Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkar
Has anyone else actually bought office supplies lately? I actually needed some ink this weekend and went into my local office supply store. It felt strange to make a real purchase of something other than a gift card with my Ink Bold.
I did not know they sold ink.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:33 pm

Went to CVS with an Amex Prepaid (blue color variety, not gift card), and the register simply rejected it. Tried it twice at two different registers. After swiping and handing the card over to the cashier to enter the last 4 digits, the system read "Another Form of Payment Required".

I can think of 2 things:
1. They blocked purchase with a CC at that location only
2. Two different cashiers enter the 4 digit CVV code on the front, instead of the last 4 digits of the card
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by member7777
I did not know they sold ink.
Amazingly, I found they have an entire store back there behind the gift card rack.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by NYBanker
For some random reason, I happened to be a the customer service desk at Walmart today.

It was a pretty sad sight to see and listen to the other customers in the queue. It was particularly alarming to see how some parents were speaking to their children.

I find myself waiting in line at the customer service desk about once every two weeks. They like me because I say "please" and "thank you" and joke around with them. My transaction is long, but I see how the other customers treat them, so they're always happy to help.

I use each CVS trip as a philosophical and spiritual journey into the unknown
Originally Posted by lkar
Amazingly, I found they have an entire store back there behind the gift card rack.
I also use my CVS trips to up my Checkpoints and Shopkick accounts (PM if interested, not going to go into it here.). Usually gets me enough for a Starbucks gift card once every week or so.

Mike
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by vrbaba
Went to CVS with an Amex Prepaid (blue color variety, not gift card), and the register simply rejected it. Tried it twice at two different registers. After swiping and handing the card over to the cashier to enter the last 4 digits, the system read "Another Form of Payment Required".

I can think of 2 things:
2. Two different cashiers enter the 4 digit CVV code on the front, instead of the last 4 digits of the card
I mentioned this a few pages back. It's at least regional. I had it happen to me after 3 VR purchases on my same AMEX CC. Now none of the CVS in my area will take it. I get the same message at the register. I'm hoping it unlocks soon. I will be using my Citi 5% soon instead until it gets rejected.

I should mention that I bought all 3 at the same visit: 2 x 500 in one transaction, 1 x 500 in a second transaction. I'm guessing if you go over $1000 in purchases of VR on the same day, they think you're laundering money.

Last edited by Hilbe; Jan 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by vrbaba

I can think of 2 things:
WHERE is this CVS? There is a statement in writing at the top of the gift card rack at my CVS in Washington, DC that says that prepaid debit cards (i.e., with Amex, Visa, or MC logo) can only be paid for with cash and that prepaid cards can only be paid for with cash or a credit card. They take that statement literally and will sell you a VR card only if you use cash or a credit card. No debit cards (prepaid or traditional) or gift cards are accepted!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Does anyone have issue setting up a US Bank issued Club Carlson Credit Card as Payee?

I tried to use US Bank, or US Bank Credit Card from the list - BB insists either the number of the card is entered wrong or I need a correct zip code of 5 or 9 digits...

The thing is, when you pick it from the existing BB list, there is not even a field for the zip code to enter.

I really dont want a paper check to send to US Bank I want an ACH which seems only available if the payee can successfully be added from BB's list...

I am not sure if it is a brand new card before its first billing cycle would have anything to do with it. Right now it is not recognizable by BB. Though a friend also failed to billpay one of his long-existing PenFed card while another PenFed card was set up without any issue.

May have to resort to withdraw money to linked bank account as the Club Carlson card is used heavily with 65% charges from VRs and the remaining 35% from a payment for a cruise.
I got the same error message on 2 of the 5 bills I entered. I hit submit about 4 times and then decided to log out and try it again. I couldn't tell if it was the five digit zip or the nine digit zip that was causing problems.

Last edited by MSPdude; Jan 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:44 pm

For any of you out there thinking of relocating, I have a suggestion - this past weekend we happen to pass through Marion, Ohio, which could be the nexus of the universe. Not only does Marion have an OD with plenty of $500 GCs, it also has a CVS fully stocked with VRs. And both stores are right next to each other! Marion is a bit off the beaten path, but show me another place to live in this country with this killer combo!

