Old May 16, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA, CO, AA, USAir
thanks and questions

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
forgot about this stuff:

2) Amazon payments
  • find threads on it in FT - so do a search
  • load $1k with a CC
  • pay someone (like your SO) without fees.
  • repeat

First, thanks a lot, marathon man, for all these suggestions! I have a quick question, though, on Amazon payments in particular: I have recently sent $500 using amex premier gold rewards, the charge posted quickly, but when I look at "points summary," it says "total charges: $500; eligible charges: 0". Has anyone had an issue with using amex charge cards for amazon payments before? On returning things to costco: be careful not to do it too much. You give your membership number when you shop, and at some point they will simply block your account for too many returns. You do not want to get on one of their black lists.

Another question is, can you confirm that one can actually buy Amex gift cards at amex online store (through big crumbs), and it will count as a purchase, not cash advance or equivalent?

Thanks a lot again!
Old May 16, 2011, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fevsi
First, thanks a lot, marathon man, for all these suggestions! I have a quick question, though, on Amazon payments in particular: I have recently sent $500 using amex premier gold rewards, the charge posted quickly, but when I look at "points summary," it says "total charges: $500; eligible charges: 0". Has anyone had an issue with using amex charge cards for amazon payments before?
No issues with my SPG
Old May 16, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
here's a thought...

if you are a home owner -- you may be able to pre-pay your property tax for the year. You'll need to check with your county on this. You'll need to talk to your bank if you have an escrow account.

Of course, you are in effect giving the gov an interest free loan...
Old May 16, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
First, thanks a lot, marathon man, for all these suggestions! I have a quick question, though, on Amazon payments in particular: I have recently sent $500 using amex premier gold rewards, the charge posted quickly, but when I look at "points summary," it says "total charges: $500; eligible charges: 0". Has anyone had an issue with using amex charge cards for amazon payments before?
No problem with my AMEX plat
Old May 16, 2011, 9:07 pm

actually my local bank thanks me for bringing them in. They are pushing green in chicago and actually on any transaction requiring one dollar amounts, they only provide coins, unless the customer demands $1 bills. Talking to the manager, they process about 10K a week in coins going out to customers. She is happy to get my 5k of deposits a week, saves her on transfer costs from the fed.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:32 pm

ATL

Originally Posted by jamesjim1k
actually my local bank thanks me for bringing them in. They are pushing green in chicago and actually on any transaction requiring one dollar amounts, they only provide coins, unless the customer demands $1 bills. Talking to the manager, they process about 10K a week in coins going out to customers. She is happy to get my 5k of deposits a week, saves her on transfer costs from the fed.
Suntrusts in ATL have no problem with coins, I have gone to 4 different branches and they dont blink at $2000 deposits.

For non minty ideas, I found one in Hawaii, they sold a giftcard in the drugstores that claimed it was transferrable at no fee into any paypal account, It was only $5-$6, but max value was only $500. Didnt buy one, so I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it. I did read all the fine print and it looked like a good way to consolodate all my $50 amex giftcards I got from a publix coupon promo. If anyone in HI reads this go to longs and give us the name of these cards (i think it was something like "plum" or "green apple") they pitched it as an alternative to wiring western union money to friends and family.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
This works at Nordstorm's if you return a gift and don't have a receipt. They will ask you how you want to receive the refund including an immediate refund to your bank account with your debit card.
I was going to say this too, but I return things that I buy on my CC (whichever one I am trying to meet a spend requirement on!) and then ask for cash back. The cust service counter at Nordie's typically has no problem giving cash back, even for large amounts. Although I don't do it intentionally. I much prefer trying things on in the comfort of my own home, so I regularly use Nordie's website to buy clothes and then if things don't work out, I return them and get the cash back.

Last summer I had bought a $1500 necklace for my mom for her (big) birthday and then later on I saw something I liked better from a different store... returned the $1500 necklace to Nordie's and asked for cash. The kicker was I had bought that necklace using BA's shopping portal when they were having a double miles promotion at Nordstroms netting me 24 miles per dollar - so that purchase gave me 36000 miles, which was never deducted from my account.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cynicalbuthopeful
if you are a home owner -- you may be able to pre-pay your property tax for the year. You'll need to check with your county on this. You'll need to talk to your bank if you have an escrow account.

