Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by snugglening
I thought this was all because Wal-mart was not allowed a bank charter or something along those lines. Yo MM Hans Gruber says "Hit it , again!" , which is exactly are the words I wanted to hear. Also to make this post relevant to the discussion I have not found a single Walgreen that allows CC for the VR here in C-bus ,Toledo, Ohio.
Whoa! Wait a minute, wait a minute, what have we here, gentlemen?... The police have themselves an RV!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by IAkH
Take a look at a reload and on the front of it you will see many logos for what it can be used for. In fact, only recently was the amex logo even added
Trouble is with the others such as Mio and Momentum, there are fees monthly, and for ATM use. It is hard to get your money moving for less money to make the miles cost effective. I don't want to pay $10 a month just to have an account with a low limit!

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I doubt WalMart needs banking to attract people to their stores - the WalMart Superstores which have the Money Center - there are lines basically from store opens till closes - people go there cashing paychecks to the WalMart Moneycards, paying their bills, paying the cell phone services in other countries such as Caribbeans (so your family members can have cell phone services in the islands), sending moneygram to other cities (quite a fee yet people seem to do it all the time), buying MO, etc etc all sorts of transaction - but the money keeps moving, unlike BB accounts where there would be balances.

That is not to mention the check out lines are always 5+ persons deep... separate from the folks lining up at the Money Center...

They do not need a bank in the store to attract folks to come in. As a matter of fact, in our area, SunTrust actually has mini branch in Super WalMarts. So WalMart already have banking services in their store, just not their own so they cannot benefit from the depository accounts.

I believe the dough while sits with AMEX - there are deals between the 2 giant companies that neither you and I would have any idea how the gravy is divided but I believe AMEX does not get all the dough without giving WalMart some cut of whatever the product brings in.
I stand by my two reasons why Walmart wants to be in banking. I am correct. Cash and capital isn't the issue for Walmart. The lines are 5 deep? They'd like them 7 deep...or would build more registers. If you think walmart is content with their same-store sales and don't want to increase traffic at every single store (which your comment implies), you are grossly mistaken.

As to where the deposited bb funds sit, they do not sit with Walmart. Amex is not lending Walmart money, either. Walmart's CDS are tighter than Amex's (when was the last time you checked?). As to a fee share, that is possible...though in general bluebird isn't a particularly profitable product. The bulk of the revenue is from card usage fees, very different than the prepaid debit card business model.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I stand by my two reasons why Walmart wants to be in banking. I am correct. Cash and capital isn't the issue for Walmart. The lines are 5 deep? They'd like them 7 deep...or would build more registers. If you think walmart is content with their same-store sales and don't want to increase traffic at every single store (which your comment implies), you are grossly mistaken.

As to where the deposited bb funds sit, they do not sit with Walmart. Amex is not lending Walmart money, either. Walmart's CDS are tighter than Amex's (when was the last time you checked?). As to a fee share, that is possible...though in general bluebird isn't a particularly profitable product. The bulk of the revenue is from card usage fees, very different than the prepaid debit card business model.
Just to add dimension, Walmart is about margin - this is why they welcome new suppliers at fairly tight margins, help them with first year sales to get them hooked, then go back at them the following year like a starving tiger pouncing on a pigeon, squeezing any last available penny from the supplier's margin, promising they can either make it up on volume, or telling the supplier to get lost.

If Walmart can't expand volume, either through same store sales or opening new ones, it loses the volume story and eventually suppliers, many tired of being tortured year after year over squeezing margins, will end up telling Walmart to get lost.

Bluebird is just another feather (sorry ) in this strategy - you see opticians, dentists, primary health care, fast food, travel, and even retail banking (operated by contract) - essentially Walmart becomes the new 'center of town', replacing the traditional small town America business district, cramming 3 blocks of independent retailers under the Walmart roof, and now Walmart gets a cut of every retail transaction rung up in these towns.

The entrepreneur side of me is impressed, but the human side of me is disgusted.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:17 pm

i just got the VR set up on my bluebird account. And I was able to pay a bill (or so I think...lets see if it processes) I did the ink Visa card at Office Depot to purchase the VR at CVS.

I think (but I am not sure) that the max I can load on my BB from Vanilla is $1,000 a day and $2,500 a month. Is this true?