Last edited by ZontarTheThingFromVenus; Jan 7, 2013 at 8:13 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hilbe
I mentioned this a few pages back. It's at least regional. I had it happen to me after 3 VR purchases on my same AMEX CC. Now none of the CVS in my area will take it. I get the same message at the register. I'm hoping it unlocks soon. I will be using my Citi 5% soon instead until it gets rejected.

That seems like a different case. I had just purchased Prepaid Reloadable Amex cards, and I tried two different ones. So, it cant be they are blocking a particular card. I suspect they are blocking all credit cards since last month they told me not to purchase them with CC anymore, even though I had just purchased them the day before.

Originally Posted by DCBob
WHERE is this CVS? There is a statement in writing at the top of the gift card rack at my CVS in Washington, DC that says that prepaid debit cards (i.e., with Amex, Visa, or MC logo) can only be paid for with cash and that prepaid cards can only be paid for with cash or a credit card. They take that statement literally and will sell you a VR card only if you use cash or a credit card. No debit cards (prepaid or traditional) or gift cards are accepted!
Up until now, I thought that was in practice only, and the system will allow you to use the credit card. This has been the case at several CVS where I would purchase a card, and when trying to purchase more, they either say they have a limit or cannot use a credit card anymore.

I may try again as it seems they are willing to take a credit card. I wonder if the systems were just "upgraded" to automatically reject prepaid cards. I may just try to buy one using a CC and see that works to be sure its not a blanket CC blocking by the system.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by tonyflyer
Don't you also need to separate out your "real" CC expenses from the "other" expense? Using separate bank accounts is easy, but having separate CC exclusively for "other" expense is probably not a good idea unless you have very diversified "other" expenses.
Just make sure that statement is not full of "CVS Pharmacy ...." at $503.95 each time .
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:27 pm

You are incorrect. No MVD in OD. There is a huge difference between mvd and other vanilla flavors.
In nocal, I have better luck with amex prepaid instead of vanilla gift cards, the words "gift card" on the vanillas seems to set off multiple head explosions in CVS clerks, where prepaid does not.
Worth the extra $1 for me.
I never said I've seen the MyVanilla Debit cards at OD

Is there a post somewhere describing all the different Vanilla varieties and why to buy one over the other?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Can you imagine if there were affiliate links for these prepaid cards all the bloggers would go ballistic
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I went to my local OD, they were out of the 20-500 vanilla gift visa bu they had a bunch on the bottom rack that said "thank you", "congradulations", and "happy birthday" so i got two of those happy birthday ones, took to first cvs that i had used GC at before, they said no gifct card only cash, credit or debit, so i left and went to cvs #2 also one i have used gift cards at before, they said no gift cards, credti or cash, so wanting more punishment i went ot a new to me cvs, this time with just one VR card, as she started she said cash only, but that i could use the atm they had to get cash, no thank you i said and started to leave, she said we could try it. i said ok and swiped the gift card gave ti to her for the last 4 then swiped my spg bus amex for the 3.95. all went through i told her i wanted to get just one more, went back to the rack and got the second, same as the first, told her i would see her again in a few days.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
i said ok and swiped the gift card gave ti to her for the last 4 then swiped my spg bus amex for the 3.95. all went through i told her i wanted to get just one more, went back to the rack and got the second, same as the first, told her i would see her again in a few days.
I didn't know you could do the full $500 and then use another form of payment for the $3.95 load fee. Does the register know how to drain the full $500 from the Visa GC or do you need to instruct the cashier amounts? I wonder if Walgreens is the same way.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:23 pm

Had a same issue. But did set up payee for 5 days payment, so it will take longer now. Will try again in a month or two, maybe it is the issue of being a new card as you said.

Originally Posted by Happy
Does anyone have issue setting up a US Bank issued Club Carlson Credit Card as Payee?

I tried to use US Bank, or US Bank Credit Card from the list - BB insists either the number of the card is entered wrong or I need a correct zip code of 5 or 9 digits...

The thing is, when you pick it from the existing BB list, there is not even a field for the zip code to enter.

I really dont want a paper check to send to US Bank I want an ACH which seems only available if the payee can successfully be added from BB's list...

I am not sure if it is a brand new card before its first billing cycle would have anything to do with it. Right now it is not recognizable by BB. Though a friend also failed to billpay one of his long-existing PenFed card while another PenFed card was set up without any issue.

May have to resort to withdraw money to linked bank account as the Club Carlson card is used heavily with 65% charges from VRs and the remaining 35% from a payment for a cruise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.