Of course, you are in effect giving the gov an interest free loan...
I do this with a credit card each year, partly to get the miles/points sooner but also because I can deduct the full payment from my income taxes for that year rather than half waiting until the following year. But like income taxes, there is a service charge for doing so...something like 2%.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by blase
I was going to say this too, but I return things that I buy on my CC (whichever one I am trying to meet a spend requirement on!) and then ask for cash back. The cust service counter at Nordie's typically has no problem giving cash back, even for large amounts. Although I don't do it intentionally. I much prefer trying things on in the comfort of my own home, so I regularly use Nordie's website to buy clothes and then if things don't work out, I return them and get the cash back.

Last summer I had bought a $1500 necklace for my mom for her (big) birthday and then later on I saw something I liked better from a different store... returned the $1500 necklace to Nordie's and asked for cash. The kicker was I had bought that necklace using BA's shopping portal when they were having a double miles promotion at Nordstroms netting me 24 miles per dollar - so that purchase gave me 36000 miles, which was never deducted from my account.
Did you return using a receipt? If they accept returns without a receipt...

There might be a loophole anyway buying stuff online and returning in store.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
I've done that before a few times - latest at Lowe's last weekend to max out Discover's 5%. Guy didn't have a problem, the cashier didn't even have a problem making change for the guy so we could be square.. so it never hurts to ask.

biggest downsides for this are to the guy giving you his cash. you want to have his transaction be separate so he has his own receipt in case he wants to return/exchange the whatever (in my case, some light fixtures). also, if he needs to return it, the money auto-refunds to your card normally but I'm sure you could complain for a gift card.

downsides to you are the suspicion that you've stolen the card - easy to correct that mis-assumption.

it's really cool when you see a guy buying a couple thou in lumbar and sheetrock and he starts pulling out cash.. "ahem, excuse me... Could you do me a big favor?"....

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
But there are so many creative things that COULD be done here. I mean... call this nuts but how many times have you stood in line at some store and watched all those poor saps using CASH or DEBIT to buy stuff and you are holding your miles card ready to buy your item? I have often wondered if I should like offer one of them something JUST to be able to swipe and have them hand me the cash. I dunno.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by abcx
Did you return using a receipt? If they accept returns without a receipt...

There might be a loophole anyway buying stuff online and returning in store.
Yep I had my receipt.... doesn't matter though, they will give you your refund in whatever form you request. Nordstrom customer service kicks a$$ like that!!!
Old May 17, 2011, 12:16 pm

Another question is, can you confirm that one can actually buy Amex gift cards at amex online store (through big crumbs), and it will count as a purchase, not cash advance or equivalent?

Thanks a lot again!
i just bought 5k through big crumbs...and then called amex hhonors and they said "any purchase will merit points!"

ill let u know next billing statement
-budfrog
Old May 17, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Heretic!

The AMEX Gift Cards will merit points but watch out for the good Cardinal Fang of The Spanish Inquisition! Buying those AMEX gift cards may get you tortured by the comfy chair! The Spanish Inquisition considers gift cards and coins the purist form of heresy.

Originally Posted by i3udfrog16
i just bought 5k through big crumbs...and then called amex hhonors and they said "any purchase will merit points!"

ill let u know next billing statement
-budfrog
Old May 17, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Is there any limit to gift cards (AmEx, Visa, or otherwise) bought at grocery stores? I guess they all just get coded as a grocery store purchase.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
Is there any limit to gift cards (AmEx, Visa, or otherwise) bought at grocery stores? I guess they all just get coded as a grocery store purchase.
Not that I've experienced, and I buy them fairly often. Not for my own use but the GC seems to be the usual thing we give at work for someone's going-away and things like that. So for folks that I manage, or even ones I don't but am asked to help with their luncheon, I will volunteer to take the cash and go buy the card(s). Of course I use my CC to buy it and pay myself back with the cash.

The store cards have fees of course, unless you catch a special where they're waiving the fee. However in the above case, the type of GC, amount, etc is pre-determined by the office "social committee" person and I just buy what they say, where they say. Not my money so if they want to pay $3.95 fee, so be it.

Last edited by 84fiero; May 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.