Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Here is another creative way for property owners to instantly get miles.

Most homeowners with home loans have an escrow every month for insurance but no spend earned because the escrow agent pays it for you in cash.

Here is what you do. Most insurers allow you to pay on line with a credit card. So pay your insurance invoice directly to the insurance company before the escrow agent pays it. Once it is paid, the insurance company will not send your escrow agent a bill for the amount you have paid.

If you need a quick spend, you can prepay. This way you get the spend that otherwise you could never get.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Just purchased a few thousand dollars silver. In this case it is 90% pure coin silver at 25x face value. Will flip soon, hopefully it goes up a little.

See www.coinflation.com

----------------------

If you know an electrician, you could flip 1000' rolls of romex, especially with Lowe's coupons.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldtravels
Here is another creative way for property owners to instantly get miles.

Most homeowners with home loans have an escrow every month for insurance but no spend earned because the escrow agent pays it for you in cash.

Here is what you do. Most insurers allow you to pay on line with a credit card. So pay your insurance invoice directly to the insurance company before the escrow agent pays it. Once it is paid, the insurance company will not send your escrow agent a bill for the amount you have paid.

If you need a quick spend, you can prepay. This way you get the spend that otherwise you could never get.
Better yet, get rid of your escrow account entirely and save the money elsewhere.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Question about Amazon Payments -- I just joined last week and successfully sent $1000 over two transactions this week. Is the "monthly" counter based on the calendar month (May), or a 30 day period or something else?

Also, if I try to do another payment this month, what will happen -- will it automatically reject it, or just subject me to a potential account closure?
Old May 20, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Better yet, get rid of your escrow account entirely and save the money elsewhere.
Actually, you can use your credit card to pay insurance whether you have a escrow account or not. You can do this even if the escrow agent is currently being billed for your insurance.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
And they complain that I brag all of the secrets??????

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
forgot about this stuff:

1) starbucks buy and return of store GC:
  • walk into starbucks
  • pay $500 to max load a store giftcard
  • do not use it or even register it. Just do not use it.
  • call corporate.
  • tell them you had bought it for some work promo and decided to not do it
  • ask for a refund.
  • they will ask info and send you a check in 30 days
  • keep the card and store receipt in case someone calls along the way to verify.
  • This could work for you maybe 2x in a year

2) Amazon payments
  • find threads on it in FT - so do a search
  • load $1k with a CC
  • pay someone (like your SO) without fees.
  • repeat

3) store returns that give the return back in different forms
  • buy 10 $50 coffee makers at starbucks
  • bring them back the next day or to another store.
  • return them and say you do not have your CC.
  • provide any card--like a debit card that links to your bank and has the 16 digits.
  • get money, keep the miles from original purchase.
  • this also works at West Marine and sometimes at Walmart
4) costco
  • look it up. I aint sayin' no more on that one!

certs for my enjoyment can be sent to me at my po box and I will provide it to those who feel like PMing me thanking me for being nice and giving many many ways to have just made your 50k-100k spending requirements WITHOUT coins in play.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by QL_714
Did someone hack your account or did you fall and hit your head?
First time you and I see eye to eye on something.
Old May 20, 2011, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by mrpickles
And they complain that I brag all of the secrets??????
How about if we put you down for 80%?
Old May 20, 2011, 4:55 am

Here's my brainstorm. (I haven't done this yet, but am about to.) The idea is to meet the high initial spend requirement for cc bonuses within the short timeframe, given the coin shortage at the mint. Zappos offers free shipping both ways and returns can be made for one year. So make a purchase from Zappos, order coins, and when the coins arrive eventually, return the merchandise to Zappos. So I'll get the cc bonus right away. I'll defer sending the returns to Zappos until I've actually met the initial spend requirement via other means, so that the cc bonus isn't at risk of clawback. You could also do this by making other necessary purchases over time instead of coins, but that would take me forever, especially since I have quite a few new cc's that need spend. The downsides are that you have to front the money to pay the Zappos charges on the cc bill until it's time to make the return, and you have to take the return package to UPS (which isn't far from my house).
Old May 20, 2011, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoGreen
Here's my brainstorm. (I haven't done this yet, but am about to.) The idea is to meet the high initial spend requirement for cc bonuses within the short timeframe, given the coin shortage at the mint. Zappos offers free shipping both ways and returns can be made for one year. So make a purchase from Zappos, order coins, and when the coins arrive eventually, return the merchandise to Zappos. So I'll get the cc bonus right away. I'll defer sending the returns to Zappos until I've actually met the initial spend requirement via other means, so that the cc bonus isn't at risk of clawback. You could also do this by making other necessary purchases over time instead of coins, but that would take me forever, especially since I have quite a few new cc's that need spend. The downsides are that you have to front the money to pay the Zappos charges on the cc bill until it's time to make the return, and you have to take the return package to UPS (which isn't far from my house).
You're going to order $2,500 (using the BA card as an example) worth of shoes and clothing, sit on them for a cpl months or more, and then send them back to the vendor?

Why not just buy Visa GC's and burn them over time as needed? A lot less hassle and not nearly as unscrupulous.
Old May 20, 2011, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
You're going to order $2,500 (using the BA card as an example) worth of shoes and clothing, sit on them for a cpl months or more, and then send them back to the vendor?

Why not just buy Visa GC's and burn them over time as needed? A lot less hassle and not nearly as unscrupulous.
Well, because I don't want to have to actually spend all that money to use the VISA GC's over time. With Zappos I'll get the refund in 2 or 3 months. Besides, I buy a lot of things at Zappos, and there is always the chance that they'll send me something that I intend to return, and I end up loving it and keeping it - I think Zappos is aware of that tendency. So perhaps that increases the scrupuality of the concept.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
You can also apply for Chase checking and savings account and fund it ($1,000 total) with a Visa or Mastercard. You can also get $150 for opening it. Avoid using Citicards as it might incur cash advance fees.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gv111
You can also apply for Chase checking and savings account and fund it ($1,000 total) with a Visa or Mastercard. You can also get $150 for opening it. Avoid using Citicards as it might incur cash advance fees.
I thought this only worked with debit cards. Are you sure it'll work with a credit card?
Old May 20, 2011, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
I thought this only worked with debit cards. Are you sure it'll work with a credit card?
Just checked the apps - debit or check card only
Old May 20, 2011, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
I just used a new Chase credit card for this purpose. It shows the transaction as pending under a purchase. So it seems to be working so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.