Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I had to contact these buggers a bunch of times and get lied to once my account was suddenly closed after about 4+ weeks of NO activity at all!

I had already long since spent funds, added ODs, done payments, CAs, etc... and had a $0 bal til I referred someone to join NS and got a $20 statement credit. I was planning to use the card soon enough and had just had it sitting there and then I got the closure notice out of the blue. Seems many people here have. Some have had like $2k stuck in there. Some have had to wait weeks for it or are STILL waiting!...

I wrote this nasty letter to them (below) and have yet to get any reply except my check, and I suggest that since I think they don't read FT, and they don't know we all know about each other yet, that we all band together somehow and nail these f**ckers hard, as THEY are the big scammers here.

You all may use this information as you see fit but hey, I got my funds out and am just trying to offer support and try to stave off further pains... I think it's no harm to post about this and maybe some still have working NS cards, but I have heard a TON of PMd horror stories... but if someone does this post should not be here, just PM me (kindly) and I will take it down. I posted it here to save myself from having to paste it or any further NS information into a gazillion PMs. We need to work together on this one.

August 26, 2012

RE: Closure of Netspend Visa account# 4039XXXXXXXXX

Netspend Corporation
P.O. Box 2136
Austin, TX 78768-2136
ATTN: COMPLIANCE

To whom it may concern,

It comes as a great disappointment to me that your company has so abruptly and without valid reason decided to close my account.

I looked over all the terms and conditions you have posted both online and in the pamphlet I received with my card and there was nothing I could find that broke any rules when I used the service.

I had linked another bank account of mine to Netspend and I think I send $5 over once. That is ok in your terms. It was suggested that I do this in Netspend’s own materials.

I will note that in July I had to contact your company on several occasions and was eventually able to scan and email in my ID along with other personal information to ‘verify’ myself as a person and a valid customer. As such, you allowed my account to go forth as it had been from the get-go.

I often receive or purchase Vanilla cards that are the reload packs found in many stores. I then load these to my card. This is allowed by your terms.

I then have used the card to purchase items at stores or to obtain a cash advance at a bank. Both of these things are allowed by your terms and if there are fees, my account has always had more than enough to cover same. If these things were not allowed, your terms would say so—one would think.

For some reason, however, you have now decided the latter, and without real notice. As well, my last activity of anything significant was about a month before you closed my account. Why? Why now? What changed?

All of these are questions I cannot get answers to. When I call I get railroaded. I am told by CSRs that cannot provide their last names even though they need mine that they have no further information. I was told MetaBank closed my account but I contacted them and they said they have nothing to do with this. Why did your CSRs lie to me? I was put through to a fraud department that, after waiting over 45 minutes on hold, told me to leave a message with ‘Compliance.’ Angrily, I did so, and the voice message promised to call me back but no one ever has. I figured as much, because I think your company structure is such that it is set up to make it impossible for customers like me to obtain any thorough accountability and rationale. Therefore, I am now rightfully at the point where, if your company cannot or will not provide valid reasoning for its obtuse action, I could be forced to seek legal action, among other things.

My account was in perfectly good standing when I was presented with two offerings: One, a chance to upgrade to a premium level, which I might have responded to, had this closure not taken place first; and the other, a chance to refer a friend to get the Netspend card. Someone did, and so my balance was $20. It stayed that way for several weeks (Nearly a month) but then you closed me out for no reason. As a result, a CSR from your company has said Netspend has now generated for me a check for $20 but this takes about 20 business days to be received. That’s September 19! Why on earth does it take you a month to mail something unless that too is a smoke screen and a scam? You abuse people!

Why does your ‘company’ only have a PO Box—and no one there will provide a real, physical address to me? Why do you hide behind a veil of supposed security when in fact it is your company that may be committing some sort of fraud?

Prove me wrong and do the right thing by writing back with the following ASAP!:

• The full name of the person responding to this.
• His or her department and physical office location.
• His or her valid working phone extension.
• Full reasoning as to what caused my account closure or a prompt reopening of the account without further costs to me.
• Any new terms and conditions mentioning anything about how I used the account and how what I used it for was somehow wrong.
• A formal apology concerning all of these matters herein.
• At this point, since it’s already been issued, I will wait until Sept 19 for my $20 check from Netspend but if it does not come, it’s going to pose a problem for you.

Of course if your company is running some sort of scam and this is your way of staying under cover, then go on doing what you are doing—I’m sure I may never hear from you again. But then you need to be aware that I will in turn do everything in my power to see to it that you are put out of business and/or otherwise inconvenienced—that is, unless I hear back soon with what I seek.

Sincere disgust,

MM
If you think the company is a scam or not following their t&c, did you send any letters to a governmental agency, e.g. consumer protection agency, attorney general, etc.? ... or even BBB?

It is surprising that many people are reporting closed accounts with no apparent abuse of the accounts and t&c, and yet, have not seen any reports of reporting this to a governmental agency!!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: A few
the whole point of these accounts is they are unregulated. if you want regulation stick with a bank. if you can't get in the banking system, you are prey for these sharks.

mm i have no idea what you think that letter will achieve.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by koolr

It is surprising that many people are reporting closed accounts with no apparent abuse of the accounts and t&c, and yet, have not seen any reports of reporting this to a governmental agency!!
Don't assume it's not been reported to Gov't agencies

For the record, at the (WI) state level, prepaid cards are not regulated
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:43 pm

@MM – You did not use the account for the intended purpose. They have a right to close your account at any time. Give it up and move on to the next deal.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by koolr
If you think the company is a scam or not following their t&c, did you send any letters to a governmental agency, e.g. consumer protection agency, attorney general, etc.? ... or even BBB?

