Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Superorb
I didn't know you could do the full $500 and then use another form of payment for the $3.95 load fee. Does the register know how to drain the full $500 from the Visa GC or do you need to instruct the cashier amounts? I wonder if Walgreens is the same way.
yes it knows how to drain it, it asked fo a signature, then showed a balance due of 3.95 so i swiped another card, gave that oen to the cashier for the last 4 and then another signature.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
yes it knows how to drain it, it asked fo a signature, then showed a balance due of 3.95 so i swiped another card, gave that oen to the cashier for the last 4 and then another signature.
Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I went to my local OD, they were out of the 20-500 vanilla gift visa bu they had a bunch on the bottom rack that said "thank you", "congradulations", and "happy birthday" so i got two of those happy birthday ones, took to first cvs that i had used GC at before, they said no gifct card only cash, credit or debit, so i left and went to cvs #2 also one i have used gift cards at before, they said no gift cards, credti or cash, so wanting more punishment i went ot a new to me cvs, this time with just one VR card, as she started she said cash only, but that i could use the atm they had to get cash, no thank you i said and started to leave, she said we could try it. i said ok and swiped the gift card gave ti to her for the last 4 then swiped my spg bus amex for the 3.95. all went through i told her i wanted to get just one more, went back to the rack and got the second, same as the first, told her i would see her again in a few days.
Did you ask in advance if it was OK? Here is the first problem - don't ask them upfront. It's much easier to say no and make you go away than to void out a transaction that looks like it will clear.

I just put my VRs on the counter, tell them the amount and when the total pops up, I stick my GC in the CC slot faster than they can blink - if they don't like it, they need to void the charge with a manager, which is more hassle than seeing things through.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by member7777
I use each CVS trip as a philosophical and spiritual journey into the unknown
It can be very spiritually enlightening...
What is the sound of one vanilla reloading?
How many beans can fit on the head of a pin?
If a bluebird chirps alone in the woods, does it make a sound?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by geclub1
I would say, "someone really likes me!"
A cashier at a nearby cvs gave it to me.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
Has anyone else actually bought office supplies lately? I actually needed some ink this weekend and went into my local office supply store. It felt strange to make a real purchase of something other than a gift card with my Ink Bold.
You'll probably get a call from Chase for unusual activity.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I find myself waiting in line at the customer service desk about once every two weeks. They like me because I say "please" and "thank you" and joke around with them. My transaction is long, but I see how the other customers treat them, so they're always happy to help.

Mike
Indeed, I have a bit of a friendly rapport going with the lady who staffs the customer service/money center desk weekday mornings. A little friendly chatter with her has bought a lot of goodwill.

She asked once if I would adopt her. That got a little too far for me.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Indeed, I have a bit of a friendly rapport going with the lady who staffs the customer service/money center desk weekday mornings. A little friendly chatter with her has bought a lot of goodwill.

She asked once if I would adopt her. That got a little too far for me.
I always say "Please", "Thank you" and make a little chit chat about the weather or something. Also I try to stop by during the week when I am dressed nice for work. Not my usual weekend look of old jeans, sweatshirt, unshaven, baseball cap, etc. I feel that I look like bum that might be pulling a gift card scam.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:57 pm

Just an FYI which may or may not apply to you. I bought some whities here in a north Boston SVC and when i swiped my Chase card the CC register said "Another Form of Payment Required". He had no problem trying three times. Then I tried buying a candy bar. Same message. Even though i prob spend 6-8k month on that card, I decided to call Chase. Sure enough they blocked the card because she said that much spending at a drug store raises a flag. She reset my account, still didnt work, same message. Had to call fraud department and get them to lift ban. They also put a note, which I asked them to do, that large CVS purchases were acceptable.

In case it helpful, which its probably not but...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I went to my local OD, they were out of the 20-500 vanilla gift visa bu they had a bunch on the bottom rack that said "thank you", "congradulations", and "happy birthday" so i got two of those happy birthday ones, took to first cvs that i had used GC at before, they said no gifct card only cash, credit or debit, so i left and went to cvs #2 also one i have used gift cards at before, they said no gift cards, credti or cash, so wanting more punishment i went ot a new to me cvs, this time with just one VR card, as she started she said cash only, but that i could use the atm they had to get cash, no thank you i said and started to leave, she said we could try it. i said ok and swiped the gift card gave ti to her for the last 4 then swiped my spg bus amex for the 3.95. all went through i told her i wanted to get just one more, went back to the rack and got the second, same as the first, told her i would see her again in a few days.
Did you ask in advance if it was OK? Here is the first problem - don't ask them upfront. It's much easier to say no and make you go away than to void out a transaction that looks like it will clear.

I just put my VRs on the counter, tell them the amount and when the total pops up, I stick my GC in the CC slot faster than they can blink - if they don't like it, they need to void the charge with a manager, which is more hassle than seeing things through.
No in fact at the first place I swiped and got shut down when she asked for the card to enter the last 4, the second saw me start to swipe and stopped me, third time was the charm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by dhy8386
Just an FYI which may or may not apply to you. I bought some whities here in a north Boston SVC and when i swiped my Chase card the CC register said "Another Form of Payment Required". He had no problem trying three times. Then I tried buying a candy bar. Same message. Even though i prob spend 6-8k month on that card, I decided to call Chase. Sure enough they blocked the card because she said that much spending at a drug store raises a flag. She reset my account, still didnt work, same message. Had to call fraud department and get them to lift ban. They also put a note, which I asked them to do, that large CVS purchases were acceptable.

In case it helpful, which its probably not but...
How much are you spending at pharmacies monthly? We have similar spending patterns (I put 7-10k on that Chase card/month) and I'd be interested to know how much spend at CVS raises a flag with that level of spend.

Last edited by augustus21; Jan 7, 2013 at 7:30 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPdude
I got the same error message on 2 of the 5 bills I entered. I hit submit about 4 times and then decided to log out and try it again. I couldn't tell if it was the five digit zip or the nine digit zip that was causing problems.
Do you mean BB finally took it after you logged back in? The first thing I tried was to log out and log back in. No luck.

All other banks are fine, Citi, Chase, Amex and the utilities, except this lone US Bank CC.

Originally Posted by moonquake
Had a same issue. But did set up payee for 5 days payment, so it will take longer now. Will try again in a month or two, maybe it is the issue of being a new card as you said.
Did you actually make a bill pay manually? If so, it posted OK on US Bank's side just a little bit longer time needed?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21
How much are you spending at pharmacies monthly? We have similar spending patterns (I put 7-10k on that Chase card/month) and I'd be interested to know how much spend at CVS raises a flag with that level of spend.
I am not sure if pharma charges just show up as CVS charges (we get about $150 worth of meds every month there) but if they do, probably 350/month before VRs.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by dhy8386
I am not sure if pharma charges just show up as CVS charges (we get about $150 worth of meds every month there) but if they do, probably 350/month before VRs.
Purchases at CVS, including from the pharmacy, show up as "CVS Pharmacy [store #]". How many VRs do you buy per month? That seems to be what set off the block and I'm interested in flying below the radar.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21
Purchases at CVS, including from the pharmacy, show up as "CVS Pharmacy [store #]". How many VRs do you buy per month? That seems to be what set off the block and I'm interested in flying below the radar.
It was only my second one, ever. I have not played the white russian roulette game but was testing out two CVSs to see if they would allow me to buy. I plan on doing this on my Delta Reserve card which should be here in a few days. May be problematic until i build up spending patterns. Unfortunately, I cannot be of much help as I plan on retiring the Chase card for a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.