Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Organizational skills and attention to detail. Control freaks too
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Any PDX local have any idea where to find beans in the PDX area? No CVS around. All the Walgreens I have visited do not carry beans. No go at 7-11 too.
I'm across the river from you and have worked the Vancouver area over pretty well. None of the
Walgreens will accept a credit/debit or gift card...cash only. I couldn't find them at the Rite Aids
I looked into either.
So far most of the 7-11's only stock the various gift cards but none of the reloads.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
This Asian lady thing is cracking me up. Right this minute, my partner - who, incidentally, is Chinese - is out buying beans. I'll report back if she says there were other Asian ladies in the store.
Update: no other Asian ladies buying VRs, but she bought 2 VRs on her US MC w/ no problem. That should take care of her 3 months x $750 spend for the bonus 15k DMs. ^
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar
good luck with finding a store that has any available. Either folks are clearing it out in no time, or we aren't getting any at all.. It's almost impossible to find a store that has any in stock.
It seems like beans are much harder to find in higher-density cities (NYC, SF, etc), which would suggest that there are too many FTers for the limited number of stores to support. I'm out in the boonies and even out here the racks are growing sparse.

MTA: Also, it should be noted that it only takes one or two greedy folks that result in "hided" beans to basically shut down a store for everyone else. Today I left my store with two solitary beans on the rack (there were only 4 to begin with), so I get why people do this...but seriously, just don't. It's a total jerk move and it's harmful at a broad scale.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:10 pm

MUST SEE IF YOUR DOING RELOADS

I don't give a crap if this is a repost LOL it's still funny everytime I see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk

I'm lucky I buy Gift cards at a place where they take $3 flat charge to buy prepaid cards on credit card, and even sell them on a website (for extra $1.95) then my family use the cards for me LOL, since I'm the one with the best credit they think I'm getting 1point per dollar, 500 points for $3 this way, but I get a lot more cause I buy those gift cards with Amex Starwood I get upto around 10 cent per dollar value on where and how I use the points

Also I wouldn't worry about CVS losing money if you really think about it. Since CVS is a national chain they can negociate transaction fees with credit card companies. So let's say 1.5% per card average to be fair.

But also remember you can buy Amex Gift cards on BigCrumbs.com for a rebate upto 2.5% and sometimes free shipping and no activation fee what do you have to worry about?

Cause These card companies usually make 3% transaction on all money spent on Amex gift cards will make money on any transaction.

The bigcrumbs is probably getting a kick back from the 3%. For them to be able to offer 2.5% even if Amex pockets only $0.5% it still adds upto $15 profit to Amex on a $3000 card, not much but every little penny helps. and unused money even if it's forfeited to the State like posted earlier after a long time, interest is still built on the money unused til it's forfieted.

CVS could be earning as much as 2.5% if we used BigCrumbs as a model on the entire transaction.

They could be potentially earning upto $15 (2.5% on $500) + $3.95 activation fee for $18.95. If they pay 1.5% average to process the transaction (probably lower imho cause it's a national chain) They would cost $7.50 on the transaction, but $18.95 potential profit - $7.50 still = $11.45 profits.

Of course $18.95 is a lot better, but if they still couldn't make a profit with using credit cards, I'm sure a nation wide notice would go up CASH ONLY everywhere. I think it's mainly abusers who ruin it. Who knows drug dealers don't take credit cards, but I'm sure smart ones would take Vanilla reloads lol! they can see the funds go right in so why would they care? I use apps to send my friends money for buying my lunch, so some drug dealers could also be looking at other avenues as well to ensure they don't get robbed, which isn't too uncommon cause druggies know they usually hold large amounts of cash.

This is based of a lot of stipulations don't get me wrong, but it seems 100% possible. There would be no way to lose money, but for Amex to offer billpay is probably the weakest link in the whole process, because Amex would be the one to lose out cause of this feature alone, but they could always remove the possibility of billpay, or charge a % fee for billpay. If you feel bad you could always let them make interest on your money for a few weeks to let them build interest, and I would definately spend money once in a while with the bluebird the way it was meant to be used once in a while as well.

