Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
In addition to above: Our Security Monitoring Service uses Am Ex, so does our Trash Collector hair cuts, most charities,and lawn service. All monthly recurring. If someone looks into every possible way to pay monthly the amount really adds up.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:21 am

Thanks everyone! I am new, but am learning fast. I just got a AMEX Surpass HH card.

We spend ~ 500/mo on groceries from a store (Wegmans) in the DC area. If I get my wife a ~1K GC every two months, will that equal to 6,000 HH points? It is my understanding that 6 points / $ on grocery purchases.

Have not checked to see if the Wegman's GC come free or with a service charge.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Buying Gift Cards or Vouchers on eBay through MR Portal?

Now that I've been bitten by the FT bug and have 2 AMEX cards... I've been looking for a way maximize my MR points earnings rate. I shop on eBay often and thought this would be a way to do just that. In addition to shopping for merchandise, and in the topic of this thread, what about buying gift cards/certificates/vouchers/prepaid charge cards/etc. on eBay?

Buying GC's on BigCrumbs.com, etc. has been covered and definitely something we all can consider (Thanks, MM!)... I'm just brainstorming here, so bear with me:

1.) Get to eBay through MR Shopping Portal
2.) Buy GC/cert/prepaid charge card (*usually can get these discounted. e.g. someone selling a $100 Best Buy GC for $95)
3.) Purchase gets 4X Bonus MR points
4.) ... proceed as usual

The only variable I see is the Bonus MR points T&C, which states:
"Bonus points will NOT be awarded on the following products and product categories: Business and Industrial, eBay Motors, Real Estate, eBay Giving Works or other purchases that benefits charities or non-profit organizations, Gift certificates."
... the last item seems like a deal breaker, but, I think this condition was meant to restrict awarding bonus points for purchases of the actual eBay gift card. It may even cover gift card purchases through the eBay Gift Card Mall... hard to be certain, any thoughts?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Henry82
2.) Buy GC/cert/prepaid charge card (*usually can get these discounted. e.g. someone selling a $100 Best Buy GC for $95)
Good ideas, but what do you then do with the GC/cert/prepaid charge card? In the end, the goal is to find eligible spend without a remaining asset in hand. You could buy gift cards 24/7 to get a lot of spend, but what good does that do you when you now have $xx thousand in gift cards to use on spend which you could have used your credit card for in the first place?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by scotty00
Good ideas, but what do you then do with the GC/cert/prepaid charge card? In the end, the goal is to find eligible spend without a remaining asset in hand. You could buy gift cards 24/7 to get a lot of spend, but what good does that do you when you now have $xx thousand in gift cards to use on spend which you could have used your credit card for in the first place?
You are correct in part.

But consider this:

Say your new CC has a spend of $4k but it needs to get done in 90 days.

Say you have a situation whereas you wont be able to actually spend that money in that time period.

Well the idea of buying GCs now is that you would in fact make it on time, but then you could use those GCs even AFTER the spend period of the promo is over. I have said this many times before in here and in related threads.

the first point is to make the spend. then of course, it's to have whatever you get be either a charge you would have done anyway, or a way to pay back the spended CC.

But if you end up with all these GCs and the 90 promo period is over, just use THOSE on things you'd normally do now. You will eventually burn them up. At least you would have made the spend in time.

that's the key here.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by Henry82
... the last item seems like a deal breaker, but, I think this condition was meant to restrict awarding bonus points for purchases of the actual eBay gift card. It may even cover gift card purchases through the eBay Gift Card Mall... hard to be certain, any thoughts?
I was churning heavily buying eBay GC with eBay GC. eBay never gave eBay Bucks for it, but you could receive rebates through MrRebates or BigCrumbs on it. You cant do that any more. Other gcs should still receive rebates. When rebates were not given on ebay gc. I cashed out by bidding on visa gc and amazon gc. What a headache that was. You don't understand the meaning of amateur until you deal with hobby eBay sellers.

Last edited by sunk818; Jun 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
I only buy store GCs when the rotating 5% cards (Discover, Chase Freedom) are in that category and I haven't maxed it out that month/quarter. I don't know if that card gets the scanned receipts on the statements like amex used to but Discover and Chase don't care what you buy as long as the store is coded correctly for the category.

