Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by dawgs
Just got back from my CVS. They would not let me use my Hilton Amex or an card to buy Vanilla cards.

Got my BlueBird card last night and am not able to fund it.

Should I just try Walgreens and other CVS's in the area or has Vanilla gone all cash?
Try another but you may want to call first so you don't just go waste time and gas. The CVS within 3 blocks from my house has a sign stating "Cash and Debit only" for the Cards.

About 15 minutes ago, I called a CVS store 3 miles from my house. CS said lots of Beanies available. When asked if i can use credit card to pay, she said she doesn't see why not. I asked just to confirm and if she has seen a sign saying Cash or debit only. She said "no. So...will be going there after rush hour.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by captaincool
Who carries cash solely for the purpose of giving it to a mugger?

There are very rare circumstances where cash is needed instead of plastic. In those circumstances, it's usually very easy to plan ahead and bring cash that day only or stop at an ATM that is convenient

My original point was to use the CC more often and ditch the $70 in small bills. I usually have 0 cash. Some prefer to keep a couple 5s or 10s or something in the wallet. To each their own. Anything is preferable to George Costanza Syndrome
Not sure how many times were you actually mugged?

During the Northeast blackout no one could use the ATMs. I was working in NYC (downtown Manhattan) and always carried $300 in my wallet (once the bills were folded tightly they really did not take much space). The cab I stopped happened to have a full tank of gas and the driver demanded $200 cash to drive me to my home in CT (remember none of the gas station was working after the power went out). I allowed him to pick up more people but he demanded everyone he picked up to show him the cash. We ended up with 4 people in one cab. None of my neighbors who worked in the city made it home that day.

Now my job is only 10 minutes from my house I carry only $50 cash. You never know.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Try another but you may want to call first so you don't just go waste time and gas. The CVS within 3 blocks from my house has a sign stating "Cash and Debit only" for the Cards.

About 15 minutes ago, I called a CVS store 3 miles from my house. CS said lots of Beanies available. When asked if i can use credit card to pay, she said she doesn't see why not. I asked just to confirm and if she has seen a sign saying Cash or debit only. She said "no. So...will be going there after rush hour.
Not sure calling is the best idea. It just brings up the idea as a question.

Most here have been driving around to find places and try with CC's to locate them.

If one CVS doesn't work, just try others. It's not uncommon for many to drive all over the place to locate a successful crop and then once located you can continue to go there and/or look for other successful crops.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
Not sure calling is the best idea. It just brings up the idea as a question.

Most here have been driving around to find places and try with CC's to locate them.

If one CVS doesn't work, just try others. It's not uncommon for many to drive all over the place to locate a successful crop and then once located you can continue to go there and/or look for other successful crops.
Okay, won't call anymore. I just spoke to CS who picked up the phone and not the manager....
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:02 pm

Define "Beanie" for me.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:05 pm

Okay, won't call anymore. I just spoke to CS who picked up the phone and not the manager....
Well, actually it's up to you. However, I am just saying it's probably not the best idea to suggest to others.

Another idea is to PM those who are in your area to see if they are willing to share locations. If you can't find anyone, then post for help. It is likely a few people will respond to help you out.^
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
Well, actually it's up to you. However, I am just saying it's probably not the best idea to suggest to others.

Another idea is to PM those who are in your area to see if they are willing to share locations. If you can't find anyone, then post for help. It is likely a few people will respond to help you out.^
Calling and asking seems incredibly foolish to me.

Remember, we are skating right along the edges of what these companies think is and is not appropriate. If you want this to last, the absolutely last thing you want to do is call attention to this.

Just go, and try it. If it works, great, thank them and leave. If it doesn't work, thank them and leave. Don't make a fuss.

Keep things quiet, stay below the radar, and you increase the chances this might last for at least a little while.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by chinookie

Remember, we are skating right along the edges of what these companies think is and is not appropriate. If you want this to last, the absolutely last thing you want to do is call attention to this.

Just go, and try it. If it works, great, thank them and leave. If it doesn't work, thank them and leave. Don't make a fuss.

Keep things quiet, stay below the radar, and you increase the chances this might last for at least a little while.
I rarely buy beanies. I have my Chase INK Bold since March 2012 and only spent $4000 on beanies from OD.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by dawgs
Define "Beanie" for me.
I'm surprised more people don't know about them. 'Beanie' is a common name for the close-fitting knitted caps popular in winter. They are a common item of clothing purchased to try and meet minimum spend requirements because of their wide variety of uses--although they are normally hats, you can also use them as gloves, socks, a ski-mask, you name it.
Unfortunately, because these hats are so useful, it's a popular choice for scammers, which led to Office Depot not selling them any more. You can still get them at other stores, but many CVS/Walgreens are selling them at cash only.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Bttc
I'm surprised more people don't know about them. 'Beanie' is a common name for the close-fitting knitted caps popular in winter. They are a common item of clothing purchased to try and meet minimum spend requirements because of their wide variety of uses--although they are normally hats, you can also use them as gloves, socks, a ski-mask, you name it.
Unfortunately, because these hats are so useful, it's a popular choice for scammers, which led to Office Depot not selling them any more. You can still get them at other stores, but many CVS/Walgreens are selling them at cash only.
And here I was thinking we were talking about the mid 90s stuffed animal fad.

http://world.ty.com/catalog/catPage....rrent&lineid=3
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by chinookie
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:00 am

A couple actual contributions to this thread (it seems so few & far between):

1. For those of you in TX, HEB has a sale for $50 off $300 gift cards. Ends 12/4

2. Not as lucrative but nationwide, Toys 'R Us has 10% a few gift cards including amazon starting 12/2. YMMV on upgrading gift cards

Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
A couple actual contributions to this thread (it seems so few & far between):

1. For those of you in TX, HEB has a sale for $50 off $300 gift cards. Ends 12/4

2. Not as lucrative but nationwide, Toys 'R Us has 10% a few gift cards including amazon starting 12/2. YMMV on upgrading gift cards
Nvm found my answer, and a plus of confirmation that it is available at the store closest to where I will be this weekend. ^ for bringing it up.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
FWIW, here's the actual coupon for this promotion I picked up in store recently. Out of curiosity I tried to get a NetSpend reload as it's technically not a Visa/MC/Amex, but no dice. Perhaps this could be a YMMV situation.

If this coupon ends blowing up the blogosphere; can I go ahead and request an invite into one of these fancy ~private~ forums?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sign up for Amex Dell Twitter offer, buy $500 + 2 x $100 GCs from Dell, use coupon vj7$295npv28mn to get $50 off. Bought for 500, sell to CardPool for $588, meet $650 in spend.

Go through Mr Rebates to buy and TopCashback to sell.

Credit to SD.

Last edited by nabeelj; Nov 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.