Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
How far off, in general, are you going to be? Just wondered if we're talking a need to get $5,000 or $500.
After all other expenses prepaid, stocking up, etc, probably $3000 under? Also there's a couple more cards I'd like that I haven't applied for because I don't see how I'd get the spend on them.

So... yeah, some way to fund an online bank accountage, brokerage account, buy bonds, something like without a fee would be ideal. Though I am willing to eat a few % points on spending if it's really necessary.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
well if you wont order GCs that people can later turn into mint coins for you, then you just need a few friends that you can pay expenses for and then have them put money into your bank.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
well if you wont order GCs that people can later turn into mint coins for you, then you just need a few friends that you can pay expenses for and then have them put money into your bank.
Yup

Do you have anyone in the State who you trust with to work with on this? If so, add them as a user, get them their own card and have them order coins, spend $ pay bills, whatever
Old May 14, 2011, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Yup

Do you have anyone in the State who you trust with to work with on this? If so, add them as a user, get them their own card and have them order coins, spend $ pay bills, whatever
exactly.
In the case of my own mother who says she wants more starpoints, I simply had her make me an auth user on her amex and I ship all coins or GCs to me. Then I bill pay her bill and she just racks up the points.

You could do this with relatives or friends too. Just people you trust who are willing to help--even if only once or twice.
Old May 14, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Other than the few cards mentioned in the main coin thread that don't give spend points for the mint, no one else has had trouble meeting their spend with coins recently, right?
No problem with any of the cards. There is a small problem with the mint right now in the sense that they do not appear to have much stock to ship.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...s-up-mint.html
Old May 14, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: Lotz
You realize you can prepay all sorts of things: cellphone, insurance, cable, utilities, etc. What's left can go on giftcards from stores you use or even visa/mc for a small fee. Pre-paying 3K spend isn't hard.

Telling this crowd you're gonna miss your bonus over a spend is alarming.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by DealDetective
You could make some charitable contributions online.
Ive done this. Works fine
Old May 14, 2011, 8:31 pm

do not EVER EVER buy GC from financial institution(IE: AMEX GC FROM AMEX) or fund account with Citi cards...they take them as cash advance.

I didn't have guts to deposit $4000 worth of mint coins to my local bank, so I used square machine and lost 2.75% but still a profit.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eurekaya
do not EVER EVER buy GC from financial institution(IE: AMEX GC FROM AMEX) or fund account with Citi cards...they take them as cash advance.

I didn't have guts to deposit $4000 worth of mint coins to my local bank, so I used square machine and lost 2.75% but still a profit.
Just curious, what card are you using that gets you a 3+% return?
Old May 15, 2011, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Other than the few cards mentioned in the main coin thread that don't give spend points for the mint, no one else has had trouble meeting their spend with coins recently, right?

problem is the Mint is almost at a standstill. Had placed an order over 3 weeks ago and Friday got an email saying "backlog" so don't know when that will clear. Main problem with CC bonus miles is that must spend $xxx within either 3months for some cards, so time is important.
Old May 15, 2011, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freezone
problem is the Mint is almost at a standstill. Had placed an order over 3 weeks ago and Friday got an email saying "backlog" so don't know when that will clear. Main problem with CC bonus miles is that must spend $xxx within either 3months for some cards, so time is important.
this is why buying gift cards with a CC to cover spend requirements is a good practice--regardless of whether the mint existed or not.

the thinking is: You could probably burn the money on the GCs over time anyway, but you only have x months--often a short window--to get the spend and thus the bonus.

So if you buy GCs, you fulfill this need and then can use them later. It's much like getting gift certs from a restaurant for an idine promo.
Many such certs are valid for a year. The promo only lasts for a few weeks.

The mint will be back. Get GCs now if you can, and get coins later.
Old May 15, 2011, 6:19 pm
Suspended

this is why buying gift cards with a CC to cover spend requirements is a good practice--regardless of whether the mint existed or not.

the thinking is: You could probably burn the money on the GCs over time anyway, but you only have x months--often a short window--to get the spend and thus the bonus.

So if you buy GCs, you fulfill this need and then can use them later. It's much like getting gift certs from a restaurant for an idine promo.
Many such certs are valid for a year. The promo only lasts for a few weeks.

The mint will be back. Get GCs now if you can, and get coins later.
Thanks for the tip,

Now, which Giftcards are the best to order?
1) no fees or charges
2)easiest to use (spend)
3) cards with longer expiration dates (or possible No expiration dates), also heard some cards have no expiration dates but decreases in value over time
Old May 15, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
Originally Posted by 84fiero

- Perhaps there is a trip you need to take later one. Buy the tickets now - get a changeable/refundable fare and just refund or reticket later
This wouldn't work, would it? They take the miles back if you do a refund that puts you below the spending threshold.
Old May 15, 2011, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freezone
Thanks for the tip,

Now, which Giftcards are the best to order?
1) no fees or charges
2)easiest to use (spend)
3) cards with longer expiration dates (or possible No expiration dates), also heard some cards have no expiration dates but decreases in value over time
well I pmd ya
Old May 15, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA
well I pmd ya
Can you pass the pm along to me as well? This whole back order issue is getting me a bit antsy as to meeting the deadline...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.