Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Question about Amazon Payments -- I just joined last week and successfully sent $1000 over two transactions this week. Is the "monthly" counter based on the calendar month (May), or a 30 day period or something else?

Also, if I try to do another payment this month, what will happen -- will it automatically reject it, or just subject me to a potential account closure?
It's calendar month.

I don't think it will let you use a credit card for payment if you have already used 1000$ quota for the month. Haven't tried though
Old May 20, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
something brought up in prior post that i have never thought of was buying with cc and then returning to bank debit card. this seems so obvious/simple. in my experience when returning to cc the retailer hasn't cared if it was actually the same card, just the same credit company, visa, mc. my debit card is bankdirect with visa logo. so as long as i buy with visa cc i should be able to return to the debit card. i guess ill have to try it out.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by koctail
something brought up in prior post that i have never thought of was buying with cc and then returning to bank debit card. this seems so obvious/simple. in my experience when returning to cc the retailer hasn't cared if it was actually the same card, just the same credit company, visa, mc. my debit card is bankdirect with visa logo. so as long as i buy with visa cc i should be able to return to the debit card. i guess ill have to try it out.
only works for some retailers.
I know Starbucks (for things like coffee makers, mugs, etc) and West Marine --and some True Value hardware stores will let you. I have never tried Nordstrom but some here have said they will too, and I have seen it done at Walmart when waiting in the CS line.
Old May 22, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by GoGreen
Well, because I don't want to have to actually spend all that money to use the VISA GC's over time. With Zappos I'll get the refund in 2 or 3 months. Besides, I buy a lot of things at Zappos, and there is always the chance that they'll send me something that I intend to return, and I end up loving it and keeping it - I think Zappos is aware of that tendency. So perhaps that increases the scrupuality of the concept.
I'd vote that it doesn't. Stores accept that you may order 2-3 dresses, intending to keep the one that you like best because you may keep 2 and you'll promptly return the other(s). Ordering items that you have no intention of keeping in such a quantity, and holding onto them for so long, drives up costs for other consumers.
Old May 22, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
I'd vote that it doesn't. Stores accept that you may order 2-3 dresses, intending to keep the one that you like best because you may keep 2 and you'll promptly return the other(s). Ordering items that you have no intention of keeping in such a quantity, and holding onto them for so long, drives up costs for other consumers.
Which is what's great about a restocking fee: it assesses the costs involved in a return only to that customer performing the return. In that regard, it's like a fee for checked luggage.

If you think there's a decent chance you might return something, by all means, shop at the store with a Zappos-like return policy. If you are pretty sure you won't need that eventuality, then pay less elsewhere.
Old May 22, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Just checked the apps - debit or check card only
I used my chase credit card a while ago at a Chase local branch to open a checking account without any advance fee.

They did tell me without any advance charge by using Chase credit card to fund new checking account.
Old May 22, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Which is what's great about a restocking fee: it assesses the costs involved in a return only to that customer performing the return. In that regard, it's like a fee for checked luggage.

If you think there's a decent chance you might return something, by all means, shop at the store with a Zappos-like return policy. If you are pretty sure you won't need that eventuality, then pay less elsewhere.
I'd draw a distinction between "decent chance you might return something" and buying something with no intention of keeping it.

Last edited by Mile-a-holic; May 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm Reason: See now that multiple spends so perhaps $2500 at Zappos is normal
Old May 22, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd draw a distinction between "decent chance you might return something" and buying something with no intention of keeping it.
Absolutely - the Zappos/Costco/Home Depot buy and later return for a different credit option, is not something I'm in favor of either.

I'm not sure how I square that with my continuing use of the Mint, but such is life.
Old May 22, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)

absolutely agree
Old May 23, 2011, 5:53 pm

what about poker sites? anyone ever tried depositing funds via credit cards and then withdrawing to the bank? just a thought, never actually tried this myself.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:58 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
correct. it just refuses to process it....

Originally Posted by sandipagr
It's calendar month.

I don't think it will let you use a credit card for payment if you have already used 1000$ quota for the month. Haven't tried though
Old May 24, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
I'm sure someone said it earlier in this thread, but don't buy AMEX GC with your Citibank Cards! They treat all AMEX GC purchases as Cash Advance (along with transactions with other "financial institutions"), charge you 5% on it, and you don't get any miles!

Dont make my $75 mistake...

Friendly
Old May 24, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kanman75
what about poker sites? anyone ever tried depositing funds via credit cards and then withdrawing to the bank? just a thought, never actually tried this myself.
It has worked in the past.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
1) click this link and join bigcrumbs.com. It's free and the link is a referral link so yah I will earn something for it but so then will you.

...You ordered $5,000 GCs... at 1.6% cash back you earned $80.

...You earned $10 and made your goal. Not bad.

Repeat.
And repeat again
times the number of credit cards you have.

risks and pains:

1) the mint is still down
2) codes aint working and we cant get new onws
3) big crumbs fails to post credits or you hate waiting even as they do.
4) stores will not let you convert them to Visas
5)Mint stops taking GCs --even Visas
6) but ... do we all do all this for anyway if not for the risky fun of it, eh?
lol
good luck[/QUOTE]

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT...
I load up on Gift cards (which earns you money) that may not take away the fees. TRY to buy different gift cards with more fees (Though you might not be able to buy GC w/ GC)... Then TRY to buy from the US MINT (though they may not take GC).

When I could just buy straight from the mint in the first place.

PROS vs CONS of not just buying straight from the mint.
CONS
-you end up with $5k in gift cards that you cant buy MINT coins with
-the fees arent waived and it cost a fair amount more to buy from the mint than it would have

PROS
-there is a small chance that if all works out you make close to $10 for hours of work.

... not to be a jerk... but I'm just gonna keep ordering from the mint with my CC.

*I now understand and take back what I said MarathonMan*

Last edited by travelisfree; May 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm
Old May 24, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
BC is a great place, never a problem and cash back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.