I agree and that was my next move if the $20 had not arrived.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
the whole point of these accounts is they are unregulated. if you want regulation stick with a bank. if you can't get in the banking system, you are prey for these sharks.

mm i have no idea what you think that letter will achieve.
banks aint much better tba. I agree with you but my point was to (A) vent to them and (B) because maybe if I was one of many such letters, it could have some affect. Maybe not--and it was a waste of a stamp. All I know is one way or another, I did get paid. Some here have not.

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Don't assume it's not been reported to Gov't agencies

For the record, at the (WI) state level, prepaid cards are not regulated
no they are not but see above. Cant hurt to try, right? All who are missing funds should too, I think. Why not?

Originally Posted by QL_714
@MM – You did not use the account for the intended purpose. They have a right to close your account at any time. Give it up and move on to the next deal.

Well in my case it was $20 only. But for me, all of these things matter. I decided to send that and move on. My receiving the $20 made me feel as though it did something. Maybe not. Maybe they were sending it anyway. But I felt it was right to do. But yeah, what you said about them using the "You did not use the account for the intended purpose." excuse is probably correct the way they see it. One would need to argue all day on that point and get nowhere. It's the most used thing besides the words, "Well we think you were involved with fraud, sir" and therein lies the problem. Still, what IS the intended purpose and who is to really say? Oh well. Like I said, I got paid out. Have others?

Like I said peoples... take it for what it's worth. I'm just sharing what I experienced and maybe it will help someone else.

MM
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: Several dozen
OK, but can I tell them that you can open dozens of free e-checking accounts at Bank of America should they prove needed? And believe me they are proving needed. And they can easily talk to each other and to other bank accounts in the language of money.

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Don't tell them about that cancel and reapply the same day before it register in the system one for xxxbank. I need to use that one at least two more times to get the miles I need for my wife and I to do our 5 continent around the world trip. Thanks ... please don't PM me I am sworn to silence
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

further notes...

I don't really care if my activity was reported to any agency. I/we know that what we did was not wrong at all.

This brings me to the shark bate thing... yeah, in a way we are shark bait because we let them have our funds on that card for the days its there before we take it out. but WE actually DO take it out! And quickly and in full! So what I think is really going on is this:

Most of their customers are not doing big ins and outs and when we come along and do that, we do not allow them to be sharks and they get pissed. We take out too much too fast for their liking and they feel like a shark who chased a fish that got away, so they have to snap at anything they can get. In that sense we pull one over on them.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:05 pm

Getting spending up without the Mint

I think the reality is that we are not their 'target' customers, their analysis had determined they won't make any money serving us do they shut our accounts.

I likely would do the same thing. For me it was great getting shut down as it shaven me the fees when I cash out. I got it all in a nice big check in about a week with just the account closure fee. Saved me about ten bucks and trips to Walmart.

I understand the frustration with these situations but if you take a step back it's pretty easy to laugh it off. This is a game and you can't win every round.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
the language of money.
The Language of money...

hehehe

That sounds like some title for a just-okay 'guy' movie found on NetFlix staring Denzel Washington or Steven Seagal about crime and the underworld with some guys who make fake gift cards or something
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:16 pm

Most of their customers are not doing big ins and outs
Intended purpose for this type of an account. Let me guess you are schocked!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
The Language of money...

hehehe

That sounds like some title for a just-okay 'guy' movie found on NetFlix staring Denzel Washington or Steven Seagal about crime and the underworld with some guys who make fake gift cards or something
There is "The Color of Money" with the late Paul Newman and the pre-crazy Tom Cruise. Not a bad movie.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
I think the reality is that we are not their 'target' customers, their analysis had determined they won't make any money serving us do they shut our accounts.

I likely would do the same thing. For me it was great getting shut down as it shaven me the fees when I cash out. I got it all in a nice big check in about a week with just the account closure fee. Saved me about ten bucks and trips to Walmart.

I understand the frustration with these situations but if you take a step back it's pretty easy to laugh it off. This is a game and you can't win every round.
agreed. and if one gets that check in due time and it saves hasle, then that's great too. But luck and timing are everything.

i did well with NS myself. there was frustration but it served its purpose.

Originally Posted by QL_714
Intended purpose for this type of an account. Let me guess you are schocked!
not shocked at all. Just still bothers me that such entities do this thing where they shut you out and then fail to pay out. Hey like I said, I got my money. My thinking for writing my letter was this: If we all wrote one like that, maybe they would pay everyone out quicker. We are glad they made this product but they are mad that it had a hole or whatever you want to call it that we went through. They take that anger out on us by shutting us down in the fashion in which they do, and that's all. I certainly had moved on into other things.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
There is "The Color of Money" with the late Paul Newman and the pre-crazy Tom Cruise. Not a bad movie.
agreed. good flick!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Time for me to start paying more attention to this thread, credit is back on the upswing, and I'm going to start needing to meet some spends, hopefully not too creatively . Finally figured out how to best use my tree cutting permit as well .
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:58 pm

Netspend makes Cartera look like Mother Theresa.

Is there ANYONE reading this thread who still has an open Netspend account? I'm still waiting on my $125 refund after being shut down two weeks ago. Honestly, I don't know how they can get away with holding on to customers' money for so long. What a nightmare.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Netspend makes Cartera look like Mother Theresa.

Is there ANYONE reading this thread who still has an open Netspend account? I'm still waiting on my $125 refund after being shut down two weeks ago. Honestly, I don't know how they can get away with holding on to customers' money for so long. What a nightmare.
I haven't been using it long, and don't use much, but my account is still open....it's only a matter of time though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.