FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:21 pm
geclub1

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by DCBob
True. However, it has been reported elsewhere that the largest merchants (like Walmart) pay a flat 1% fee on each transaction. That would be $5 per $500 VR card. And they DO NOT get ANY discount on the actual cash that you load. If there is any breakage, it's kept by InComm. InComm ain't giving away cold, hard cash to anybody. I scoff at the idea that CVS is getting 1% of the load in addition to the $3.95 loading fee. VR cards are not like gift cards for a specific store (where the store is getting more business) or a debit card (where Amex/Visa/MasterCard generate revenue from transaction fees). So CVS does lose on every purchase over $395.00. Now, I assume they figured that the loss would be made up with other in-store purchases generated by the sale of VR cards. Maybe.
Got it.

CVS:
This potential "loss leader" situation could lead some zealous store managers to restrict access to the reload cards, I would imagine.

Vanilla:
Their main business. They take any GC breakage. They are happy to sell more.

BB:
Amex is making major push into the prepaid. Merchant discounts and keeping our money (without FDIC dues) interest free. Will get breakages on BB as well.

All seem to line up for this deal to go on for a while. Right?