Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MJLouise
I used my Chase BA card to buy 2,000 in Amex Gift Cards, and it counted as a purchase. I used whatever discount code was floating around at the time, but paid the shipping (nominal) and got some Big Crumbs cash back. ^
same here. put $4k GCs at BC with the BA Chase Visa. NO probs
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Stubtify
Second this. Virtual CC numbers are wonderful for Magazine Subs, and for those times when you don't feel 100% safe with your real CC number.
With all the recent reports of mega-scale hacks of merchants and banks, I try to never use my actual Citi CC number when purchasing online...always use a Virtual Account Number.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: ALL :)
Kroger Gift Cards

I just went to a local Kroger store and bought some gas and southwest cards for the fathers day promotion. Worked like a charm, Thank you...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:02 am

Gift Cards with Incentives

I also take advantage of special promotions that grocery stores run. For example a local store here just ran a promotion for a $100 gift card, pay $89.99. I bought the max you could buy which will stock me up for 5 months. But I received the credit card points and the 10% savings.

I did this at a local restaurant for 20% bonus as well.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Gift Cards - Best Western Summer Deal

Buy 'em with your credit card to rack up spend and then double dip with points to SWA, Continental, Aeroplan, Alaska, American, Delta, USAir or AirMiles. http://travelcard.bestwestern.com/tr...inebonus11.jsp
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Fantastic!

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Buy 'em with your credit card to rack up spend and then double dip with points to SWA, Continental, Aeroplan, Alaska, American, Delta, USAir or AirMiles. http://travelcard.bestwestern.com/tr...inebonus11.jsp
Thanks for the heads up on this! ^
Old Jun 20, 2011, 6:59 pm

Sorry, I'm a little green- are you buying these then using the gift card to stay at the hotel or somehow transferring the points off the cards?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:56 pm

Best Western

Originally Posted by coregis
Sorry, I'm a little green- are you buying these then using the gift card to stay at the hotel or somehow transferring the points off the cards?
He is buying the giftcards to get his credit card spend. Then redeeming the gift cards when he travels to those hotels. In addition he gets airline points for purchasing the giftcards.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
VanillaVisa is Vile

Today I needed some spend in a hurry, so I went to CVS and purchased a $500 VanillaVisa gift card. It was only when I got home and registered it that I discovered what a bad GC it is.

The issue is that you can register a ZIP code to the card, but not a name or address. That suggests that the card probably will be usable for local spending (gasoline, groceries), but will not be usable for online purchases.

Dang!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Today I needed some spend in a hurry, so I went to CVS and purchased a $500 VanillaVisa gift card. It was only when I got home and registered it that I discovered what a bad GC it is.

The issue is that you can register a ZIP code to the card, but not a name or address. That suggests that the card probably will be usable for local spending (gasoline, groceries), but will not be usable for online purchases.

Dang!
these are the best ones for mint purchases.

buy the amex gcs at big crumbs for the 1.6% cash back
use the amex gcs to buy vanilla visa gcs at stores.
the cash back money offsets the store fees

use the vanillas to buy coins
only have to register your zip so its faster.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:23 pm

Have to meet a sizeable 23k churn by the end of the year (BA card companion cert) I've been using the usual methods, but afraid to come up short. I know one possibility, but it might get me banned from a certain retail store, so I'm not as inclined to use it. Any PMs with ideas are welcome... I will share details of said possibility
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by vacaloca
Have to meet a sizeable 23k churn by the end of the year (BA card companion cert) I've been using the usual methods, but afraid to come up short. I know one possibility, but it might get me banned from a certain retail store, so I'm not as inclined to use it. Any PMs with ideas are welcome... I will share details of said possibility
Sent you a PM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:17 am

If you're getting financial aid for college or have a family member who is, you can pay the tuition prior to the financial aid posting, and the financial aid will be dispersed to the recipient in its entirety.

Otherwise, the financial aid reduces the tutition prior to distributing the remainder via dispersement.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Paniero
If you're getting financial aid for college or have a family member who is, you can pay the tuition prior to the financial aid posting, and the financial aid will be dispersed to the recipient in its entirety.

Otherwise, the financial aid reduces the tutition prior to distributing the remainder via dispersement.
Lots of universities seem to charge extra for credit card payments.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:40 am

University Payment

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Lots of universities seem to charge extra for credit card payments.
Yeah when I was going to school they allowed you to pay with credit card with no fee, I only had a 1,000 credit limit so I payed school off in $500 increments. Now they charge 3% a believe through an outside source.

One other way I thought was donating to Charities via credit card. My state allows you to do Tax Rebates, which means you can donate to a charity and recieve 100% of that money back if you owe that much in taxes. In essence paying your taxes with credit card. AND helping out a charity... It allows you to decide where you want your tax money to go instead of straight to the gov.

**Disclaimer I am not a tax advisor and this info is general in nature and is not intended as tax advice. Furthermore, the information contained herein may not be applicable to or suitable for the individuals' specific circumstances or needs and may require consideration of other matters.

You should CONTACT your tax advisor on this before trying it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.