Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yankeeflyer
Didn't see this specifically mentioned, but Kroger is running a 4x GC promotion now in conjunction with their new gas rewards program.

First, let me say their old gas program totally sucked. This one looks okay, but with the 4x points through June 18 on most gift card purchases it's a no brainer to meet some spending thresholds and get a buck off my next fill-up. ($250 in gift card purchases=1000 points=$1 off in a single fill-up.)

As for the really good stuff I'm doing, I guess I'm supposed to keep it a secret, LOL.
I believe it's a 30 gallon maximum, but still a great deal.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by Yankeeflyer
Didn't see this specifically mentioned, but Kroger is running a 4x GC promotion now in conjunction with their new gas rewards program.
The Kroger Gas is a nice deal.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/474/gas4x.jpg

I know the AmEx Blue Preferred gives back 5% on groceries, but I wonder if gas cards are categorized as groceries?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunk818
My initial thought was, if that's your attitude, I don't see a point in anyone sharing newly CC churning methods. The word "ingrate" comes to mind.

Instead perhaps you can share which ones are good for CC? Or at least state, which services specifically are not good for CC.
Venmo. Venmo works. Haven't I said that upthread enough times that everyone is already pissed at me?

Looks like you're new around here. You're really calling me an ingrate when you haven't read the thread fully?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Let's stick to facts, helpful info and knock off the name calling or this thread WILL be closed!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by elkhornne
I believe you're right. There are a few of FT members who will share on PMs. I appreciate any and all info when it comes to points/miles. ^
Actually there are a lot of FT members that will share via PM on certain deals. If a member can’t show discretion on certain deals why would anybody in their right mind share with him/her?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:36 am

A new use for coins

Most popular offering at a recent fund-raiser was selling chances on a "Pot-o-Gold." A fishbowl full of $1.00 coins. Sold many more chances than the usual fund-raiser 50-50 or other such devices. "Oooh! Shiny!"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:53 pm

I didn't realize till today that I can pay my water bill with a Credit card without any service charge. This will be about $100 to $140 every two months.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by sunk818
PayPal's merchant rate is 1.9% + $0.30 if you can process $100k or more per month. If you process $10k x 10, total fees would come out to $1,903. Your total cash back would be $2,000. You just made $97.

I don't know if 100k points for $1,903 makes sense though assuming 1:1.
Correct me if I'm wrong here... but the flexible fee % is based on the previous month. So you would have to do $100k in spending at a 2.9% fee the previous month in order to get to the discounted 1.9%.

Unless you did $3k+ spend one month, the next month do $10k+ spend, etc... to work your spending up to get the 1.9%
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by metoo
I didn't realize till today that I can pay my water bill with a Credit card without any service charge. This will be about $100 to $140 every two months.
This is one of the reasons I suggest that folks do a thorough examination of their budgets. It's not just because budgets are a good, general financial idea; it's because it's amazing how much in your budget may be able to be run through a credit card without incurring service or "convenience" charges. I was stunned when I analyzed my budget and figured out I could easily put $3500 to $4000 per month on credit cards, pay the balance every month, and avoid incurring service charges.

I also found that certain expenses I had previously paid in cash could also help me build up miles by using Amex's and my airlines' shopping malls. And, if you eat dinners out regularly, as I do, you're missing out on a great opportunity if you're not enrolled in a dining program.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This is one of the reasons I suggest that folks do a thorough examination of their budgets. It's not just because budgets are a good, general financial idea; it's because it's amazing how much in your budget may be able to be run through a credit card without incurring service or "convenience" charges. I was stunned when I analyzed my budget and figured out I could easily put $3500 to $4000 per month on credit cards, pay the balance every month, and avoid incurring service charges.

I also found that certain expenses I had previously paid in cash could also help me build up miles by using Amex's and my airlines' shopping malls. And, if you eat dinners out regularly, as I do, you're missing out on a great opportunity if you're not enrolled in a dining program.
4,000 a month. Thats a very good amount using CC. I assume you are using this via a Biz acct. If not, perhaps you could list what you could charge.

The only thing that works for me monthly.
grocery=$150, gas=varies, utility bill--but this has a $9.99 charge for using with my CC.
phone/cable/internet service--all as one combo charge=about $100/month,
insurance=pay this as once a year, rent=landlord don't accept CC.
misc=coffee etc
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
hmmm let's see:

cable (no bundle deal contract anymore--bummer) $175 on my AMEX HH (6pts per dollar)

Wireless self + wife's phones with Verizon uber plan $160? on my AMEX HH (6pts per dollar)

VT property elec bill $60-150 on a Visa (they dont take AMEX)

Vermont Mutual insurances for auto, two homes, car, etc... I dunno but the recent bill on one of them was like $233

Groceries on my AMEX HH (6pts per dollar) $100/week = $400/mo

Gas: I dont wanna know. It's a lot! I use many CCs for this

shopping $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all on CCs all the time!

