Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Netspend makes Cartera look like Mother Theresa.

Is there ANYONE reading this thread who still has an open Netspend account? I'm still waiting on my $125 refund after being shut down two weeks ago. Honestly, I don't know how they can get away with holding on to customers' money for so long. What a nightmare.
lol yah
well get on them man... write, moan, groan. Cant hurt, right? Might even get to insult some CSRs while yer at it! (like I had to in the end)

anyway, "Netspend makes Cartera look like Mother Theresa." should totally be a FT t shirt available at the next DO lol

Originally Posted by captaincool
I haven't been using it long, and don't use much, but my account is still open....it's only a matter of time though
go big, go fast and get out. I was actually SURPRISED I made it past $15k and then got to where I was. I thought something breathed new life into it when I got that referral bonus.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I'm still waiting on my $125 refund after being shut down two weeks ago. Honestly, I don't know how they can get away with holding on to customers' money for so long. What a nightmare.
The same way that Citi, Chase, Amex, etc... have done it. In this game, you must be prepared to float all funds at any given time for 2+ months if need be, while <insert entity> decides that you are behaving. $125 is pennies in comparison to what others have had to endure in blazing this trail.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
The same way that Citi, Chase, Amex, etc... have done it. In this game, you must be prepared to float all funds at any given time for 2+ months if need be, while <insert entity> decides that you are behaving. $125 is pennies in comparison to what others have had to endure in blazing this trail.
you are very correct and I personally have been in situations like this where you need to float several thousand... but still we have the right to not like it, and for me it's about principle too. to me, getting that $20 back I got is as big as $125 or $2000 would be. Think of NS, who is currently partying on our money! Collectively, they have a lot of cash to sit on and possibly make bank on too.

It's one thing to go into this stuff knowing you may need to wait for things like this if they happen to you. But I am not planning on just LETTING someone use my funds for as long as they please without good reason. We have to fight to get them back and that's why I suggest as many people as possible write these jerks or send letters to the AGO or BBB or both, and more. And that's me saying this even though I really have no stake in it anymore cuz I already got mine.

heck if we dont complain to THEM, we really have no right to complain about it in here, right>?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:48 pm

[QUOTE][/Netspend makes Cartera look like Mother Theresa.

Is there ANYONE reading this thread who still has an open Netspend account? I'm still waiting on my $125 refund after being shut down two weeks ago. Honestly, I don't know how they can get away with holding on to customers' money for so long. What a nightmare.QUOTE]

My NS account got suspended after a large tax payment I ran as a debit. It took about 3 calls and about 45 days to get the balance mailed out. Once the check arrived I went out and got a new NS card to see if I could reup. As soon as I registered the card I was told to call in. I was informed that I was banned and could not get a new account oh well, it was worth a try.

My wife now has a NS account and I'm trying to devise the best plan to max it out. I wonder if she made a large ACH (maybe 5k or so) payment and then immediately closed the card if that would stop NS from finalizing a ban on her card. She could then get a new card later. I guess I'll try it anyway but I wonder if anybody has any advice on how to improve my chances. Thx.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=piecerate;19279924]
[/Netspend makes Cartera look like Mother Theresa.

Is there ANYONE reading this thread who still has an open Netspend account? I'm still waiting on my $125 refund after being shut down two weeks ago. Honestly, I don't know how they can get away with holding on to customers' money for so long. What a nightmare.QUOTE]

My NS account got suspended after a large tax payment I ran as a debit. It took about 3 calls and about 45 days to get the balance mailed out. Once the check arrived I went out and got a new NS card to see if I could reup. As soon as I registered the card I was told to call in. I was informed that I was banned and could not get a new account oh well, it was worth a try.

My wife now has a NS account and I'm trying to devise the best plan to max it out. I wonder if she made a large ACH (maybe 5k or so) payment and then immediately closed the card if that would stop NS from finalizing a ban on her card. She could then get a new card later. I guess I'll try it anyway but I wonder if anybody has any advice on how to improve my chances. Thx.
Cash advance

Some banks go as high as $5k but some go to $10k
Ns charges $2.50 for this so factor this in
Let the bank deposit to your acct and wd cash the next day

Cas from ns do not charge a fee other than the $2.50
You must have a bank acct to do one there
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
I found a new way to churn / get spend up without the mint. It involves dairy products, so churn is an appropriate term!

Buy milk in those big, heavy, glass bottles that have deposits associated. The deposit can be paid with a credit card or gift cards. After finishing your milk, return the bottle to the grocer. You will get cash!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Better to just sit back and say NO to all this BS. Way too much work for very little return and all the risk[QUOTE=piecerate;19279924]

Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
New Car Purch. 5K max CC spend workaround

I have TWICE been able to exceed the $5000 Credit Card maximum amount on a new car dealer purchase.
This was done by putting 5K down via CC on the first day of closing the deal and then getting the OK to return the next day to finalize financing,and/or put more down on the purchase.
I returned the next day and worked with a DIFFERENT (this is important), finance person who takes up to an additional 5K deposit via credit card --or if you want, gift cards.

total $10,000 gift card spend.

Perhaps one might return the third day for more. I dunno.

note: Don't buy add-on the leather protection package... (whispers) it's a rip off.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:26 am

You can go way above 5k on a car purhcase if you stay away from Penske

The car dealer just needs to have complete trust in you. Difficult since car dealers deal with a lot of scum, flash, and trash.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
I found a new way to churn / get spend up without the mint. It involves dairy products, so churn is an appropriate term!

Buy milk in those big, heavy, glass bottles that have deposits associated. The deposit can be paid with a credit card or gift cards. After finishing your milk, return the bottle to the grocer. You will get cash!
Or you can buy an oyster card with a credit card and then redeem it for cash.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by centrifuge41

I dont even like milk except if it's used to make like pancakes or something. But that would take you years hahaha

[QUOTE=Nottafatslob;19280136]Better to just sit back and say NO to all this BS. Way too much work for very little return and all the riskMaybe, but this NS bull is what enabled many to cash out other vehicles bought for points. We needed NS.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:47 am

[QUOTE=piecerate;19279924]

Why not just load up the account as high as you can and then cancel the account without any transactions? You'll get a check for the balance minus $5.95 (or so) for the check cutting fee
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
Why not just load up the account as high as you can and then cancel the account without any transactions? You'll get a check for the balance minus $5.95 (or so) for the check cutting fee
Sure, if you feel like waiting a month or 2 for your check to arrive, assuming they don't refund the $ back to the funding source instead.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Frequent Miler;19281547]
Originally Posted by piecerate
We could do that but (a) we thought/hoped the ns would last longer and deliver more over time and (b) how long must one wait to get back say $15,000?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
My NS was closed and I had a balance of $3501.00. They told me it was for improper business practices and uses of the card. They also told me it would take 20 BUSINESS Days to get a refund so basically a month. All I ever did with the card is go to ATM's
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
you are very correct and I personally have been in situations like this where you need to float several thousand... but still we have the right to not like it, and for me it's about principle too. to me, getting that $20 back I got is as big as $125 or $2000 would be. Think of NS, who is currently partying on our money! Collectively, they have a lot of cash to sit on and possibly make bank on too.

It's one thing to go into this stuff knowing you may need to wait for things like this if they happen to you. But I am not planning on just LETTING someone use my funds for as long as they please without good reason. We have to fight to get them back and that's why I suggest as many people as possible write these jerks or send letters to the AGO or BBB or both, and more. And that's me saying this even though I really have no stake in it anymore cuz I already got mine.

heck if we dont complain to THEM, we really have no right to complain about it in here, right>?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.