I have done 4 on my VISA.

It may be a limit per day/week/month, but I'm not certain yet. I'm guessing CVS's system flags cards as possible fraud?

I'm going to be trying the Citi card soon, so I'll try to hit the $300 reward max.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:49 am

At least regional, probably national. I have 4 CVS within 5 minutes of me. Once I locked my AMEX card up at CVS, none of the CVS in the area would take it on different days.

I looked it up, I did 3 on my AMEX before the CVS stopped taking it. However, I have done 4 on my VISA.

It may be a limit per day/week/month, but I'm not certain yet. I'm guessing CVS's system flags cards as possible fraud?

I'm going to be trying the Citi card soon, so I'll try to hit the $300 reward max.
why didnt you spread it over multiple credit cards? i bought 4 VRs with 4 different credit cards.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:54 am

are you sure it is blocked by CVS, not the credit company?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:17 am

I think it has something to do with a per credit card limit in the CVS system. Since you're using OD pp cards, you have a different # on each purchase. After about 3 or 4 VR purchases on the same card, it *appears* to lock you out of using that card at CVS for some period of time. I have been using my AMEX and got about 4 in a month timeframe before CVS registers say "select another form of payment". I can however use another card while my AMEX is hosed. I will experiment more with this once my Citi Card 5% activates. There are *plenty* of VR cards here in the Indianapolis area. Every CVS I visit has 30+.
Once it happened to me "select another form of payment" I asked to run it again, it worked.....(or go to other cashier/store.) Once cashier was asked to call for authorization, I was in a hurry canceled the payment and used other card, few days later used again, it went through....

Last edited by prasha11; Jan 6, 2013 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:33 am

So for what its worth. I went to Walgreens to get a vanilla reload card and when the cashier rang up the card the register told her that its cash only for the vanilla reload. I found another CVS that had no issues selling me a $500 card using my Chase Freedom card.

Also Citi Dividend is giving 5% cash back as well for drug store purchases. So after maxing out the Chase Freedom moving onto Citi Dividend next.

Last edited by Polo2883; Jan 6, 2013 at 10:58 am
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Polo2883
Also Citi Dividend is giving 5% cash back as well for drug store purchases. So after maxing out the Chase Freedom moving onto Citi Dividend next.
unfortunately for me, i purchased the VR and then signed into my account and then saw the 5% offer, which requires an opt-in for it to take effect (in 2 business days).
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
unfortunately for me, i purchased the VR and then signed into my account and then saw the 5% offer, which requires an opt-in for it to take effect (in 2 business days).
no worries you got 3 months to take advantage of 3 cards to max it out, and yea it's all YMMV cause I was able to use gift cards from Christmas to buy reloads
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:52 am

http://moneymorning.com/2012/11/09/t...luebird-cards/

So, why are American Express and Wal-Mart partnering to offer free prepaid cards that they hope will eventually become a lot of folks' new checking account-type service?

Because they get paid "interchange" fees every time you swipe one of their Bluebirds.

There was a law just passed that broke interchange fees (the fees that merchants get charged when you use a card at their establishments) into different categories, with different costs per swipe, depending on the type of card (credit, prepaid, debit) you use; and guess what end of the interchange fee structure the no-fee cards will feed off of?

Of course, the Bluebird card will garner the highest interchange fee. That's where they (American Express and Wal-Mart) will initially make their money. That is, until millions of customers and consumers start flying high with their Bluebird cards, then they'll inch into more fees.

Oh, don't worry that Wal-Mart is paying the higher interchange fee (if you caught that). Not only will they eat off American Express' plate of those fees, they will pass along the higher interchange fees to their loyal customers, the ones who go there for low prices all the time.

The whole argument for lowering the interchange bank fee monopoly in the first place was because higher fees were being passed along to consumers by the merchants who were being charged by the processors and banks.

See how some things come full circle? Or as Dave Mason sang, "It's Like You Never Left."

But, that's not my problem with these prepaid and new-fangled bank-alternative cards.

The problem is that the money you use to pay for your card, which goes to the card company, isn't insured. There is no FDIC insurance on the money you give card companies, on the money sitting there that you haven't spent by swiping your card yet.

They could go under. American Express was closer than you think. And you don't think it could happen again?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:56 pm

This is really interested to note and would like other feedback:

A few days ago I made a fairly large purchase at OD for some Vanillas. All were for $500 and there was a card with a lesser amount for obvious reasons. Anyway, one of the cards failed to activate.

Even though all the other cards worked. I had to return to OD and they spent about dealing with vanillas splendid customer service. It took about 30 minutes of my time and then another hour of my time to get the money back on the card.

The most interesting point to note was that vanilla really had no idea which card did not activate. They relied solely on my receipt. In fact the person who I spoke to at vanilla questioned whether it was the card with the lesser amount and not one of the $500 cards that was not activated properly. There system is really messed up.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:58 pm

I don't understand is why (1) BlueBird website does not let us load from the Credit Card and charge $3.95 per load of $500 each? whats the point of V 'Reload' card if we are loading and unloading? no need to run to OD, CVS, WG and complain about the cashiers/managers asking cash (money laundering risk?) no need to hide or steal the blanks cards, anyway no one(OD, CVS, WG) is making money! they can find other 'loss leaders' (2) Why is V. reload itself not re-loadable? remove the middle men! Save some gas money and use the internet technology to make life easy and productive.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DL172
This is really interested to note and would like other feedback:

A few days ago I made a fairly large purchase at OD for some Vanillas. All were for $500 and there was a card with a lesser amount for obvious reasons. Anyway, one of the cards failed to activate.

Even though all the other cards worked. I had to return to OD and they spent about dealing with vanillas splendid customer service. It took about 30 minutes of my time and then another hour of my time to get the money back on the card.

The most interesting point to note was that vanilla really had no idea which card did not activate. They relied solely on my receipt. In fact the person who I spoke to at vanilla questioned whether it was the card with the lesser amount and not one of the $500 cards that was not activated properly. There system is really messed up.
one CC for each VR, and place each VR with accompanying receipt in separate bag.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
14 gc's at once at drugstore to buy Vanillas? Wow! I am having doubts this will last much longer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.