Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Google detects which device you have.

You can't manually select which one.

If you have never connected to google play without your device, no device will be listed, and if it's not listed, see previous point about not being able to add it manually.

If the device you use is not compatible (or you have none at all), google play won't let you download it.

Not saying there isn't potentially a back door way to get around this, but, I will say I certainly don't know of it, and my playing around and searching for about an hour last night did not reveal any.
root, unlock, install google wallet apk. it will say you are on an unsupported device but it will still work
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Google detects which device you have.

You can't manually select which one.

If you have never connected to google play without your device, no device will be listed, and if it's not listed, see previous point about not being able to add it manually.
Yup, I was thinking of phones, not tablets. All my phones are conected at the provider so it didn't orccur to me that you'd need to physically link a device.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:37 pm

Don't give up so easily. There are people in different countries even using GW--even though it isn't supported there.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by ianturner
root, unlock, install google wallet apk. it will say you are on an unsupported device but it will still work
That would make sense. Thanks.

Unfortunately, looks like my phone (MyTouch 3G Slide, AKA, HTC Expresso) is going to be a pain to root (I'm on 2.2.1). Probably a good idea to eventually do, but, for purposes of this exercise (and time constraints), it does seem finding a store with a generous return policy on tablets is the better approach (for me).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:08 pm

That would make sense. Thanks.

Unfortunately, looks like my phone (MyTouch 3G Slide, AKA, HTC Expresso) is going to be a pain to root (I'm on 2.2.1). Probably a good idea to eventually do, but, for purposes of this exercise (and time constraints), it does seem finding a store with a generous return policy on tablets is the better approach (for me).
yeah, i'd want to at least be on gingerbread if trying it. That's the great thing about the nexus phones, always getting the new OS first.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:09 pm

Thanks for the info on returns.

Funny thing is... the value of the $8000 spend could be worth the value of buying the tablet anyway (i.e BC -> AMEX + Card Spend). Seems like $112 cashback + 8000 points. So, even if you don't return the tablet, you're likely still ahead.
Sorry for being slow, but can you break down where you're getting $112 cashback (and what "BC" stands for)?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Sorry for being slow, but can you break down where you're getting $112 cashback (and what "BC" stands for)?
Big Crumbs
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:32 pm

This Google wallet prepaid card thing got my attention because I just bought a nexus 7 and I am also getting a card with a 3k spend . The card should be arriving in the mail in a few days, so I should make it under the wire. I probably won't spend any of the 3k I put on the card -- I'll just ask Google for a refund. Has anybody used the Google card, or got a refund?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner
I have the ATT version of this phone which is a little different but here is a quick google search on doing it with the verizon version

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12...exus-easy-way/

also might want to check out xda forums under the verizon galaxy nexus section and see if there is a newer way to do it. it's pretty easy to root and unlock the bootloader and it can always be reversed.
Okay, I looked at some of this, but I am not a techie and worried about all the disclaimers. Any chance I ruin my phone doing this? Is it worth 8000 SPG points?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pcharles
Big Crumbs
Or bad credit
Or before columbus
Or big caaaahuna
Or

Lol
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Or bad credit
Or before columbus
Or big caaaahuna
Or

Lol
Beware Cardinals
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Beware Cardinals
More like Big Cajones !
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:13 pm

Are there any reports on:

(1) Whether adding funds posts as purchase or CA?

(2) Whether Visa GCs can be used to add funds? (this one could really leverage the deal)

Time is running out. I will try to give one or both a shot ASAP but if anyone already knows, a PM would be appreciated.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Okay, I looked at some of this, but I am not a techie and worried about all the disclaimers. Any chance I ruin my phone doing this? Is it worth 8000 SPG points?
if you follow the steps you shouldn't brick your phone. I'd double check over at xda for the easiest way to root your version. They should have a thing you download, plug your phone in and just click and it does everything for you.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Beware Cardinals
Lol!

Or BE a cardinal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.