Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I imagine everything all of us did was perfectly within the terms they provided to us

So what i propose now is that if theyre going to shut us down for improper business, that we do the same to them

Everyone here who experienced this issue MUST write to their AGO and to the BBB. Those agencies act when they see similar complaints and ns needs to be out of biz
I would complain to the new U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. They seem to be taking a lead in holding the banks to fair practices. Holding money from an account for weeks after closing the account seems abusive and punitive. They should be able to mail it within a few business days.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:10 pm

Idea on hitting the spending requirement

Hi all,

I have an idea on hitting the spending requirement. As we all know, the airline companys are selling some refundable ticket which cost at least 5000. If I buy an advanced refundable ticket, say 6 months prior to departure, and then make it charged on my new-opened card. Keep the ticket for 3 months and then cancel it, then the total cost will be refunded to the card. And during this period, transfer all the bonus points or miles, even run out of them. I am not sure what will happen to the card issuer and whether they will claim back the points or not. But I will definitely do the experiment and report back after I succeed.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Yes, of course the card issuer will recover the points from you somehow. Creditcard companies think of these things.

Your idea is better for timing to get the points now for a purchase you plan to make later.

That is: buy the $5000 refundable ticket now, make another actual $5000 purchase months from now, that you had planned all along, and cancel the ticket.

Hopefully the real purchase and the refund transact in the same statement period.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Heres my philosophy input on NS for those who havent signed up yet:

1. Dont use a referral link. Sure you miss out on the $20 but in the long run, you will recoup this quick with points. Too many NS accounts are targeted the moment they are open because the person who referred it most likely abused it.

2. Dont go on a loading spree. Load 1k a week. Takes patience.

3. Pay up the $10 fee a month option and actually go out and use the card to at least make it look like your using it for purpose intended.

4. In one year, you will have spent 52k on office purchases and would net 250k in chase points which we know is probably valued at $7k a year.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:54 pm

Chase reserves the right to reclaim the points/miles from your account if you cancel the card in the first 6 months, they may even bill you for the miles if your account doesn't have enough miles.

For American Express, if have a negative points balance for more than 1 year, they will bill you at 2.2 cents per point owe to them.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:05 pm

Is that coming from someone who got shut down or is successfully flying under the radar?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:24 am

You make me chuckle sometimes man.
I agree. It seems every thread that pops up on how to generate miles/points, QL_714 was already in the know and has been doing it for yrs.

Anyways, Nordstrom's is still alive for those who are trying to meet min spends in a ways other than prepaid cards.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: Many
I would personally use this tactic in one specific situation: I will meet a spending bonus within the stipulated time frame, but want the bonus miles to post right away for a redemption I'm looking to make soon. For instance, if I need to spend $5,000 within 6 months, and expect it will take most of the 6 months to complete it, but I need the bonus miles now for a redemption, I could follow your tactic safely. Otherwise I think you're looking for trouble.

Last edited by srdshelly; Sep 10, 2012 at 4:47 am
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by DrSifu
Anyways, Nordstrom's is still alive for those who are trying to meet min spends in a ways other than prepaid cards.
Now there is a new idea. Are we in a time warp?
Just make sure your intent will not be taken as to commit fraud.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Once on an AA Citi card with a $1500 spending requirement to get 75k miles, I made a purchase of about $750. This is what got me over the $1500 spending requirement to get the bonus miles. But the product ended up being defective, and I returned it after the 75k miles had posted.

Over the next couple of statements, I made charges totaling over that $750 threshold. Citi did not revoke the 75k miles during the lag time between the $750 credit and the time it took to charge another $750 to the account.

This was a legitimate case of returning a defective product and then in good faith following through with the minimum charge after the fact. I think if I agreed to the terms, I need to abide by them.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by DrSifu
I agree. It seems every thread that pops up on how to generate miles/points, QL_714 was already in the know and has been doing it for yrs.
I don't claim to know anything. It was only a lucky guess when I said your WF post had wrong information. It only took 142 posts later to correct some of it. Let’s see how long it takes to correct the rest (just guessing again ).
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:31 am
xp0

The new direction of this thread should be talking about meeting spend requirements when your OD is as dry as an AA meeting and they haven't restocked their supply in months... This seems to be the trend in my area.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by QL_714
We have been down this road many times. You know my position on these deals and it has not changed. Many have had their hard work posted because some cannot keep what they learn via a PM private. These same members now won’t even help via PM anymore. If you want to open this can of worms again go right ahead. All I ask is if you get caught fishing in a pond just move on to a new pond. No need to go kicking and screaming.
Perhaps. But what I think you need to consider is the fact that many of your posts make you look as though you know all these things but will never give up an ounce of anything except criticism when someone gets it wrong. There are even a few little bursts of that in the posts following the one I am quoting here from you. Maybe it would be best to lace some of your necessary secrecy with a few tidbits of information so that people WANT to respect and understand your stance, not just shake their heads at it.

Originally Posted by xp0
The new direction of this thread should be talking about meeting spend requirements when your OD is as dry as an AA meeting and they haven't restocked their supply in months... This seems to be the trend in my area.
Most AA meetings I have heard about are anything but dry lol. But at least some court costs for DUI can be paid for with a mileage earning CC

Last edited by mia; Sep 10, 2012 at 9:07 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: Several dozen
So we have hit a new low - DUIing for miles! What next - buying stolen airline vouchers? Oops - some of our judges and our district attorney were caught doing just that!

Most AA meetings I have heard about are anything but dry lol. But at least some court costs for DUI can be paid for with a mileage earning CC
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
So we have hit a new low - DUIing for miles! What next - buying stolen airline vouchers? Oops - some of our judges and our district attorney were caught doing just that!
lol nahhh... my plan is to stand in the lobby of the ski areas season pass sales office during one of those busy leaf peeping weekends and ask people to let me buy their $1500+ passes with my SPG card like I did last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.