With other misc things we do all the time--a bill here, a kids thing there, a car maint issue, a travel related issue, whatever... we probably spend AT LEAST $5-6k/month on CCs as a family of four per month if you averaged it out over a year. This is because EVERYTHING WE DO that can be done is done on a CC that earns something somewhere! And if it has to be cash, we get the coins.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
hmmm let's see:

cable (no bundle deal contract anymore--bummer) $175 on my AMEX HH (6pts per dollar)

Wireless self + wife's phones with Verizon uber plan $160? on my AMEX HH (6pts per dollar)

VT property elec bill $60-150 on a Visa (they dont take AMEX)

Vermont Mutual insurances for auto, two homes, car, etc... I dunno but the recent bill on one of them was like $233

Groceries on my AMEX HH (6pts per dollar) $100/week = $400/mo

Gas: I dont wanna know. It's a lot! I use many CCs for this

shopping $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all on CCs all the time!

With other misc things we do all the time--a bill here, a kids thing there, a car maint issue, a travel related issue, whatever... we probably spend AT LEAST $5-6k/month on CCs as a family of four per month if you averaged it out over a year. This is because EVERYTHING WE DO that can be done is done on a CC that earns something somewhere! And if it has to be cash, we get the coins.
Couldnt agree more.

My wife and I put every possible charge we can on CC. Any charge that cant be put on CC (and there are very few of them these days), $1 coins.

Earning enough points/miles for award redemption is a lot easier than people think. It just requires some organization
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by freezone
4,000 a month. Thats a very good amount using CC. I assume you are using this via a Biz acct. If not, perhaps you could list what you could charge.

The only thing that works for me monthly.
grocery=$150, gas=varies, utility bill--but this has a $9.99 charge for using with my CC.
phone/cable/internet service--all as one combo charge=about $100/month,
insurance=pay this as once a year, rent=landlord don't accept CC.
misc=coffee etc
None of that is business spending at all. Flip the question: what expenses can you not run through a credit card? I'm in the same boat as you--my mortgage holder won't take credit cards for my monthly payment (and that's clearly the holy grail for most of us because most of us could earn a roundtrip ticket or two on that expense) and I can't make my car payment with credit cards. Some of my utility companies impose a service charge for making a payment via credit card--I pay those bills by check.

That leaves almost everything else in your budget that you might be able to run through a credit card. That's why I suggest reviewing your budget to see what those expenses might be. Although I won't pay a service charge for monthly purchases, I will consider it for annual expenses, such as my personal property tax and insurance payments. Telephone and cellphone bills can generally be paid by credit card.

I'm fortunate that I'm at a high wage earning point in my life. You might not yet be there. Don't stretch it. I believe that you should pay off your credit card bill in full each month because if you don't, money you'd rather be spending on travel will soon be going to pay off the interest on your credit card!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Flipping the question makes sense.

for me:

no mortgages on two properties. But yeah, that's a big one.

I have to pay HO insurance and they DO take CCs it seems, although you have to call in to make the payments.

I have to pay property taxes (in some states home owners insurance and prop taxes are rolled into one's mortgage so when you do not have a mortgage you have to pay these quarterly on your own) and in my home town in MA the town hall will not take a coin or a CC. But in my VT property I can coin them.

A yearly fee to the Inn that runs the property around our VT property--can take a CC for this and in fact it would go thru as a travel expense since it's paid to a hotel so I gotta try using my C1 card now! lol

Auto: well I would love a new car but we currently have two cars that are paid off, no payments. If I did get one I would do my darndest to pay most of it with CCs tho. No payments!

Some utilities in both states of two properties. Some take CCs and some do not.

If you pay some lawyers or government factions they often only take checks or MOs.

School stuff for the kids, summer camps, etc... none of these take CCs and you cant really coin them since it's all local people who know your wife and she'd kill you! lol

Everything else: CC!

oh.. yah I have an Equity line with Citi. That's the only debt. I could coin it or pay with money orders. Or transfer money in from citi checking

Last edited by Marathon Man; Jun 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:33 am

For those of you that think all of a sudden you are going to put 100k through your PP account in one month are living in fantasy land. Legit or not they will close your account in a heartbeat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.