Regardles of whether this is true, if I was to load to get about a single $500 card at OD a week, will this raise any concerns with chase? Would chase be upset if the ONLY thing I got from Office Dept is regular amounts of the $504.95 purchases on the card, or should I get some other stuff there as well while I get the cards? I dont want Chase to shut this down on me...
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by samnc0
i just got the VR set up on my bluebird account. And I was able to pay a bill (or so I think...lets see if it processes) I did the ink Visa card at Office Depot to purchase the VR at CVS.

I think (but I am not sure) that the max I can load on my BB from Vanilla is $1,000 a day and $2,500 a month. Is this true?

Regardles of whether this is true, if I was to load to get about a single $500 card at OD a week, will this raise any concerns with chase? Would chase be upset if the ONLY thing I got from Office Dept is regular amounts of the $504.95 purchases on the card, or should I get some other stuff there as well while I get the cards? I dont want Chase to shut this down on me...
I am pretty sure it's $1,000 a day, $5,000 a month. Personally, I don't think amounts matter that much, but I still prefer something a bit less rounded. Instead of getting jusnk I don't need, I just load smaller amounts - $470, $480, for example.

I also use the card at places other than OD - gas stations also give you 5x points, and this will cause less attention from Chase (at least I beleive that)
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
You should first read the FAQs on the bluebird.com website before you ask such basic questions on FT. But here is the info shown on bluebird.com:

Cash (includes Swipe Reload and InComm Vanilla Reload Packs):

$1,000 per day / $5,000 per month
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Artemk
I am pretty sure it's $1,000 a day, $5,000 a month. Personally, I don't think amounts matter that much, but I still prefer something a bit less rounded. Instead of getting jusnk I don't need, I just load smaller amounts - $470, $480, for example.

I also use the card at places other than OD - gas stations also give you 5x points, and this will cause less attention from Chase (at least I beleive that)
Also good to put your mobile phone, cable and landline phone bills to the Ink cards...all 5x.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just to add dimension, Walmart is about margin - this is why they welcome new suppliers at fairly tight margins, help them with first year sales to get them hooked, then go back at them the following year like a starving tiger pouncing on a pigeon, squeezing any last available penny from the supplier's margin, promising they can either make it up on volume, or telling the supplier to get lost.

If Walmart can't expand volume, either through same store sales or opening new ones, it loses the volume story and eventually suppliers, many tired of being tortured year after year over squeezing margins, will end up telling Walmart to get lost.

Bluebird is just another feather (sorry ) in this strategy - you see opticians, dentists, primary health care, fast food, travel, and even retail banking (operated by contract) - essentially Walmart becomes the new 'center of town', replacing the traditional small town America business district, cramming 3 blocks of independent retailers under the Walmart roof, and now Walmart gets a cut of every retail transaction rung up in these towns.

The entrepreneur side of me is impressed, but the human side of me is disgusted.
+1
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Also good to put your mobile phone, cable and landline phone bills to the Ink cards...all 5x.
Done, long time ago, just forgot to mention... What's landline?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:00 pm

gas stations also give you 5x points
Aren't gas stations only 2x on Ink?

Done, long time ago, just forgot to mention... What's landline?
landline = as in regular home/business phone line (not cell)
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:00 pm

thanks, i am aware of the 5,000 limit, but i wanted to know if something this large would trigger an audit/denial of some kind, of if its smarter to not quite do $500 all the time.

and yes, i think gas stations are 2x
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Aren't gas stations only 2x on Ink?
landline = as in regular home/business phone line (not cell)
OK, 2x, still use to have activity outside OD

I was joking about landline, don't have one personally for 5-6 years...
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:09 pm

thanks, i am aware of the 5,000 limit, but i wanted to know if something this large would trigger an audit/denial of some kind, of if its smarter to not quite do $500 all the time.
I don't think this matters. Plenty of people use it up to the max, no horror stories yet. Personally, I think what matters is how you spend the $5,000
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Nobody knows. They only way to know when you've crossed the line and "gone too far" is when you get smacked down and Chase closes all your accounts for having gone too far. You can't predict how far you can go, you only find out when you've gone too far. Exactly where that line exists is different for everyone and surely depends on multiple factors that we can only guess at.

Many of us value the relationship with Chase enough that we take the "slow and steady" approach so we don't risk the long-term benefits of staying on their good side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.