Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

Please write about miles and points, not about each other.

Should there be members whose posts you don't care to read, you can put them on your ignore list. To do that, click on MyFlyerTalk and then on Edit Ignore List in the Settings & Options section on the left-hand side of the page. Enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in the Add a Member to Your List field. Click the Okay button, then click the Save Changes button.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by QL_714
Let’s make this real simple. If I can’t produce the number I will leave FT and not return if I do produce the number do you agree to leave and not return. Here is your chance to do the whole FT community a great service but like always you will just talk out of both sides of your mouth!!!
Well youve sure morphed it into one strange one sided plan
How do i know you dont already have it?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: Several dozen
One important part of the game not mentioned in the blogs is capitalization. You must have adequate cash reserves to play the game well in its many variants. When the bloggers send the herd out ill prepared to run with the bulls, people get gored.

Reminds me a bit of when people stocked up in the tens of thousands on AMEX gift cards in the Mint days, right before AMEX and the Mint shut that game down.

As to the story "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever" it is true. But have you seen the blog version "Give a man a bunch of fishhooks and all he will land is in the hospital."
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:34 am

I am not going to get into this side argument, but will just share my NS story.

When I was at about 15K, sure enough the cardinal came knocking 8/21. I ignored the advice of calling, and did call and told them I planned to file a complaint with a regulatory banking agency since I had not violated the T and C. they did not like this as all, and even the manager on the line was worried. My argument was while they were worried about fraud, they had no evidence of what kind of fraud was occurring and would not share it with me. I gave them until 8/24 to better explain this decision, or reopen my account. I did get another call with no other information on 8/23, and I told them I will files a complaint the next day. I was very courteous, yet firm, on the phone with them and made sure the rep knew I was not mad at them at all.

Now, as you can imagine, I am much to lazy to file a complaint, but I did get my money quickly (deposited this last week). I only had about $1400 in there as I was cycling rapidly....every time I was over 1K, I made a trip to regular place that works well unloading large amounts.

Now, just an editorial comment; I really think NS is a despicable set up. I think it is set up to pray on the low income people with poor credit and make them pay high fees they can't afford. Their fees are truly way too high (a new form of loansharking?) and can't understand how this is somehow "better" than a low fee bank account.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
One important part of the game not mentioned in the blogs is capitalization. You must have adequate cash reserves to play the game well in its many variants. When the bloggers send the herd out ill prepared to run with the bulls, people get gored.

Reminds me a bit of when people stocked up in the tens of thousands on AMEX gift cards in the Mint days, right before AMEX and the Mint shut that game down.

As to the story "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever" it is true. But have you seen the blog version "Give a man a bunch of fishhooks and all he will land is in the hospital."
They only tell you about the good. I report the bad and the ugly. You would think it would be a benifit to have the whole story.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:37 am

They only tell you about the good. I report the bad and the ugly. You would think it would be a benifit to have the whole story.
I would comment that Frequent Miler does often mention the risk which is always refreshing.....
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan

When I was at about 15K, sure enough the cardinal came knocking 8/21. I ignored the advice of calling, and did call
Did you call the regular contact #?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Did you call the regular contact #?
I think the website gave a number. Not sure if the same or not as that on the card.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Well youve sure morphed it into one strange one sided plan
How do i know you dont already have it?
We should take MIA's advice. We both had fun and made are points.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:42 am
Suspended

I think the website gave a number. Not sure if the same or not as that on the card.
Thanks

Unlike you, I did file the complaint and have the compleint #'s from 2 different agencies. Maybe that'll be enouigh to get them to finally send my funds.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:45 am

I would comment that Frequent Miler does often mention the risk which is always refreshing.....
It would be helpful if it was not after the fact like with NS.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:59 am

It would be helpful if it was not after the fact like with NS.
But he has certainly done it on other items, prospectively. Let's not through the baby out with the bathwater.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

When I was at about 15K, sure enough the cardinal came knocking 8/21. I ignored the advice of calling, and did call and told them I planned to file a complaint with a regulatory banking agency since I had not violated the T and C. they did not like this as all, and even the manager on the line was worried. My argument was while they were worried about fraud, they had no evidence of what kind of fraud was occurring and would not share it with me. I gave them until 8/24 to better explain this decision, or reopen my account. I did get another call with no other information on 8/23, and I told them I will files a complaint the next day. I was very courteous, yet firm, on the phone with them and made sure the rep knew I was not mad at them at all.

Now, as you can imagine, I am much to lazy to file a complaint, but I did get my money quickly (deposited this last week). I only had about $1400 in there as I was cycling rapidly....every time I was over 1K, I made a trip to regular place that works well unloading large amounts.

Now, just an editorial comment; I really think NS is a despicable set up. I think it is set up to pray on the low income people with poor credit and make them pay high fees they can't afford. Their fees are truly way too high (a new form of loansharking?) and can't understand how this is somehow "better" than a low fee bank account.
agreed about how they prey on people.
all we did was to be people who did not let them get the best of us, so they are mad at us. Then they find reasons to hold our funds and maybe party on the interest they get for holding them for a month to make up for what they could have had if it was from some poor sob who cannot do all this stuff we do. And also, I think my sending my letter I pasted earlier is possibly why they sent my money. A threat to them is what may work for each of us!

I also tell of the bad and the ugly. great movie reference btw. Now you have me whistling the tune and longing to see any Clint movie tonight.

of course, I will draw attention to a thread I started back last spring I think about things I/others have been booted from and what happened. I had no problem with putting that out there, but once I did, man oh man did I receive flack!

I got kicked out of a group, temp booted from a forum, had people tell me that I HAD BEEN the ONLY reason the things I was doing had failed, and everyone denied having any of it happen to them ever.

now we find that many here have done things and had them frozen for one reason or another--usually just because we like miles and points and the people who run the programs we use to get them do not understand.

We should take MIA's advice. We both had fun and made are points.
We shall take MIA's advice. But I am still curious if you have that number. (I would have possibly taken you up on the bet and given you one hour to find it, provide it, and make sure it led to a real person who has the actual power to handle top level compliance issues at NS) lol
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
We shall take MIA's advice. But I am still curious if you have that number. (I would have possibly taken you up on the bet and given you one hour to find it, provide it, and make sure it led to a real person who has the actual power to handle top level compliance issues at NS) lol
I just don't get you. Of course I have the number and fax also. I only bet on sure things!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
omg. really? take it to PM already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.