Originally Posted by jgallag
We spend ~ 500/mo on groceries from a store (Wegmans) in the DC area. If I get my wife a ~1K GC every two months, will that equal to 6,000 HH points? It is my understanding that 6 points / $ on grocery purchases.

Have not checked to see if the Wegman's GC come free or with a service charge.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:32 pm

I think an excellent way to meet spending requirements now is to purchase 100K US miles for $1500. It's not an everyday spend, but 100K US miles can take one to HK in business class, so for someone needing to go to Asia and wants to meet spending requirements, it's a good deal.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:59 pm

Marathon Man's posts got me thinking. There are very few items I DON'T pay by CC:

1. The CC's themselves.
2. Taxes. Fairfax Co. charges usurious "convienience" fees.
3. Insurance premiums. I want the bank record.
4. Charities. Two reasons. This is not a small item in our budget. First, Quicken gives me a nice summary for the IRS. This is a hefty deduction. Second, some charities may be worthy causes, but their collection arms include some sketchy dealers. I was burned by a worthy cause "helping themselves" to my CC.
5. Magazine subscriptions. Again sketchy collection practices. They don't get to know my CC numbers.
6. And a few vendors that don't take CCs.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadiver
Marathon Man's posts got me thinking. There are very few items I DON'T pay by CC:

1. The CC's themselves.
2. Taxes. Fairfax Co. charges usurious "convienience" fees.
3. Insurance premiums. I want the bank record.
4. Charities. Two reasons. This is not a small item in our budget. First, Quicken gives me a nice summary for the IRS. This is a hefty deduction. Second, some charities may be worthy causes, but their collection arms include some sketchy dealers. I was burned by a worthy cause "helping themselves" to my CC.
5. Magazine subscriptions. Again sketchy collection practices. They don't get to know my CC numbers.
6. And a few vendors that don't take CCs.
Definitely an interesting post. I've never NOT used a CC when I can, save for convenience fees (and I even pay those, if I need to hit a threshold).

2 - The CC record isn't sufficient? These are big payments usually.

4 - Don't forget that you're also really getting more money to the charity by avoiding CCs.

5 - That's what private payment numbers are for!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
@ Scuba...

If I could use CC's to pay off other CC's... LOL I would be in mile heaven!!!!!!!!

Too bad thats not possible haha
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Did Judy already post about using Kiva as a way to use Amex GC? This is her message from the Kiva website:

Join Bigcrumbs, hopefully with my referral! Buy Amex Gift cards (up to $5K per order every 14 days on the personal side) with a miles earning card register them with your name and billing address by phone and then use them with your Paypal acct. You will get around $80 back per purchase. Use code DAILYWISH for a discount.

Lend on KIVA and then when repaid, withdraw to your bank account via PAYPAL and then rinse, lather, and repeat.

JudyJFLA

home.bigcrumbs.com/JudyJFLA

More about FT's team on Kiva:

http://www.kiva.org/team/flyertalkers
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rajuabju
@ Scuba...

If I could use CC's to pay off other CC's... LOL I would be in mile heaven!!!!!!!!

That's the holy grail!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Definitely an interesting post. I've never NOT used a CC when I can, save for convenience fees (and I even pay those, if I need to hit a threshold).

2 - The CC record isn't sufficient? These are big payments usually.

4 - Don't forget that you're also really getting more money to the charity by avoiding CCs.

5 - That's what private payment numbers are for!

Second this. Virtual CC numbers are wonderful for Magazine Subs, and for those times when you don't feel 100% safe with your real CC number.

However, don't use them when you'll need to present the physical card for proof (Some hotels).

Very few places I don't use a card anymore, the rewards are just too good to pass up.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
@ Scuba...

But Not impossible as it has happened only once in my lifetime.
I was overseas when I remembered a CC balance/payment was due. I called the card CS and explained the situation. Didn't want to miss the payment but being overseas I didn't have checking acct info on hand as I didn't remember the acct #. I told them I only had 2 credit cards I was traveling with. They made a very rare exception and actually let me pay off the CC payment with my other CC. I avoided the late fee and late payment that would've dented my credit rating. Don't think I could ever repeat this again nor would I want to.
From my experiences.

PT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.