Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Either. Who knows what would make one an ideal customer in Amex's eyes on this one...
Someone who swipes the card regularly for purchases.

The money is made on BB via the interchange fees (merchant discounts) they can collect. No swipes, no revenue.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by motytrah
I generally get around ACH issue by using Quicken BillPay as a proxy. It allows ACH transactions between institutions for free (outside the $9/mo for the billpay service). $3000 Daily, $9000 Weekly limit.
Well, SunTrust has a free bill pay service, so paying $9 to avoid a monthly $3 fee makes no sense to me. Also, the $2 ATM fee is not all that bad unless you travel very frequently.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin
..Note that the credit card processing fee would be around $12.50 on a $500 card, so obviously there's no way to make this a profitable transaction for both the retailer and VR if the thing is bought with a credit card.
No way they are paying 12.50 on $500 in fees. Im not even paying that much and they are a million times the size and volume.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
No way they are paying 12.50 on $500 in fees. Im not even paying that much and they are a million times the size and volume.
This whole issue was already covered by someone plausibly an insider at CVS:

Originally Posted by augustus21
To answer your question, yes. CVS does not lose money selling these things.

Remember that CVS is not charged by your credit card company to process credit card payment; the merchant's acquiring bank handles that, and passes that down, along with interchange fees, to the merchant. Thus, fees vary merchant to merchant, depending on the deal struck with their bank. However, CVS is likely paying less than 1.7% in total credit card processing fees. I mention this only to demonstrate that the fees to process the transaction are not that high.

CVS is given the "loading fee" + at least 1% of card value. Thus, they always come out ahead when you buy these cards, but they naturally do not want them to be bought with credit cards for the simple fact that it cuts into their profits (and the less obvious problems of their shadier uses).
Let's try not to debate it again.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
True. However, it has been reported elsewhere that the largest merchants (like Walmart) pay a flat 1% fee on each transaction. That would be $5 per $500 VR card. And they DO NOT get ANY discount on the actual cash that you load. If there is any breakage, it's kept by InComm. InComm ain't giving away cold, hard cash to anybody. I scoff at the idea that CVS is getting 1% of the load in addition to the $3.95 loading fee. VR cards are not like gift cards for a specific store (where the store is getting more business) or a debit card (where Amex/Visa/MasterCard generate revenue from transaction fees). So CVS does lose on every purchase over $395.00. Now, I assume they figured that the loss would be made up with other in-store purchases generated by the sale of VR cards. Maybe.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:23 pm

Oh-oh! Over on the Hilton forum someone pointed out that the new 2013 Surpass T&Cs DO NOT specify drugstores as one of the 6x bonus categories. If this is true I guess I will not be upgrading my no fee HH Amex to the Surpass in February.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Oh-oh! Over on the Hilton forum someone pointed out that the new 2013 Surpass T&Cs DO NOT specify drugstores as one of the 6x bonus categories. If this is true I guess I will not be upgrading my no fee HH Amex to the Surpass in February.
Odds of an upgrade followed by a downgrade a few months later triggering an FR? I just upgraded recently, but might not be willing to pay the fee for the next full year.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Yes, the goose has stopped laying golden eggs. Amex can clearly see they are paying for a huge increase in points generated by CVS drug store purchases. Since they cannot technologically identify the VR purchases as cash equivalents, they have decided to take away the extra incentive to use the Amex Hilton at drugstores and thus lower their cash outlay for Hilton points.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kjmj
Wish I could. I live in the sticks. Was in Minneapolis today which is 4 hours away. First place I found with beans. Won't be back soon, so have to get what I can. Everyone's situation is different.
There are people doing x intervals of $3k/day.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:33 pm

Has Bluebird changed the term of reload per day? I managed to reload 3 VR for total of $500 today. All went through.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
Has Bluebird changed the term of reload per day? I managed to reload 3 VR for total of $500 today. All went through.
You probably crossed the 12 midnight EST. It remains $1K per calendar day. Cut off is EST midnight.

Checked your confirmation emails for the time stamp.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by DCBob
Yes, the goose has stopped laying golden eggs. Amex can clearly see they are paying for a huge increase in points generated by CVS drug store purchases. Since they cannot technologically identify the VR purchases as cash equivalents, they have decided to take away the extra incentive to use the Amex Hilton at drugstores and thus lower their cash outlay for Hilton points.
Any other hotel programs have that goose?

For years I've only played in the airline miles, never bothered with the hotel programs. But in anticipation of some places I'll be visiting later this year (Australia), I was about to start jumping in to the hotel programs for the very first time. I do a lot of shopping at drug stores. Any egg-laying geese available in other hotel programs now that HH has stopped laying?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:34 pm

Went to my local CVS tonight to pick up some VRs. Made 3 separate purchases here in the past without issue.

This evening, I noticed someone decided to hide all of the VR cards behind the Paypal cards. At first I thought they were all sold out but I was happy to discover their hidden location.

Went up to the counter with 2 cards but this time was rejected by the cashier. I was told that they only accept cash for the VR cards now.

I'll try again in a few days.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You probably crossed the 12 midnight EST. It remains $1K per calendar day. Cut off is EST midnight.

Checked your confirmation emails for the time stamp.
Yep...just checked and it stated January 16, 2013
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:07 am

who has transferred money from bluebird to checking account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.