Last edited by distantarray; Jan 4, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by SnoopDaddy
you should've asked the manager if they were asian. THAT of course would be the tell all sign that it's really starting to get out of hand.

fwiw, during my VR runs, i've witnessed a jewish man and a black woman purchasing VR @ CVS. "I think it may be getting a little, just a little out of hand?"
lmao

So is no one doing the BC.AEGC -> CVS VR -> BB because AEGC doesn't have your name and will fail once they ask for your ID?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:09 pm

Got turned down for the first time yesterday. The cashier in CVS told me I could only use cash to reload according to the picture instructions on the VR card. :facepalm:

Luckily there are a few CVS around my area.

Last edited by mia; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:59 pm
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Linus
So is no one doing the BC.AEGC -> CVS VR -> BB because AEGC doesn't have your name and will fail once they ask for your ID?
It's sort of like finding a Walgreen's in your area that will take credit cards. All you can do is go out and explore in your area and see what results you get.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by soccergod
Got turned down for the first time yesterday. The cashier in CVS told me I could only use cash to reload according to the picture instructions on the VR card. :facepalm:

Luckily there are a few CVS around my area.
I had a cashier say the same thing to me in FL while I was there for Xmas. Stupid pictures confuse cashiers. I convinced her to run the CC and it worked without any problems.

Last edited by mia; Jan 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm Reason: Clean quotation
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by SpongyBard
Curious - can someone tell me what error code you get if you enter a valid card number on the VR site but a bad reload PIN number (just try all 0s or something)? I don't have another prepaid card I can try with.
Come on guys, can't someone spend a second and try that? I'm mainly curious if you get a "Card not found" error or a more specific error that the PIN is wrong. Try being dyslexic for one reload if you don't want to put all 0s or something

I now have a BB and Amex Prepaid and both give me "Card not found" error for 2 reload PINs (that I stupidly bought at the same location). I'm beginning to think something is funky with the PINs doled out at my retailer despite InComm reporting they are okay. But, the "Card not found" error suggests it's a card problem not a PIN problem.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator request

1. We have received a complaint about the "Asian" references in this thread. If one reads every post it is apparent that there was a misunderstanding which evolved into a running gag. However, not every member reads every post, and some of the posts may seem offensive if read in isolation. Please end it here.

2. Any thread may be closed briefly for review or maintenance. If you have a question about a thread, or any other moderator action, please click the Alert icon in the lower left corner of a post or use the PM function to ask. Please do not post the question in the forum.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Originally Posted by mia
1. We have received a complaint about the "Asian" references in this thread. If one reads every post it is apparent that there was a misunderstanding which evolved into a running gag. However, not every member reads every post, and some of the posts may seem offensive if read in isolation. Please end it here.
Tambien para los Hispanos y Catolicos.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter

On another note, had two Vanilla GC's go wonky on me today. Retailer had problems with their computers and even though a receipt printed that said they were activated, the cards were not actually activated. Just spoke to a very nice person at Incomm who gave me instructions on what to do (fax copies of receipt and front and back of cards to them). Sounded promising so I'm hopeful that my cards will be activated tomorrow. Hah.
I had same issue last week. I concur that Incomm was professional with courtsey. Here's the tip. The first time the issue surfaced, I called immediately. I was instructed to fax the copy of receipt with GC (front and back). I was told that it woudl take 3 to 5 days for them to activate the cards. After 6 days, I still had issue so I called them. They were swamped with the amount of submitted documents via fax. They had to find my copy after 10 minutes on phone and started the process to activate them within 5 to 7 days. They were activated after 4 days. The poitn is that you may want to follow up with them to see if they recieved your submitted document.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by mia

2. Any thread may be closed briefly for review or maintenance. If you have a question about a thread, or any other moderator action, please click the Alert icon in the lower left corner of a post or use the PM function to ask. Please do not post the question in the forum.
wow some people are sensitive, I'm Asian and I thought it was kinda stupid but funny. I guess I'm lucky cause 9/10 places I went allows me to buy with credit card doesn't matter if it's rite aid, walgreens, or cvs success at each
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by distantarray

I don't give a crap if this is a repost LOL it's still funny everytime I see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
I should have monetized this video. Or put a Chase Ink referral link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.