Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: Several dozen
He's real enough. I just saw his green face and his dog Max. He muttered something about leaving a present in your stocking on January 1 if you have an employer. Oh you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch....

Originally Posted by diogenes2011
He's not?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:34 pm

**Update. You can load $300 on a variable load Amazon card for $250. In Texas, Amazon now charges sales tax, so you have to make a run for the border to preserve value. Amazon cards are jumping off the racks now.**

[QUOTE=AlohaDaveKennedy;19773636]Mighty uncool, captain! We don't want those in the lesser 49 flocking down here to lay their unclean hands on our fine Texas gift cards. Go away! Shooo! There is a better sale in Oklahoma!

Originally Posted by captaincool
A couple actual contributions to this thread (it seems so few & far between):

1. For those of you in TX, HEB has a sale for $50 off $300 gift cards. Ends 12/4 **Just an Urban Legend**

2. Not as lucrative but nationwide, Toys 'R Us has 10% a few gift cards including amazon starting 12/2. YMMV on upgrading gift cards
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
**Update. You can load $300 on a variable load Amazon card for $250. In Texas, Amazon now charges sales tax, so you have to make a run for the border to preserve value. Amazon cards are jumping off the racks now.**
Since it is basically over and I doubt anyone who doesn't already live in TX hasn't gotten in, I cleaned out $600 of GCs for $500 (went to two different stores as one didn't have the Amazon GCs but I went back to it for something else). And I've taken them back to Amazon tax-free MA!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:15 pm

If you shop at Safeway grocery stores, and have signed up for the "Safeway Just for U" promotions, you might check this week's e-mail from Safeway. My e-mail included $15.00 off on a $100 MasterCard gift card (which I was able to purchase with a credit card).

There is an activation fee of $5.95, but you still come out ahead. And I visited the jungle to extract the value from the card.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:11 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Did "the Owl" change to cash advance?

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
hit First Bank of the Spook and then Save the Spotted Owls out west with the Sierra Club..
I've seen these references several times in this thread and not paid much attention since I already had a longstanding relationship with an organization that allowed the desired transations. I only just recently realized that the organization is the same entity referred to here as "First Bank of the Spook". Very funny nickname.

That motivated me to find the Owl, which I believe I did. Unfortunately, they disclose that the transaction "will" be reflected as a cash advance. (Not the more common disclosure that your card issuer "may" treat it that way.) I did a test transaction with a card that works for the Spook and confirmed that it was a cash advance. Is there something I'm missing about how to get some benefit from the Owl or did they change their policy?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:38 am

I'm verifying Owl now with a (Chase) test. Will let you know if it flys or if the bank gave me the bird.

**Update - transaction is still "pending"

***Update - transaction showing up as a purchase on the Chase Airtran

And I'm now over the limit Owl said I could go with total card deposits...

Originally Posted by RLG
I've seen these references several times in this thread and not paid much attention since I already had a longstanding relationship with an organization that allowed the desired transations. I only just recently realized that the organization is the same entity referred to here as "First Bank of the Spook". Very funny nickname.

That motivated me to find the Owl, which I believe I did. Unfortunately, they disclose that the transaction "will" be reflected as a cash advance. (Not the more common disclosure that your card issuer "may" treat it that way.) I did a test transaction with a card that works for the Spook and confirmed that it was a cash advance. Is there something I'm missing about how to get some benefit from the Owl or did they change their policy?

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Dec 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:06 pm

A couple actual contributions to this thread (it seems so few & far between):

1. For those of you in TX, HEB has a sale for $50 off $300 gift cards. Ends 12/4
This is an awesome deal. Does anyone know a good way to liquidate the Amazon gift cards? I bought some for personal use, but would also like to knock out some minimum spend with this deal after work today if I can figure out a way to recover most of the cost. Would rather not use eBay due to fraud concerns.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by redbirdsj
This is an awesome deal. Does anyone know a good way to liquidate the Amazon gift cards? I bought some for personal use, but would also like to knock out some minimum spend with this deal after work today if I can figure out a way to recover most of the cost. Would rather not use eBay due to fraud concerns.
eBay or craigslist is the best route to retain value but unfortunately amazon gift cards can't really be sold anywhere for some reason. I've had some success selling on coupontrade through topcashback but I don't like relying on a cashback site to remain profitable
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:53 pm

You could regift them. As in sell them via Amazon Payments so they can be rebought with a credit card. The best use for them is to transport them across state lines where Texas can't get sales tax. Nothing again the State of Texas, but not fond of the State of Taxes.

Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting spending up without the Mint

Sounding the alarm again. Just went into my closest OD. They no longer have Visa/MC/Amex cards for any value over $100. All of the Amex prepaid cards are gone as well. Might want to go check your local one soon...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Sounding the alarm again. Just went into my closest OD. They no longer have Visa/MC/Amex cards for any value over $100. All of the Amex prepaid cards are gone as well. Might want to go check your local one soon...
As of yesterday mine had 100s
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of yesterday mine had 100s
Did it have higher amounts?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:50 pm

Did it have higher amounts?
I should clarify: 100s of $500 gift cards available. Vanilla & Amex variety
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by metoo
Try another but you may want to call first so you don't just go waste time and gas. The CVS within 3 blocks from my house has a sign stating "Cash and Debit only" for the Cards.

About 15 minutes ago, I called a CVS store 3 miles from my house. CS said lots of Beanies available. When asked if i can use credit card to pay, she said she doesn't see why not. I asked just to confirm and if she has seen a sign saying Cash or debit only. She said "no. So...will be going there after rush hour.
Great Job You might as well asked if she could consult with manager and call corporate just to make sure. Perhaps call the local news channel in your area and ask for an investigative reporter.

I was walking on Beach Road here in Pattaya Beach Thailand and I heard two Russian tourists asking a street walker if she knew if CVS sold beans for cash and she said..... Wait let me check the local Whore Blog we shouild have the info by now.....LOL
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by yoyo
Not sure how many times were you actually mugged?

During the Northeast blackout no one could use the ATMs. I was working in NYC (downtown Manhattan) and always carried $300 in my wallet (once the bills were folded tightly they really did not take much space). The cab I stopped happened to have a full tank of gas and the driver demanded $200 cash to drive me to my home in CT (remember none of the gas station was working after the power went out). I allowed him to pick up more people but he demanded everyone he picked up to show him the cash. We ended up with 4 people in one cab. None of my neighbors who worked in the city made it home that day.

Now my job is only 10 minutes from my house I carry only $50 cash. You never know.
Like Al Pacino said in Donnie Brasco- A Wise Guy Carries Cash in a Roll
I never understood the old men with the big billfold thing with pictures and an Arby coupon or the Senior Card for Old Country Buffet and all in there.

A wallet with a few cards and ID and some extra cash stashed for emergencies like a few hundreds works for me but I prefer to keep a few hundred folded over in the pocket. Fast in and out without exposing a chance to lose something from a wallet and it is easy to see exactly what you have instead of those guys looking in the back of a wallet past the cobb webs LOL..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.