Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
They appear to be legit cards with 4 digits of the PIN removed. I'm guessing that someone takes the cards from the store, scratches the coating off the back, records the full 10-digit PIN, removes the last four digits of the PIN (so you can't use it before they do), re-applies the coating (should be cheap to buy the equipment), and then returns them to the store. Then, they probably run a script (or pay meth heads to enter the codes manually) until they successfully steal your money.

Any other theories?
Agreed, and its the end of the world as we know it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
DON'T SCRATCH THESE OFF BEFORE YOU BUY THEM!

Honestly, what kind of a child did your mother raise?
+1. What kind of crazies think it's OK to scratch off part of the silver strip BEFORE buying? Would you try this on a scratch-off lottery ticket and then not buy it? Of course not! Scratching off any part of the strip could be deemed criminal damage to property and you could be arrested for doing so. If I worked at CVS, I would examine the back of every card and refuse to sell it if part of the silver strip was removed.

Believe me, the crooks who did the original crime will be caught and prosecuted because they have left an electronic trail of bread crumbs (accounts) and an IP address that will be traced back to them. InComm will take this VERY seriously because it threatens their business. If you are unlucky enough to buy a fraudulent card, let InComm (VR) take care of you. You will get your money back!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
They appear to be legit cards with 4 digits of the PIN removed.

Any other theories?
So shouldn't a buyer scratch the card almost immediately after the purchase goes through then? If 4 digits are missing, you will know quite fast, and then the store can't accuse you of any shenanigans. Once the cashier hands you the receipt, scratch the card right then and there before you walk out the door.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:12 pm

They appear to be legit cards with 4 digits of the PIN removed. I'm guessing that someone takes the cards from the store, scratches the coating off the back, records the full 10-digit PIN, removes the last four digits of the PIN (so you can't use it before they do), re-applies the coating (should be cheap to buy the equipment), and then returns them to the store. Then, they probably run a script (or pay meth heads to enter the codes manually) until they successfully steal your money.

Any other theories?
Did you buy multiple beans on that trip? If so, were they all affected or was it just a loner on a rack of unaltered ones?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:13 pm
Suspended

the cards like the vr are too easily hacked, they are going to have to recall em and reissue in protective packaging or reinvent the wheel with something new
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by member7777
the cards like the vr are too easily hacked, they are going to have to recall em and reissue in protective packaging or reinvent the wheel with something new
OneVanilla packaging seems significantly more secure IMHO. InComm could just put VRs in something like that.

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Personal attacks are not necessary. I'm not an idiot, and I'm not making this up.
But you did advocate scratching off part of the silver strip covering the PIN number and that's just plain unethical and wrong unless you do it AFTER buying the card.
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCBob
But you did advocate scratching off part of the silver strip covering the PIN number and that's just plain unethical and wrong.
and illegal
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:19 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by DCBob
But you did advocate scratching off part of the silver strip covering the PIN number and that's just plain unethical and wrong.
OK, OK, I agree that scratching off part of the PIN code is a VERY BAD idea. After all, if my theory is correct, they could leave all 10 digits of the PIN code and still steal your funds. I often wait days before I deposit the funds to my BB, so the crooks should have plenty of time to act before I do. I guess that the only thing you can do to protect yourself is to immediately deposit the funds to your BB after purchase.

Be nice -- I am only trying to help others avoid being ripped off!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:20 pm
Suspended

OK, OK, I agree that scratching off part of the PIN code is a VERY BAD idea. After all, if my theory is correct, they could leave all 10 digits of the PIN code and still steal your funds. I often wait days before I deposit the funds to my BB, so the crooks should have plenty of time to act before I do. I guess that the only thing you can do to protect yourself is to immediately deposit the funds to your BB after purchase.

Be nice -- I am only trying to help others avoid being ripped off!
can u post a pic of the back of the card without exposing anything important to you?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:20 pm

Just got denied by a very power hungry shift supervisor at my local cvs. Stated that these "should" be cash only and he "called the corporate office and they are in the process of changing them to cash only, but in the meantime, to only accept cash."

I said thanks and walked out.

Meanwhile, I was at the same store yesterday and purchased with no hassle from the STORE MANAGER.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:21 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Did you buy multiple beans on that trip? If so, were they all affected or was it just a loner on a rack of unaltered ones?
Two, and they were sequential (the number in the bottom right corner). Thank God I didn't buy more.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Two, and they were sequential (the number in the bottom right corner). Thank God I didn't buy more.
That's actually kind of weird ... I have never seen sequential vanilla reload serial numbers, and I've bought probably 100+ of the things since they started at OD last year.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amolkold
That's actually kind of weird ... I have never seen sequential vanilla reload serial numbers, and I've bought probably 100+ of the things since they started at OD last year.
Good detective work, it sounds like the other card should be compromised as well.....
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Just got denied by a very power hungry shift supervisor at my local cvs. Stated that these "should" be cash only and he "called the corporate office and they are in the process of changing them to cash only, but in the meantime, to only accept cash."

I said thanks and walked out.

Meanwhile, I was at the same store yesterday and purchased with no hassle from the STORE MANAGER.
Even though CVS corporate obviously considered this and put out those stickers all over the place saying it was OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.