Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Getting spending up without the Mint

Hi FT,

First, a big thanks to everyone here. There's so many helpful members giving good instructions, links, and ideas on getting and using miles.

I just picked up some of the good cards that people have been advocating, but I'm not going to be hitting the spending limit on a couple even though there's really lucrative bonuses. My daily spending is low and I don't have much that makes sense for me to prepay on - definitely not enough to earn out all the bonuses that are possible right now.

The Mint and gift cards are a no-go for me, and likewise I don't have many expenses to prepay. I do have some spare cash in the bank, though. Here's what I'd like to do if possible, in order of preference:

1. Funding online bank accounts, brokerage accounts, or certificates of deposits via credit card and also getting a significant bonus for it

2. Funding online bank accounts, brokerage accounts, or CD via credit card without getting hit with a fee

3. I'm willing to eat a low fee on something to transfer the money between two accounts I have and back into the bank if nothing else is available

I found a lot of threads from 2009 and earlier on bank accounts that work, but there's some warnings about places no longer taking credit cards or getting labeled as a cash advance. All guidance here is very welcome and appreciated - first question, are there any online bank accounts I can fund via CC with no fee and get a bonus? Second, if no bonus, anywhere I can fund without a fee? Third, best service for transferring money between two accounts I own both while minimizing fees, not getting labeled as a cash advance, and not getting banned/frozen on that service?

Thank you!
Old May 13, 2011, 3:07 pm

They will be considered cash advance.

If you are willing to hit 2.7%, you can get a square up and pay yourself with an Iphone.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sarbanes
All guidance here is very welcome and appreciated
Use PM's!!!
Old May 13, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: CO, DL, SW, SPG, CapitalOne Venture
You pretty much ruled out the best couple of methods to get points.

Especially not hitting a spend to get the bonus- thats crazy!
Old May 13, 2011, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I'm outside of the USA right now, so can't do the Mint. I could do a bit on gift cards if I was close and had nothing else, but nowhere near enough to get all the spending bonuses. And then, my expenses are pretty low. I just... don't spend much for my life right now.

So yeah, I know it's tricky. I figure only need to find 1-2 good options, though, and that should be enough.
Old May 13, 2011, 4:19 pm

I used a card to pay my real estate taxes. (*enough to meet the spend requirement for the 100,000 BA miles promotion).
Old May 13, 2011, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
buy coins or gcs for a family member in the states.
have them put money into a bank acct you still have in the states and can view online
Old May 13, 2011, 8:21 pm

You could make some charitable contributions online.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Yeah, good feedback on taxes and charity, but I don't have anything coming due in those categories in the next three months.

Funding online banking or brokerage would really be ideal... I'll do more research on it. If anyone can recommend a good place to start researching, please reply or PM me. Thanks.
Old May 14, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: All of em...
If you're not going to hit the spend, then getting those cards was a waste!!!! Dings on your credit inquiries, and the credit card company basically is able to take advantage of you by not having to give you the bonuses!!
I feel like you're breaking FT rules by not hitting the spending requirements for the bonuses.

Have any friends buying something expensive soon? Maybe they'll put it on your card and pay you?
Old May 14, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
How far off, in general, are you going to be? Just wondered if we're talking a need to get $5,000 or $500.

- Perhaps there is a trip you need to take later one. Buy the tickets now - get a changeable/refundable fare and just refund or reticket later

- Buy all your Christmas and other gifts now. Plus you'll be done shopping for the year.

- Maybe your daily needs aren't so great but there still may be things that you will need, that you could stock up on (nonperishables, batteries, ). Especially if you grab stuff on sale.

- I also like the suggestion of seeing if a friend has a big purchase coming up, paying you back and using your card. Even aside from large purchases - depending on how much time you have to meet the spend requirement, add a very trusted friend/family member as an authorized user...just work out them sending you payment on time each month.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
insurance
memberships
Old May 14, 2011, 11:40 am

Can you pay monthly auto loan with a credit card? I have a car loan with BMW Bank of North America. I know I can call them up but they are closed today.

Pay your Homeowner insurance with credit card...I did this yesterday
Old May 14, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
If you still pay US taxes, you can pre-pay online. But there's a surcharge (2%? 2.4%) on that.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL GM
Other than the few cards mentioned in the main coin thread that don't give spend points for the mint, no one else has had trouble meeting their spend with coins recently, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.